Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Of course you need to wear a helmet. I've seen a guy wind up with a hairline skull fracture falling off a motorcycle that didn't even have the engine running. :eek:

(On the other hand, helmet laws bug me in the same way that a law against running with scissors or going out on a cold day without a sweater would. Maybe we could pass one big law that says it's illegal to do anything dumb and/or dangerous... or maybe that wouldn't be such a hot idea after all... ;) )

·
Registered
463 Posts
I believe I have read that falls in the home cause more deaths and injury than anything else. Therefore, helmets should be mandatory in the home as well.

Think of the children.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tamara said:
Of course you need to wear a helmet. I've seen a guy wind up with a hairline skull fracture falling off a motorcycle that didn't even have the engine running. :eek:

(On the other hand, helmet laws bug me in the same way that a law against running with scissors or going out on a cold day without a sweater would. Maybe we could pass one big law that says it's illegal to do anything dumb and/or dangerous... or maybe that wouldn't be such a hot idea after all... ;) )
That would piss me off if I got arrested for wearing a T-shirt in October. What if it was warm when I left the house and cooled off later that day? Those COLD steel handcuffs would feel terrible on my already cold arms:eek:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tell it to the judge.

One small technical point...

The title of this thread asks what I think about wearing helmets. The subject, however, is a government requirement to wear a helmet. Once it is required by law, it doesn't MATTER what I think anymore.

Just thought I'd share that. :)

·
Registered
426 Posts
Approximately 43 percent of all fatal motorcycle crashes involve alcohol.7 A motorcycle requires more skill and coordination to operate than a car. Riding a motorcycle while under the influence of any alcohol significantly decreases an operator’s ability to operate it safely.

DAMN HARLEY RIDERS! :twofinger :D ;) :rolleyes: :p :twofinger

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It just really bugs me i guess. I dont even have my bike yet, and i get a bad name because of stupid hog ridders and squids that dont wear helmets. Ill never ride with out it, my life is worth more then my hair flowing in the wind.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ok, so here's something.

33% of fatalities are of unlicensed / improperly licensed riders.
43% of crashes involve alcohol, and I'm assuming that they mean alcohol in the system of the rider, not the car or tree or guardrail that came into contact with the rider and his bike.

It then says that the injury rate per mile travelled is 4 times that of a car, and the fatality rate 16 times that of a car.

I would be interested to see what the data looks like when you only look at "real" riders - those who ride with proper equipment from head to toe incl a helmet, who have proper training and/or licenses (ie at least a MSF), and who aren't drunk.

The idea that a motorcyclist is a motorcyclist, from a fatality standpoint, is a gross oversimplification, I think - I'd like to know how dangerous it really is, statistically speaking, for those of us who fall into the "real rider" category as outlined above.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nyquist_Theorem said:
I would be interested to see what the data looks like when you only look at "real" riders - those who ride with proper equipment from head to toe incl a helmet, who have proper training and/or licenses (ie at least a MSF), and who aren't drunk.

The idea that a motorcyclist is a motorcyclist, from a fatality standpoint, is a gross oversimplification, I think - I'd like to know how dangerous it really is, statistically speaking, for those of us who fall into the "real rider" category as outlined above.
As it happens, NHTSA has a very nifty query facility, which can answer questions like that.

In 2000 (01 data is not yet compiled), 2622 riders died in motorcycle crashes (doesn't include passengers, peds, or occupants of other vehicles). Of those, 693 or 26% were sober, licensed, and helmeted.

[Because not all were tested for alcohol, I've extrapolated from those who were to the rest.]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, to all you other old f*rts out there, anyone else remember the old Bell helmet ad?
"if you have a $10 head, wear a $10 helmet"

or

"Does anyone else remember when sex was safe and motorcycling was dangerous?"

Ride Safe,
Myles

·
Registered
56 Posts
THAT VULTURE WAS FOLLOWING ME ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was out riding a very twisty road out on the desert when I saw this huge bird slowly getting lower and closer to me. When I passed beneath it I saw the big black wings and ugly red head. IT WAS HIM!!!!!!

You won't have me for supper, birdie:twofinger :D :twofinger

·
Registered
55 Posts
personally i perfer to wear a helmet by choice:) . don't like the bugs and rocks hitting the face:eek: . outside of that, i believe to each his/her own. it's like smoking, you know it's bad for you but people still do it:hurl: . my thing is don't be like one of those smoker's who say's screw the studies on cancer. smoke all their life, get throat cancer and then want to sue:finger: . same thing with helmets or leathers make the choice that fits you and live with it:D . don't wuss out when you have to go through the pain of your choice:crying: , and start blaming everyone else:finger: . just my 2 pennies:twofinger .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts