Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Down.... Broken Clavicle - Pictures Added

Well... it finally happened. :mad: I rode for years with nothing... GSXR, 650 special and a few Harleys.... just recently got a bone stock ZX6e and got back on the road. Yesterday morning I was heading to work and going through a little S-curve. Just before the last apex of the curve, rounding the corner... I get to stare at a little red car going wide... in my lane. Only taking up about half of my lane, but then I went to the outside and proceeded to continue to take the curve I guess the force of going wide so quick was a little much to hold. (an object in motion tends to... blah blah blah). Anyway...It simply wouldn't quite hold at that point, started sliding just a bit, if I'd have had 6 more inches of blacktop, I'd have been fine, but the back wheel dropped off the edge and once it hit that gravel.... off it went.

Then I committed the cardinal sin. :( Once it went off, it straightened, soooooo.... yep, you got it.... ( I can save it ) Yea, right. Instead of laying it down immediately I tried to save my baby. DO NOT attempt that. :rolleyes: I won't go into detailing the various positions and junk like that. LOL Ended up coming out very blessed with just a snapped clavicle.

Had tons of people stop offering help, Sherrif's department stopped and stayed till my buddy got there. Gave me the name of a good place to get used parts if I wanted. He rides as well.

Need forks, and plastic (front only) but that looks to be the extent of it.

LESSON LEARNED: LAY IT FREAKIN' DOWN. DO NOT try to save your 'baby'. I have been told a million times and have preached it over and over, but.... when the time came... :mad:

Any links to where I can get parts reasonable would be appreciated. They said 6 weeks to heal up.... uh... I don't THINK so. I'm ready to get on the road now. It was a beautiful day too!! And I missed it. Grrrr:mad:

·
Registered
115 Posts
[email protected], Brother!

Heya, I'm glad you're okay. I hate to hear about a rider going down. This hits a little closer to home seeing as we have the same bike. Not many of us "E" riders out there. As to parts you may need, I'm not sure if you're looking for just spare parts or some Sharkskin fairings. I looked on ebay a few days ago and they had some ZX6E items for sale. Had some fairings too. Also, I started a thread called "ZX6E Riders/Owners" in the Kawasaki forum. The guys listed some aftermarket parts/products and some sites to look at.

Again, glad to hear you're okay. Hope the info I gave you helps a little.

Omega Purp

·
Registered
128 Posts
That sucks, my sympathy to you and your bike.
Just a note about your clavicle, the doc really does mean at _least_ 6 weeks to fully heal. I broke mine last summer on a dirt bike, and about 6 weeks later dropped it very gently and managed to snap it again in the same spot.:rolleyes: Of course, I was back on my old 650 on the street within a week, shifting clutchless because it hurt too much to stretch my left arm out to the bar.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
I broke mine a few years ago (fell off a horse) and didn't follow the doc's instructions and it didn't heal right. Even though it sucks...follow instructions :)

Sorry about your bike :( and glad you are okay :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
happy

Hey man, I'm glad you're ok!!! Hope you get your bike back together quickly.

I'm just curious, but what kind of tires were you running when you wrecked???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battle X's
I firmly believe if I had a little more time under my belt recently (been years since I've ridden a lot) I probably coulda pulled it out.

Hey! This doesn't make me a Squid, does it??? LOL
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
According to our books this prang does not bring you into the squid class. LOL
Still sorry to hear about a fellow rider going down because of a cage driver, not to mention injuries & costs.
Pity you were not driving an 18 wheeler for then we know what would have happened to the red car on the wrong side of the road.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hrm, you may want to go back to D207's on the bike. I've tried the BT010's and wasn't all that impressed. They stuck great in a straight line, but not so well in those curves. Not as well as the 207's did for me at least.

For parts, check out RonAyers Motorsports. They have very very good prices if you order online, and are very quick to deliver what you order. If you don't see the parts listed directly, just pull up the buy kawasaki website and get the parts diagrams for your pick, and pull up individual part numbers, and use ron ayer's part number search.

Best of luck in getting back on the street asap.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ouch!

Get well soon!

(Replace your regular morning OJ with the kind that has extra calcium in it, and eat lotsa stuff with cheese. The more calcium you get, the faster you knit, and most of us adult types don't get enough.)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Been there. Last year I ran wide on a corner and ended up highsiding. Broke my arm, my fairing, my handlebars and a few levers. 6 weeks in plaster sucked but I did heal. You might try BikeBandit.com for parts. They deal with OEM and used parts as well. Heal Quick!!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hey KN98,

I broke my collarbone last year, kept me off the 9R for 6 weeks
but I was on the V65 after 4 weeks. I know its tough, but let it heal.

It always could have been worse.

At least you are younger & will heal quicker....;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
BEST wishes 4 a QUICK Recovery

I wish you, and your bike the very very best for a quick and HEALTHY recovery. Definitely sounds like I was not alone last summer:( I too had a "Cager" in my lane round a blind corner. I think it is only instinctive of us all to save the ONE WE LOVE;) My bike was totaled,(Man I LOVED that BIKE, '91 F2 in immaculate condition pushing 40K on it) the "Cager" popped my left side (HIT & RUN) and ran me off into, fortunately, on to a large dirt pull-off area. Thought I could "SAVE" it and grabbed the brakes, primarily the front, and, well, end over end over end.... Came out of it with three broken ribs, dislocated shoulder, torn rotator cuff. First time down in Eighteen years. That's more than enough for me for at least the next eighteen. No need to mention how [email protected] @amn Dangerous those "Cagers" can be! Fortunately I had FULL insurance, GOOD INSURANCE, on it and was compensated quite nicely for the "Pain and Suffering" crap!:D I do pray you are as fortunate as I. Well... You take GREAT Care of yourself and best wishes on the repairs of yourself, as well as your "Baby"!;) You might want to check out parts411.com Excellent prices and GREAT SELECTIONS. Best Ive found on the web so far and they have always treated me Fantastic! And you're difintely NO SQUID, especially when a cager is the cause of such misfortune!!! :cool: Keep the faith and God Bless....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yep, the old collarbone hurts. :crying: It's actually one of the most common motorcycle related injuries.

Anyway...get better soon and get back on the road.
Squid!:D :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just wanted to say thanks for all the wishes. Sure is nice to read 'em. Have been online a bit shoppin'... makin a parts list and stuff.

Daaaaang the forks are gonna kill my pocketbook!! I only see two colors listed for body parts, green and Red Mica. What the heck is a Red Mica?? Is that the dark purple?? Cause that's what my bike is..... :confused:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry to hear of your mishap

I rememeber in the course they told us beware of cagers. I think they should have a course too. But Glad you are alright. Get all the calcium you can and allow your self to heal. I know its hard shes sitting right there waiting for you but she'll be easier if you are completely healed

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hope you heal very very fast. Collar bone seems like it would be very painfull. I broke my Ankle a few years back, and that was painful, but nothing a few pills wont help!;) Were you wearing gear at the time? Oh, and do you have full coverage??

·
Registered
13 Posts
get well soon

I don't have much to say about parts, cagers, or anything else..just thought i'd give ya a "get well soon"..glad to hear you're alright..bikes can be fixed, your body is the important thing to worry about..listen to your doctor and these other friends here at SBW, cuz if that bone doesn't heal right it will be a discomfort later on..i broke mine playing football in highschool...i still cant move and rotate right...well best of luck finding some parts...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Have a few pics of my poor bike now...

Thanks for all the help. Am looking for maybe a few carbon pieces since I have to replace them anyway.... might as well.

Anyone change out forks before? Was just wondering.... use to build engines... figure if I can do that.....

Did you know that you have 30 days grace on insurance.... I did... so I was shoppin around.... and WHAM. Well guess what... if you don't have a BIKE insured already with someone (nevermind I have house, vehicles, etc with them), but they said since I had not had a bike with them before... it didn't apply. But the new Expedition I bought... oh that was covered for 30 days without me having to do a thing. Jeesh!!

Looks like I may be footing the bill and doing the work myself I guess.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Man, looks bad... again, glad you're okay. By the way, did you ever find out who ran you off the road? Is it a road you normally take? Maybe that person drives that road pretty often as well. Dunno what you can do legally if you find out who it was though. I wonder if there are some witnesses that could help out.

Hope the healing process for you and your bike goes well.

Omega

1 - 20 of 26 Posts