Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got new bike (998) delivered this morning,have not started it yet just going through some checks and it seems to me that the chain is looser than heck...enough slack in it to hit both top and bottom swing arm protective sliders.The owners manual says at least 25mm free play but lists no maximum free play amount.
Any help on what the freeplay should be and how to adjust would be appreciated. All previous bikes I used to set the chain tension approx.3/4" to 1" slack(total slack up and down) at mid point at tighest spot in direction of rotation.
The owners manual sucks.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
On my 900SS SP there was a little diagram on the swing arm that gave the chain adjustment parameters. It also specified 25mm. That was the distance the chain was to travel from being pushed as CLOSE to the swing arm as possible to as FAR as possible from the swing arm. That distance should be 25mm. measure at the approximate of the swingarm.

Just remember that a new chain will stretch, so no matter what you do, keep an eye on the chain tension regularly for at least the brek-in period.

'Hope this helps.

·
Registered
193 Posts
this is the ferracci way of checking chain adjustment.put one finger in frame bolt hole over chain.sqeeze up on chain with the thumb that is attached to that same hand.while holding,there should be a little play (move up and down with other hand)between chain guard and rear sprocket(under swingarm).a little play not 3/4 of an inch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts