Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may already know, I'm getting a house (Yey for me). Anywho, with a house comes a dog right? Well I think so anyway.

The thing is, I hate dogs that are overly friendly. They are predators damn it, not couch pets. I'm not looking for a mean pit bull that will eat the neighbours kids, but I'm also not looking for the sort of dog that runs up to strangers to get petted. I like the "What are you doing in my house? You can stay, but god help you if you make the wrong move toward my human" sort of attitude.
In addition it would be really cool, if it was a BIG dog. Not like lab big, but like saint bernard big.

Problems.
1. The house does not have a very big back yard. It isnt pittifully small, but its no ranch.
2. It get hot here. Real hot. So long haired dogs are going to be misserable.

Oh, I'm not against an indoor dog.. Just keep of the damn couches.

Anywho is there a bread thats pretty damn big, preferably short haired, and is pretty relaxed, as in doesnt need to run around all over the place?
So far I had a few suggestions
1. German shephard. Those dogs rock. My rents had two, and I loved them. Loyal, to the point, no BS dogs. They can get pretty big too. But there is no way to tell if the puppy I get is going to be huge or not. They are pretty relaxed, and dont seem to mind living indoors, so long as they get regular exercise.. which it will. But its not going to be happy come summer time.. time to get some clippers.
2. Great Dane. Now there is a dog. Never been around too many of them, but they look awsome. I'm told they dont require too much space, so long as they get regular exercise.. Dont know about that.. thats why I'm asking.
3. Labs. Once again, labradors are awsome. Smart, buitifull dogs. Some of them get big, but not all the time.
4. Rhotwhiler (sp?) Also big, scary looking, but very loving and loyal dogs..

So any info, suggestions, things to watch out for? Help me out guys, I know there are a few dog lovers among ya.

·
Registered
434 Posts
No, seriously, boxers are fairly big dogs, are fairly protective, a friend has two of them, i think they are cool dogs!

·
Registered
158 Posts
So, what's wrong with the little dog that has the bow on...I think it's a perfect addition to a new house :D

Maybe you two could get matching sweaters to wear in the winter too...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Doberman Pinscher. Very loving to family, smart and trainable, doesn't shed like a German shepard, no tail to knock your drink off the coffee table. The ultimate home security device and personal companion. Our Doberman was actually my wifes when we met. Now I love her more than the wife! Well, maybe. Along with aggressive breeds comes responsibilty but I can assure you Zada wouldn't hurt a soul, (cat, baby, etc.) unless they deserve it. Check out my gallery!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
Vash said:
...But there is no way to tell if the puppy I get is going to be huge or not...
While certain breeds will be naturally big, you can generally tell if a pup is going to be big by the size of its feet. No, seriously. Also, view its parents.

If you want a no-nonsense dog, have it trained. I've heard of places that will train your dog for you, then bring you in to teach you how to handle it. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've had dogs most of my life, but when these (2 Boarder Collies)
are gone, I'm going to go without for awhile. If you like to ride and/or travel they can be a pain when it comes to taking care of them. Don't forget once ya get one you're committed for 10-20 years.

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
mac020 said:
...If you like to ride and/or travel they can be a pain when it comes to taking care of them...
I plan on teaching mine to ride with me. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
cookeetree said:
I plan on teaching mine to ride with me. :thumb:
Hope it's a small dog. Look pretty funny with you, your wife and a 150 pound Rot doing a wheelie on a 400 pound sportbike.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Doberman....that's the ticket...and just go to a damn obedience course...dont waste the money to have somebody else train him/her...and if you want a dog that's not overly aggressive, but will shy away from people and stand by(guard) you...then simply dont socialize him...about the first year or so of life, dont let people (kids, shithead strangers, even most friends) pet him...for that time, he's a WORKING dog...sounds mean...but it's not...cause you'll be GIVING SO MUCH GODAMN GOOD ATTENTION, he will love you and your family till there's no end....

Warning......this social modificationi is pretty much irreversable...i've got a g/f that my dog took right to..but she sometimes wants him to suck up to others and gets frustrated when he barks at (and sometimes growls) at her parents...heee heee....i love it...He'd NEVER bite anyone...if I tell him "watch him".....he will look for the nearest moving "target" and stare him down/growl....oddly enough, he wont do it to the g/f....

hope this helps..btw..mine's a dalmation, same build as a dobe....and just as smart...mom is a hoot, a real suck up...i never socialized oreo though.....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys guys.
Doberman pincher is defenitely on the list. A good buddy of mine has a female, and she is extremly calm, obidient, loving, but I would hate to piss her off. About the only way I ever seen that happen is when she gets woken up by someone suddenly.
Still, I'm abit hung up on the great dane. I understand that their personality is not much different from a doberman, and they are just cool. Anyone know someone who owns one? I'm looking for reasons why it wouldnt work..

Oh, training is an absolute necessity. I dont believe in spoiled dogs. And with one of that size, control is a requirment. Cant have it eating the neighbours kids...

Also male or female? What do you guys know about.. umm.. equipment removal? some people say it just calms them down, others think it turns them into vegetables...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Great Danes are cool. Abit slobbery. Nobody f's with them. One of my buddies has 2 of them. They llive about 10-14 years. Get them fixed. snip snip!

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
mac020 said:
Hope it's a small dog. Look pretty funny with you, your wife and a 150 pound Rot doing a wheelie on a 400 pound sportbike.
:laughing: Wife-to-be rides her own bike, so no issue there.

As for size, we're thinking of getting a Dalmation. I figure that it will have to ride on the back so, if I have to, I'll make up some sort of removable platform for it. Farmers over here do a similar thing for their working dogs.

A biker went past me, about a month ago, with his dog on the back. It must have thought the whole thing was a bit blase, as it was lying across the pillion seat!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love my dals.....and very good dogs....nice if you train them to be (socialize) not so if you dont....but i've not ever seen one blatantly aggressive unless provoked....

equipment removal...I love it..lol:D I personally think it makes males pussies and females fat......that'd be in dogs and people....lol

·
Registered
7,447 Posts
akcbr said:
I love my dals.....and very good dogs....nice if you train them to be (socialize) not so if you dont....but i've not ever seen one blatantly aggressive unless provoked....
I read on a breeder's website that they need to be trained differently to other breeds. Is that true? If so, what's the difference?

·
Registered
312 Posts
My wife wants a Great Dane someday really bad but I don't think I could ever let her. The slobbering is just too much, they aren't very active like many other breeds, I can't imagine a 130lb slobbering dog in my car or trying to bathe it. I know they're cool, just not for me. If I had to get a dog right now and a Doberman wasn't an option, I think I would choose a German Shep. although it would have to stay outside because of the shedding.

It's really nice going to bed at night knowing this is in the room with me!

Such a sweetheart. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
cookeetree said:
I read on a breeder's website that they need to be trained differently to other breeds. Is that true? If so, what's the difference?
Hey cookie...btw, love your posts, funny as hell for the most part, lol. I'd say no, but do need to be exercised fairly regularly, they have been bred to run beside coaches and old-school firetrucks. I live in Alaska, so lots of "free range running" around here, and they will stay right beside my 4 wheeler at about 20mph for half the damn day...amazing...and they just freakin love the exersise. One thing that's really dal-specific, is the dalmatian smile..I thought my first pup was growling and trying to bite, then started to think they were guilty of destroying something while I was out. It really does look like a snarl, but is just them expressing they missed you, or are particularly happy....amazing really...i'd say their genetic twins are dobe's....and would only ever consider having one of them instead (sides my malumute/husky breed for sleds)

·
Registered
158 Posts
You may want to check in to the bull breeds if you don't mind some drool (Olde English bulldogs, American Bulldogs, Mastiff's). They're pretty much known for the qualities you're after.

My OEB doesn't die in the heat, weighs about 65 lbs, loves to go out and run, but loves to chill inside and watch tv too, loves kids. FYI They are REALLY strong. My 220 lb b/f has some trouble stopping her if she really wants something (typically one of the other dogs in the house, they're still out for the alpha role).

As for the great danes, I know someone with one and the only problem he's got with him is some animal aggression. Other then that, people are just generally afraid of him due to his size.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I say you get a monkey and teach him to hold a knife. Really, who is gonna fu*k with this thing?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 154 Posts