·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's 3 in the last month. Damn. Here is the info

Dragon claims victim
2005-08-14
by Anna C. Irwin of The Daily Times Staff

An Illinois man was killed Saturday morning when his motorcycle wrecked on U.S. 129 less than a mile from the North Carolina line.

Jeremy M. Stuck, 31, of Dixon, Ill., died when his 2005 Kawasaki ZX-10R motorcycle slid on a curve half a mile from the state line and Stuck lost control. The motorcycle went into the oncoming lane and hit the front of a 2000 Toyota Tundra, then off into a ditch.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Ron McDonald said the motorcycle was traveling toward the state line at 10 a.m. Saturday and the truck driven by Todd E. McKeehan of Robbinsville, N.C. was traveling into Blount County. McDonald said McKeehan, who pastors a church in Robbinsville, had his wife Melissa and 3-year-old daughter Abbey in the truck with him but no one in the vehicle was injured.

The trooper said Stuck apparently died on impact with the front of the truck. He said the Graham County, N.C., Ambulance Service, Rural/Metro Ambulance Service, and a Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officer responded to the accident scene. Stuck's body was taken to Blount Memorial Hospital by Rural/Metro Ambulance Service.

The death is the 13th traffic fatality of the year in Blount County. The seven traffic fatalities since June 30 have all been individuals riding motorcycles.

Stuck's death is the third during that period on an 11-mile section of U.S. 129 known as the Dragon. The winding roadway features more than 300 curves and attracts motorcyclists from across the country. Two motorcyclists, one from Florida and the other from Maryland, were killed in accidents July 21 and July 22 on the Dragon.

·
Registered
860 Posts
So it says he slid. Has any one else heard the rumors that the locals are tossing oil on the corners?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
R.I.P

I head of some kids tossing oil. I was under the impression that it was a one time thing. But maybe not.
I wish they would make the road one way. A better idea would be for someone to buy it, and make it into a track.
Oh, for those who read the cutting the car in half thread, notice that no one in the other vehicle was hurt.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Vash said:
R.I.P

I head of some kids tossing oil. I was under the impression that it was a one time thing. But maybe not.
I wish they would make the road one way. A better idea would be for someone to buy it, and make it into a track.
Oh, for those who read the cutting the car in half thread, notice that no one in the other vehicle was hurt.
The difference being that in the other thread the bike t-bones the car at an extremely high rate of speed, not smashes into the front of it. It's a lot easier to go through a door than it is an engine.

Sorry to hear about yet another downed rider. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm probably heading there tomorrow.

Last week, I was down there and through one of the switchbacks there was a chalk outline of a body. Kinda creeped me out mid-turn. Maybe it was just some kind of joke.

·
Registered
271 Posts
mac020 said:
Gonna be off limits someday if this keeps up.
:confused: :confused:

How do you figure? It's not like they are going to close the road because someone dies on it, even several someones. If that were the case, they'd all be closed. It might draw more scrutiny from LEO for a while, but that's about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
hapmstr said:
:confused: :confused:

How do you figure? It's not like they are going to close the road because someone dies on it, even several someones. If that were the case, they'd all be closed. It might draw more scrutiny from LEO for a while, but that's about it.
If they can take your land, they can close a highway. Or, like you said, they'll just start patroling it more thoroughly. The local cops could probably reduce patrolling other roads in lue of this one and generate more ticket revenue than before.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
The issue I'm referring to is that their wanting to take away the tail of the Dragon.

Someone a few posts back didn't think it would be possible to loose such a road.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I've read quite a few threads regarding the increasing police presence on that strip of road, so I think it'll be dead as a fun place to ride before politicians get to it anyway.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Just this morning in the paper here in NY I saw an article about a father who was killed when he hit a vehicle with his brand new harley who failed to yeild the right of way on a left hand turn. About a month ago I witnessed a motorcycle accident where a truck failed to yield during a left hand turn. Be careful out there everyone.

·
Registered
271 Posts
dago said:
Someone a few posts back didn't think it would be possible to loose such a road.
Two different issues. I was commenting on them just closing the road because it was having too many accidents. That would be a very unlikely scenario. Re-engineering the road so that it no longer exists in its present form is a completely different story.

Such projects don't happen over night though. If it happens, it could be a decade or more. While I've yet to visit the Dragon myself, it would be sad to see it go. I suppose I shouldn't keep putting off a trip down, especially since it's only about 5 hours away. Guess I may not have all the time in the world after all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When Riding the dragon you must stay in your lane. If you go into the other lane you're playing Russian Roulette. If you can't stay in your lane SLOW DOWN you are riding beyond your limit. Some people will treat the dragon like it's a race track but you must remember that it is a public road. Be safe out there......Later

1 - 18 of 18 Posts