Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Squid
2019 Ducati Monster 1200s
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever painted their own plastics and tank? I think I'm going to give it a try since I have a snapon gavity feed gun at work. Never painted anything seriously but I figured if I have all the right tools and some common sence it sould turn out nice. I hope. I think all I have to do is give the paint shop the color code and tell them to mix flex agent in the base paint and clear coat :confused:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just painted my FZR. If you add the flex agent you should be fine. Just make sure to prep the surface well (wet sanded and all). Oh, I'm sure you know, but it takes paint a while to set. So for a few weeks at least be real easy on the paint. No wax,etc... Hope this helps. By the way, what color are you going with?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
painting

I painted my F2 about 3 years ago. I will post a pic sometime and let you know when I do.
Tips:
Prep the area to be painted. Well. Very important.
Thin coats and allow for plenty of time to dry between layers. Stronger paint and less chance of runs.
After each layer, a little wet sand to scuff the paint with superfine grit sandpaper.
If you are doing several colors, make sure to tape carefully and smooth at the edges of the painted areas to prevent uneven edges.
Clear coats add depth to paint and can keep a wet look. Many layers are good!
It was a pain and took a while but everyone who say it couldn't believe how good it looked. If you want, email me [email protected] and I will lite a fire under myself to get some pictures. The bike is wrecked but I still have it in the basement. I can also give a more detailed version of how I did it.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
if you have some scrap plastics or tank, try it on them first.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I did the frame and bodywork on my wife's YZF600. It takes alot of patience(sp). Do some more reading. It is not as easy as you think but can be done if you take your time and prep it properly. The idea of practicing is a damn good one. I didn't and it showed to a trained eye.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
runs, f*ckin' runs

RCjohn said:
I did the frame and bodywork on my wife's YZF600. It takes alot of patience(sp). Do some more reading. It is not as easy as you think but can be done if you take your time and prep it properly. The idea of practicing is a damn good one. I didn't and it showed to a trained eye.
i didn't think it practice on my 400 and that means this winter will require a lot of paint work. as for the trained eye, well, you're better than i, because everyone can see i suck.

·
Registered
873 Posts
One of the biggest mistakes to make is not being patient. I have painted 2 helmets. One in 1993 and the other about 6 months ago. I learned the hard nasty lessons in 1993 and i learned the fine artisan lessons this year.

Regardless i still almost effed up the whole job this year because i started to get anxious and impatient. DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!! There is no excuse for trying to "hurry" the whole process. you MUST give the paint time to do its thing. This involves sittiong around with nothing to do. I hate to "waste time" so this is the most difficult thing for me.

I finally realized that ya just gotta apply the color, and if your doing a graphic or different colors, youre pretty much in for a nice wait. Leave the whole project alone for at least a day or 2. Dont even look at it. Masking on "unready" painted surfaces is a no no. Itll ruin everything youve worked on.

My 2nd helmet came out VERY VERY cool. No one believes i did it all with rattle cans. Careful finishing and good prep are the key. Many clearcoats are the best insurance for long life and lots of dropping jaws.

·
Squid
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I going to paint if Saffran Pearl. It has a burnt orange look to it. I like it a lot and didn't want to rebuild it back to the same 'ol blue R1. I planed on doing about two, maybe three layers then one layer on clear. After that put my graphics on from tapeworks before I put a few more layers of clear coat to seal them in. Should I just do one layer a day to get it right, 'cause I'm in no hury? Just anxious to ride :D BTW what grit of wetdry whould I use? I was thinking like around 1500 or 2000. Is that to fine?
I have one old lower fairing I'm going to practice on first cause I want it to turn out perfect without waves and runs like the crap I've seen around here that people are actually paying for.

·
Registered
873 Posts

·
Squid
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That looks pretty good. I thought I read somewhere about painting a helemt can weaken it's impact capabilities, is this true? If not I just might buy a white Arai and paint to match.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I waited about 1.5 or 2 days depending on how hot it was (I didn't have a heater to bake the paint). That is very true about making sure the last layer was dry before putting tape on. Good idea about a clear, effects and then more on top. I used 4 total I think.
Obviously, clean dry area. The 1500 should be good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts