Sportbike World banner

Does the novelty of owning / riding a bike ever wear off?

• Yes it wears off.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • No it always kicks ass.

Votes: 115 83.3%
  • There never was any novelty for me.

Votes: 15 10.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the thinking about this today on my way home from the DMV (got my permit, felt like a little kid on Christmas:p )...

Does the novelty of owning / riding a bike ever wear off? I mean for me right now not owning a bike yet, its all I think about. But I was wondering if it goes from "WOO HOO I have a bike" to "..oh that thing, yea thats mine".

I can't answer this yet, but im hoping the majority of the answers are no.

Kyle

·
Registered
482 Posts
Wanna witness the most stupidest grin ever? Come see me everytime I get ready to go ride.:D :D :D :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Wanna witness the most stupidest grin ever
Slowrat always has a stupid grin....don't let him fool ya!

BTW...10 years...and I still look out in the garage and smile!!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've owned a motorcycle since I was 16 years old...a LONG time ago...and even had a "job" where my "work" for 7 years was riding a motorcycle regardless of weather (motorcycle police officer).

I still ride almost every day when I am home...when I have been traveling, I rush home, hug the kids, kiss the dog, say something to the wife, and hit the road...

My name is Mike and I am an addict...please don't save me from myself....I love it too much...

...still.

·
Registered
489 Posts
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Just got back from a 100 mile run at an average speed of 40mph Yeh thats right 40 mph. i went along to do the last bit of this charity run . Check out the website
http://www.scotland-index.co.uk/Hector/index.htm

He has raised over £3000 pounds for the 2 charities involved with the care of his wife.

I never need an excuse to go for a run on my bike :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not only does it not go away, it tends to infect others around you. They see all the fun you are having, they hear you talking about it constantly, and figure that it is something they have to find out about. The next thing you know, they're hooked as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ZZ-R1200 said:
I rush home, hug the kids, kiss the dog, say something to the wife, and hit the road

does anyone else see something wrong with that picture kiss the Dog?:eek: ... only say something to the wife?????

·
Registered
591 Posts
Kyle said:
Does the novelty of owning / riding a bike ever wear off?
Well it appears I'm going to go against the crowd here, and say yeah, the 'novelty' of owning one may wear off, but it'll take a lot longer for riding one to get old. To me, a bike is simply a tool (not a novelty); nothing more, nothing less. IMO, it's not about the bike, it's about the adventure motorcycling provides, be it 'round the racetrack, exploring backroads, or taking extended trips (I likes Nova Scotia/Montreal).

If/once the novelty wears off, you may either get out of it all together, or may just find yourself exploring the next level. There's a lot of world to see/explore out there...

·
Registered
591 Posts
desmo079 said:
So THAT'S why I've been through 3 wives.:D :D :D
Nah...you've been through 3 because YOU KEEP GETTING MARRIED!
You know...the classic "Doc, it hurts when I do this!"
"Well damnit, man...STOP DOING THAT! :eek:

All seriousness aside...they tell me #4 is the charm! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've only been riding for 2 1/2 years, but every time I'm out it's something new and I just love that. It's always exciting (well, except for sitting in traffic at idle watching the temp gauge climb past 200). :twofinger

·
Registered
860 Posts
i can say i love my motorcycle and riding but there all always those days when you get off and just had a shitty ride. on the other hand when everything goes right. turns are tight speed is good and you just feel so damn happy to ride thats when it hits ya that i love motorcyles and i love my bike. i bought mine well...i have no clue why i just did and havent regreted it since. and always remember the most important thing the main reason we bought bikes is ......well...i dunno...but chicks dig em!!!!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
492 Posts
always love it

Not only does it not go away, it tends to infect others around you. They see all the fun you are having, they hear you talking about it constantly, and figure that it is something they have to find out about. The next thing you know, they're hooked as well.
This is soooo true! Seven months ago when I got orders to this hellhole base only 1 other guy in my flight rode. Nowadays a couple others have got bikes and a pile more are wanting them. Too bad they can't come up with the money, but we're just poor military folk.

·
Registered
64 Posts
does it wear off

To me NEVER YET. I also agree that it is something that rubs off on those around you. I picked up my new bike last week, and as usual, someone around me is standing around waiting for me to get my new bike, so they can buy my old bike( maybe I just sell them too cheap). But in all the years I have been riding I still wake up a little early on the mornings of a big ride, still go out to the garage for no apparent reason, still go into the room with my gear in it just to look around, etc. etc. I AM A SICK MAN BUT PLEASE DO NOT HELP ME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ENJOY Joe

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Re: Re: Does the novelty of it all ever wear off?

basicblur said:

Well it appears I'm going to go against the crowd here

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Not you???????????

Actually I almost went with that answer until reading his first post of the thread and realised he meant more than 'novelty' in it's basic definition.

Riding is always and always will be what keeps me getting up in the morning at those times when everything else makes you want to roll over and die. I've ridden 10 years and still spend most of my free time reading mags, this board, working on it or riding it. Vacations are planned for where I can ride next (deals), or where I can rent a bike (europe, new zealand, aus.). Future jobs/places to live are rated on the availability of good twisties and racing/track day availability.

When's your new bike due Kyle??

1 - 20 of 84 Posts