Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if everyone here wears protective gear at all times.I do most of the time but on real hot days it is very hard to keep from overheating.I'm looking for so hints or advice about what to wear in the summer to protect but to also be somewhat cool.I always wear pants and helmet but sometimes I only wear a t-shirt and after seeing my friend go down on pavement I want to get some gear that I can wear in the summer time.

------------------
Chris Blackman
If it is GREEN it has to be better!
www.memphissportbikes.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a textile honda jaket with fome armer in the sholders back and elbos. I just had an acsident and my jaket held up. I was suprised. I dont like to ride with out a jaket but in the summer its hard sometimes. Afer my get off i am now bying a 2 pece leather sute. I probly wont ware the pants to go to work but i will ware the jaket all the time now.

------------------
oldenof to know better still too young to care

·
Registered
94 Posts
qb-i wear all of my gear 99.9% of the time. granted, it gets pretty warm here in ohio, but i also feel kinda nekked when not wearing a jacket. and here's something-it's better to wear a jacket than short sleeved shirts to keep from dehydrating. if you wear a short sleeved shirt, the water and sweat from your body evaporates into the air. it feels good at the moment, but in the long run, it doesn't help ya. but, if you wear a jacket, it traps in that moisture and keeps you from dehydrating. however, you do stay a bit warmer if done so.
do you know about the company 'draggin jeans'? well, they make a shirt like that as well. it's long sleeved and has kevlar reinforcement. i wouldn't suggest wearing this and going ballistic on the curves, but it might help!
ride safe. :D

------------------
Amy
"Smiling from gear to gear."

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
On Sundays I wear my full leathers and gear.

I usually only ride on Sunday :p (as I work 50 miles one way, from work) but if I go out during the week I will wear my Tour Masters Jacket and Gloves.

------------------
Dan F4 Red/Black

[This message has been edited by Dan F4 (edited June 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
405 Posts
I wear riding boots,leather pants, jacket, gloves, and helmet all of the time. In the summer it can get pretty bad but I would rather be hot then have road rash.
Somethings that can help are wear a damp t-shirt or a wet bandana around your neck which can help. Also have water with you at all times and pull over often.
It is better to be prepared then be sorry later cause you never know when you will go down.

------------------
Dave
Too many curves...so little time

·
Registered
32 Posts
I seen riders go down. not a good thing to see is it.I'am down south NC and it get dam hot here. My leather are agv the suite is perforate with small hole. Get coolshirts
made by Helimot

------------------
Ken

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wear my Tourmaster Cortech jacket, gloves, boots and helmet 100% of the time and I ride to work everyday. So I basically ride my bike 7 days a week. It's very hot here, but sweating is better than road rash. I do only zip the jacket up 1/2 way and wear my Tourmaster summer gloves on weekdays, though. I will also be sporting a camelback for the rest of the summer - on weekends of course. That will help replenish the fluid lost from the 200-mile rides on the weekends.

------------------
Todd Hoffmaster
'00 Katana 600
38 speeding tickets and still counting

P

·
0 Posts
I have heard good things about a warm weather jacket made by RS Taichi in Japan. It's made of some sort of ballistic-weight mesh with good armor. The link is http://www.rs-taichi.co.jp/ but it's a pretty difficult site to navigate. I'm waiting on a evaluation on the jacket from a guy in Japan who just bought one before I order my own.

------------------
Pete
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
110 Posts
I recently bit the bullet and ordered a set of two piece leathers. I got the Vanson PTSV jacket and pants. Both are perforated, so they are somewhat cool as long as you are moving and the sun is not shining right on your back. I also have a Joe Rocket Ballistic Nylon jacket for rainy days and have to say that the vanson is just as comfortable (tempurature wise!!) as the vanson.

------------------
"This space for rent."

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a leather jacket and a Cordura jacket. The one thing that I have noticed is that the Cordura is a HELLUVA lot cooler than the leather. Of course, the leather is solid black and the cordura is not. If I had it to do over, I would buy a light-colored leather jacket. It is hard sometimes to put that jacket on when it's in the high 90s, but we rarely ride without our jackets at this point. Drink lots of fluids.

------------------
Stacia
Co-Admin
'00 Honda CBR600F4
"Objects in mirror no longer matter!"

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I Always wear the gear. I think Im gonna get a two piece cordura set though, they're so comfy!

Who was it that said: "Dress up to go down" ?
That is perfect!

------------------
Kyle J.-
email:[email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
I haven't in the past, just when riding with the group or when blasting. Last October, I had a very bad get off while riding in the Sierra's. Got ran off the road by a logging truck coming at me in my lane on a blind left hand turn. Ended up over a 20 foot enbankment in a creek bed. Lucky for me, I had on a set of AGV road race leathers(Corner brand). Ended up broken up pretty bad, but no(zero) road rash. Since then I have ordered an Aerostich suit to wear when I ride everyday(10 week back order on the suit) and I just recently replaced my AGV suit(they had to cut them off me) with a Vanson suit(love it). Anyone who has in been in a fairly bad wreck will appreciate what the protective gear does for you. I went back and looked at what I went over(6 foot boulders!!!) and thank God I bought that AGV suit 5 years ago. People shy away from high priced equipment, someone recently asked me how much my ARAI cost and they just about freaked that someone would pay that much for a helmet. All I know is once you use it, you will be sold for life.

As far as keeping cool, my boss is one of those BMW guys and they wear Aerostich's all year long. In the summer, they pack all of the pockets with ice and open up the flaps to get a swamp cooler effect. He claims its like having A/C.

------------------

[This message has been edited by 1999gap (edited June 07, 2000).]

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Good Evening Everyone-

Heard some great things about Aerostich from more than one person, but the "ice in the pockets" trick sound pretty cool! The price of admission on those suits is pretty steep, but everyone loves 'em.

Learned about this forum over at thefiringline.com, they had lots of good things to say about everyone over here.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~

------------------

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
On short rides to work and such I would normally wear my leather jacket, gloves, and boots on my Magna. Now I really feel naked :eek: with anything less than full gear. I know this cordura stuff is getting popular...but it really doesn't do it for me

------------------
Clark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts