Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've managed to strip out the threads in the hole I drain the oil out of on my '94 KX250. I know this isn't a sportbike....but I figured y'all would know the answer. Where can I get a self tapping screw to fill this hole? Also, do you know of a good web site that sells engine parts? They're awful expensive ordering them from the dealer....

Your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
is there an oil pan on the ex, or do you just have the cases (sorry, i don't know that much about them now-a-days).

if there's a pan, a new pan shouldn't be that much. i paid less than 125 from the dealer for one for my f2.

P

·
0 Posts
KLRAdam said:
Have it heli coiled. But before you do that I'm trying to find another product which is 10X better so stay tuned............
Trust this man's advice, he knows all about piecemealing a bike together.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, found the heli-coil thing at auto-zone, but they were out of the size I needed. So I'm going to go in to Cycle Outfitters in the morning & see if they have either the size I need, or a slightly oversized drain plug.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I too stripped the threads off my oil plug. I recommend not using a heli coil with something you are going to be "unscrewing" (for lack of better words) quite frequently. In my experience its just not as durable. Retapping the existing hole is a much better alternative or possibly look for a used oil pan. Good Luck...what a pain. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
71 Posts
i did the same thing just a few weeks ago, I ended up getting a size up on the oil plug and just re-threaded the oil pan. Just make sure you take it off and clean the shavings really well.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your replies everyone. I looked into the heli-coil thing, and while I found a good number at auto-zone, none were in the size I needed. I called numerous motorcycle suppliers, but no luck. One parts center even said that it would have to be installed by their service department since the hole needed to be retapped. Everywhere else I talked to said it was something I can do myself. Were they just mistaken?

I also checked into oversized drain plugs, but nobody had them in stock. What I did find though, is a bolt that is 7/16ths (which is just larger than the 10mm bolt that was in there. I've not tried to put it in yet, but it should be the closest fit possible.

Also, I've not found a place to order engine parts online. Still looking though....since I'm sure more stuff on this bike will eventually need replaced.

On a humorous note, I started thinking I could just epoxy the damn hole shut, drill it out for an oil change, and then re-epoxy it. Serves the same purpose as a bolt, eh? ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
On a humorous note, I started thinking I could just epoxy the damn hole shut, drill it out for an oil change, and then re-epoxy it. Serves the same purpose as a bolt, eh? ;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ha ha i'm glad to see you still have a sence of humour :D :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts