Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first drop last night. I knew I was gonna drop my bike sooner/later so I'm not suprised....it just sucks how the shit went down. (Here goes) I was pulling up to the entrance of my neighborhood round midnight to get something to eat. The entrance of my neighborhood comes to a "T-intersection" on to a main street. So I coming to the stop light, normal routine (clutch, downshift, brake). After this I'm slowing down and ready to put my left foot on to the pavement (sometimes both feet, but this time only the left). But something was pulling on my jeans, so I'm thinking maybe somehow the chain caught my jeans. I look down but its too dark to see so I try to set my right foot down, but the same thing. Now my only options are to either go through the red light and hit the cars that are going through the intersection or drop the bike at zero miles per hour. I obviously went with my second option. Only thing is was worried about was the bike crushing my leg, but as I tipping over my right leg was released. So I tried to catch myself and break the bikes fall while still holding on to the handle bars (Cause of this & framesliders it escaped with minor damage). I pick up the bike and drop the kickstand to examine the bike for damages. Just a few scratches on the tail and the brake lever was pushed down. Nothing serious or anything to get upset about. Then at a closer look of the bike I see what was tugging on my jeans. The damn heel guards were bent out from me trying to get free. Luckily nobody really saw me down the bike, so that saved me a lot of embarrassment, but I know I'll get it from yall. Now please tell me that I'm not the only one who has had both pants legs caught on the heel guards at the same time.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi tru7627-

Tough break and statistically unlikely event! Sorry you went down. Make the repairs and get right back on the horse! :)

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Very unlikely for the rest of us. Jeans sort of sloopy fit or flared at the bottom or baggy jeans? Well next thing do not get your boot/shoe laces cought on the gearchange lever or someother place.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I dropped my bike in front of my friends house. I had pulledup on the side of the road, which was slanted and unlevel. Put the kickstand down, dismounted, and watched my bike roll over. The kick stand was not down all the way, so it just rolled over. Scratched the side fairing, but that was all. Getting it back up I didn't press the brake so the bike kept rolling away from me when I was tryign to up it. And my katana is one beast of a bike, the title says 460 pounds. All this my friends dad was out in his garden, im sure thinking, who is this jackass...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smitty-
Your right Smitty, my pants are usually a lil baggy (no belt=pants falling off my ass) and I have already done the "laces on the shifter" thing. :D I can't switch to nut huggers or burt reynold's jeans so I guess i'm gonna have to tuck the inside of my pants in my shoe/boot and be more careful.

slick1537-
That sounds like some embarrassing shit LoL. :twofinger I would of jumped back on & hauled ass back to the house. Then hung my head in shame.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Almost the exact thing happened to me, only on my friends bike (twice as bad) The forword controls on a cruiser are at a funny angle, and I couldnt get either of my feet out in time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Vash I feel ya. I would feel worse dropping a friend's bike other than my own, just cause the whole guilt thing. When you drop your own bike ,most of the time you can only be mad at nobody but yourself. Which causes you to feel like an ass for any stupidity that may have led to the drop.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You can rest easy Tru...I am the king of droping. I've only had my bike since Aug. this year( 3 months) and I have managed to drop it SIX times at 0 miles per hour. That doesn't include 3 REALLY close saves...Most of the causes were because of killing it in first and losing balance( which i no longer do) and the two other times were because of the road conditions, i.e. sand and dirt. So far all damage has been almost nothing, minus an 1inch long cat scratch from the bike scraping a rock after i downed it. All the other times i have managed to gently guide it to the ground after that loss of balance occurs. I haven't actually crashed while driving yet which is a relief (still waiting for that day...got the gear to show it...).

We all fall sooner or later, whether it be at breakneck speeds in the winding hills, or backing out of your garage for a peaceful sightseeing ride. Some can be prevented (mine, yours!) but others are up to fate. Lets all just hope that when our time comes, NO ONE IS AROUND TO LAUGH AT YOU...:twofinger lol...

Glad to see you came out on top...sort of.

·
Registered
746 Posts
When I first got my yzf600r I was chainging the oil at a hobby shop on base. Well they didn't have the right kind of jack so I tried to make one work. Had it up in the air balancing and it very slowly started to lean, I jumped up to grab it but it was far enough that I couldn't hold it, I tried like hell though and went down myself refusing to let go. The fall cracked the fairing, but no other damage. Damn I was pissed. Other than that I did have one close call while I was on the bike but managed to save it.

Six times matrix?!?! LMAO...:twofinger

-M-

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
tru7627 said:
Hey Vash I feel ya. I would feel worse dropping a friend's bike other than my own, just cause the whole guilt thing. When you drop your own bike ,most of the time you can only be mad at nobody but yourself. Which causes you to feel like an ass for any stupidity that may have led to the drop.
Its that and the financial aspect. Suppose the bike falls over and puts a small scratch in the headlight lense. Like a tiny, little scratch. If its my bike, I can say "Oh, well you cant even see it". But if its someone else, he can say "Well looks like you owe me a new headlight" and he'd be in his rightl.. and I'm out a whole lot of money.

Luckily all my friend cared about was my leg.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I bet all of your friends care about your "leg" dont they Vash. :D :twofinger

But dont worry it happens to all of us at sometime. My dad has never wrecked a bike but he dropped his last bike 3 times and one of those times was when it was on the stand! I've never seen a 51 yr-old-man move that fast. :D

K-lee

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
If you do wear a sort of baggie pair of jeans then go to the local bicycle shop & buy a set of lower leg trouser clips so the jeans will not be flopping around. For an almost nothing price this damage, let alone embarassment, will not happen again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
matrixman-
Damn man, sounds like you having some bad luck. But atleast you haven't wrecked, which is always a good thing. Hmm...maybe it could be looked at as good luck? But yeah, I agree with you & hopefully we got our drops out the way, or maybe you still got a few to go? :twofinger

mstrand_68-
I was just like you, I was refusing to let go thinking I could superman strength the bike upright. I was like the captain of my vessel & was ready to go with. (Just didn't want the bitch crushing my leg though...you get the point)

Yeah vash your right, I completely forgot about the financial aspect of dropping a friends bike. Glad to hear your friend was cool about it. Some ppl can be dicks when it comes to money, and friends can turn to foes when moneys involved. How can it be the root of evil, when it looks so damn good in my wallet?

·
Registered
310 Posts
I stopped at a red light on my Sportster (10 years ago) and put my left foot down in a puddle transmission fluid. My foot slid out from under me and I had a 0 mph lean over. I caught most of the weight but the left foot peg and hand grip got scrapped up a bit. The bad thing was a car full of teenagers behind me laughing their asses off. F-- em. :twofinger

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I know I am comming in on this one a bit late. I had the exact same experience... but instead of tipping the bike, I elected to absolutly destroy my jeans. I rode the remaining 1/2 mile home with a huge tear from my crotch to my foot. Turned out, my peg feeler had snagged my pant legs.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't worry.. everyone has dropped it at zero speed at least once. I've never heard of pants getting caught on the heel guards though.. but I always wear my Astar racing boots so they prevent anything from getting snagged.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
They are a spring like clip like a horseshow. What did you use a a young 'un when riding a bicycle so you would NOT get the bottom of your trouser leg cought by the chain & the sprocket? Problem with rubber bands is they have to go over the boot/shoe as well plus they can be to tight The other simply go from front to back. I have them for my bicycle for I have riding bicycles since back in 1934 & have one in my garage with many speeds on it with a springer front end.

·
Registered
43 Posts
First time i droped my bike was quite embarasing. I had only had it a day, and I have a pretty big driveway. Well i was doing really slow tight circles and the bike stalled and and started to fall on the left side. I tried to stop it from falling all the way but the way my body was positioned wasnt going to let that happen. So I did all that I could to lay it down really slow. Got away with a couple of barley noticable scratches on the crank cover.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts