Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from the Dragon and it was great.Roads were a little slimey on Friday but Saturday it was sweet.We rode it in the sun,in the rain,in the dark and next year(according to Ron and Nancy)we have to do it nude.We even rode it in the truck with bikes in the back.
Knoxville Rats did a great job with sitting this up(clapping loudly for ya-all)Event was well organized and dinner was great.Most fun I had pi$$ing off Beamer guys.
If you guys can do it next year ,it will be last weekend of Sept.There was appox.75 bikes with large percent of them from the sport side(Daytonas,RSs,Speedtriples,STs).Alot of tigers too.
Some pictures are posted on www.tailofthedragon.com
This has been by far the most fun I have ever had rideing a bike(9 years).This area is "The mecca of of motorcycleing" stated Kilrbe and I agree.We only rode the Dragon(repeatedly) and none of the other area roads(hear there are some great ones).Next year we are planning to come a few days early to run some of the other roads first,then Rt.129 cause we know once though it and we will be hooked again.:D

·
Registered
459 Posts
:D i was at the gap with teabagger.that road is awsome.granted we do have so good roads in pa but nothing like the dragon i have neve had so much fun rideing in my entire rideing time and all the hype about cops is a farce i came out of a corner and just shifted to 3rd gear and standing on the side of the road by a bmw car that went over a hill and hit a tree was 2 blount county cops and all they did was look as i went buy and into the next corner.we got no tickets and no damage to ourselves or our bikes.i cant wait till next year i am hoping to go to the dragon at least 2 times.also anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good. cant ride.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
KLRBE said:
anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good. cant ride.:D
You're kidding right?:hurl:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The cherohala skyway is a great ride too and it isn't that far from the gap! Nice wide sweeping turns and some tighter twisty's too! Not an intersection for around 40 miles or so. Fantastic road. The road climbs up to an altitude of around 5300 feet at the top. Great views too if you have time to look at 100 MPH ! LOL Plenty of pull offs all throughout the Skyway. Definately a ride not to miss the next time you are at the gap!

More people seem to get hurt on this road so be careful!

·
Registered
459 Posts
no i am not kiding.i weigh 210lbs and the factory supension set up the way i have it works great.it is all in the tuning of it.it took me a few trys but now it works great.:D

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Tea Bagger said:
We even rode it in the truck with bikes in the back.
So, basically you are the one everyone was calling [email protected]#hole for riding it in the cage and slowing everyone down. Glad you got out with no damage and had a good time. We should try to get a group of Burgh area riders to go up there next yr. I know I alreadyhave one trip planned for the Dragon and possibly another, but you can never go enough.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Re: Re: Dragon Raid.

UglyAngelX said:

So, basically you are the one everyone was calling [email protected]#hole for riding it in the cage and slowing everyone down. Glad you got out with no damage and had a good time. We should try to get a group of Burgh area riders to go up there next yr. I know I alreadyhave one trip planned for the Dragon and possibly another, but you can never go enough.

no we were not the a$$hole$ ththat slowed everyone down we did it at 10 in the morning and only 2 sport bikes came up on us and i moved over asap and let them buy and the a bmw and a harley came up on us about 2 miles later and again i moved over asap and even let them pass so i didnt hold anyone up in the truck.infact we got waves as each one went buy.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
KLRBE said:
no i am not kiding.i weigh 210lbs and the factory supension set up the way i have it works great.it is all in the tuning of it.it took me a few trys but now it works great.:D
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Anyone who says the stock Daytona suspension (especially a 97 model) is good, isn't riding very fast, particularly at your weight.

If you've found a set up that works well for you, at your pace, that's GREAT. I found the stock suspension WAY TOO SOFT on my 98 when I started pushing it and I weigh just a couple pounds more than you. The rear spring on a 97 was rated at like 11 or 11.5 kg/mm, appropriate for 130lbs rider according to the suspension professionals I've talked too. Were you dragging any parts of the bike in the corners?

It's excellent that you found a set up you're happy with, that's what it's all about. It sounds like you guys had a blast. I don't mean to rain on your parade but the generalization you made,
"anyone that says a daytonas stock supension isnt any good, cant ride," is inaccurate pertaining to early T5 Daytonas as a whole.

·
Registered
459 Posts
well let me put it this way i was rubbing my toe sliders on the corners.:D and on the rear supension i cranked in more preload on the rear spring which helps with bottoming out.which has never happened.and i have never had any bike parts rub off the road execpet for the footpegs.and i do belive i was riding dam fast.just because i dont race bikes doesent mean that i have never raced.i used to race in scca sports cars and won a championship the 2nd year i raced after the 4th year it got expensive and i went on to autocrossing and have won a few trophys there and know i have my own performance vw shop and have alot of experence in supension tuning so i just carried it over to the bike ther isnt much difference in a coilover shock on a car as to one on a bike as to the front forks they could use a littel stiffer spring or maybe a thicker fork oil would also help but for my riding style the supension is fine and i dont think i ride thru the corners slow.p.s. ask teabagger.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ahhh no,Kilrbe wasn't slow,in fact on our second day he had some local(assume,cause they were really fast and had the "draw" when we spoke with them) guys behind him and they really were just keeping up to him.I don't think anyone passed him(not sure, I was behind by more then a few corners)I had heard that the factory rear spring and shock worked better if you had a passenger or was heavier then most,not that it was set-up for 130 lbs.I have no problem with mine(2000) and don't see the need for the Ohlins.I don't do track days yet.Kilrbe is helping me tweak it for me,and with each adjustment it gets better.Now I need to get the 190mm rear tire off and get a 180mm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PRO CHOICE one you can live with

Tea Bagger said:
.Now I need to get the 190mm rear tire off and get a 180mm.
I missed meeting you at the Gap, I think? but changing from a 190 to 180 is a better " Choice".......97 sp3 /yellow wheels

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dude I saw you all day but we never spoke,you would be pulling out has i was pulling in,cool bike.
Yes dropping to a 180 makes bike more "flickable" ,Triumph even realized this and all 2002 come with 180mm rear.If your doing a track day,I'm not sure but for the street everyone says this is a good thing to do and will work on factory rims without a problem.
I even read it in either Sport Rider or Cylce World.(not just Triumphs)

·
Registered
35 Posts
KLRBE said:
well let me put it this way i was rubbing my toe sliders on the corners.:D
Wow, congrats man, but some people do that on their way to work. Once you get going, you'll find that the 'Tonas will drag much more, very easily. The 1st time I had my Daytona on the track, I ground both of my pegs to sharp knife like edges. The shifter and brake lever also had a good bit of material removed. The kickstand, belly pan, and header pipes also touched down. Touching the header pipes is just dangerous. There is very little give or flex. I've talked to a couple of guys that high-sided because of this. This condition exists partly due lack of clearance in the header design and the EXTREMELY SOFT suspension.

and on the rear suspension i cranked in more preload on the rear spring which helps with bottoming out.which has never happened. [/B]

Cranking on the preload is just masking the problem. You use your preload to set your static sag for your weight and the type of riding you plan to do. THEN LEAVE IT ALONE. For aggressive street riding you want to shoot for 30mm front and back. Cranking more pre-load limits the suspension from doing it's job correctly. Here is a link to help you set your sag properly:

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?cMenu=4&c=Yes&cSubMenu=11&showPage=#3

and i do belive i was riding dam fast.just because i dont race bikes doesent mean that i have never raced.i used to race in scca sports cars and won a championship the 2nd year i raced after the 4th year it got expensive and i went on to autocrossing and have won a few trophys there[/B]

Wow, I'm sure you have some great stories. I used to race BMX and won the first 11 races I entered on a bike that was rescued from a dumpster. I enjoyed beating the rich kids on their $500 bikes that were 1/3rd the weight of mine. Like your story, relevance in this context.............ZERO.

I thought I was "dam fast" too at one time; I no longer harbor such delusions. Speed is relative. As a rider of a "mature" age, and a former track demon, albeit in a cage, you realize that public streets, especially littered with RV's, guardrails, trees, cliffs, rocks and various unpredictable road hazards, and not the best place to explore the performance envelope of your motorcycle. I look forward to seeing you at a track day sometime in the near future. Allow me to recommend NESBA, www.nesba.com.

and know i have my own performance vw shop [/B]

Question: If you're such a performance enthusiast, why did you insist, in another post on this website, that the fuel injection mapping enhancement tools such as the Power Commander and TuneBoy/Tune Edit, would “blow up your engine”, without a shred of evidence? There's no need to freak people out and spread misinformation like that. I share information relating to these bikes to help fellow Triumph riders get the best experience and performance from their bikes and your statement couldn’t be further from the truth. Same goes for your “anyone that says a Daytona’s stock supension isnt any good. cant ride” comment. If you plan to go fast and you weigh over 150lbs, she needs new suspenders. If you don’t think so, you’re either not going very fast, or not eating enough! LOL! ;)

and have alot of experence in supension tuning so i just carried it over to the bike ther isnt much difference in a coilover shock on a car as to one on a bike as to the front forks they could use a littel stiffer spring or maybe a thicker fork oil would also help but for my riding style the supension is fine and i dont think i ride thru the corners slow.p.s. ask teabagger. [/B]

You don't NEED and expensive Ohlins shock or anything. But I highly recommend some stiffer fork springs and a rear spring. I think I paid $160 for a set of front springs and rear spring. I didn't think I would be able to discern much of a difference and was a non-believer until I tried it. After the spring swap, the only parts touching the tarmac were my pucks and the foot pegs (yeah some rear sets would be nice). Actually Race Tech recommends THINNER oil when you switch to the appropriate spring rate.

I am by no means a suspension expert. I'm just sharing my own personal experience, and passing on information I've gained from asking tons of questions of the professionals, experts and fellow Daytona riders. Here is a link to Race Tech where the Daytona is described as being sprung for a 130lbs rider, just to prove I'm not making this shit up:

http://valving.racetech.com:81/cgi-win/SendBikeInfo.exe?Street%Triumph%T595+Daytona%98-01%language\english\street\Srchpr_s.htm%

Again, if it works for you, cool, but don't make your suspension compromise by setting your sag outta whack. Once you're in a better environment and start getting faster, you will learn of the shortcomings of the stock suspension. But if you're never gonna see the track, you should be alright, (remember header pipes + tarmac = high-side = very bad day) but you will still see the advantages of a better set up on the street too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Tea Bagger said:
I'm dailing in my sag now.
Sweet!:thumb:

....saddly though, so is my wife....:eek: :crying:

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahahahaha.My front was way stiffer then the rear,dailing up the rear,then dailing down the forks.I got to get someone else to help me,wife doesn't enjoy helping.Also,leaveing bike on stand,will that affect measurements?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts