Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to everybody....

How often do you wash your whole bike w/ water and soap?

After you wash it do you re-oil the chain every time, or is this not necessary as long as you are oiling the chain periodically.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I don't wash my bike with water and soap.

I use Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish. And I lube my chain about every other time I fill up my gas tank.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't wash my bike with water and soap
Any specific reasoning behind that?

I usually clean mine with with a dust remover too, but have found that when a lot of dust, dirt, bugs build up, I'll end up scratching surfaces if I don't soak everything down with water and soap before cleaning the bike. In other words, it seems like I can't get away with dry washing it (which would be easier).

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
If you are using descent chain wax, water and soap wont get rid of it. Still you cant really overlube your chain.
Personally, I have not yet washed my bike...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Not cleaning at all. It might change with a new painjob, maybe...

But its always like "I can spend an hour washing my bike, or riding.. let me think...."

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
What do you do leave it in the rain?
It probly doesnt take me a full hour, bust still trying to get the rims to shine is a serious pain in the ass.

Hey wait, my new bike doesnt have polished rims... Woo hoo, problem solved!

·
Registered
746 Posts
ESanders,
Everybodys different, I took my old yzf600r to the car wash a couple of times and sprayed it off then towel dried it. Some people would pass out if I told them that. I even used to foam brush! Anyway, to answer your question , yes I would lube the chain after every washing. Again opinions vary - every 200 miles - everytime you fill up - every ??? miles - everytime you look at it - just get in the habit of doing it on a regular basis.

-M-

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I take a bucket of water & car cleaner, and wash my bike a section at a time with the wet cloth, and then dry the section with a towel. I never spray water on my bike - I just can't see any good coming out of wetting all my electrical connections, exhaust, etc. on a regular basis. It takes a little more than an hour to do a thourough job, but people consistently mistake my five-year-old bike for a brand new one.........

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
LTNS rundog. Not to tell you how to take care of your bike, but you arent going to hurt the electrical connections by spraying water on them, even if you decide to park the bike in the swimming pool. Sunlight will damage them a great deal more than water.

Oh, if its salt water, thats a different story.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
everytime you look at it
:laughing: :laughing:

Yeah, every tank/every other tank seems a bit excessive. My owner's manual says every 400 mi. for the chain lube.

I thought spraying water on the bike was also a bad idea, but after asking the dealer service center they said it couldn't hurt it in the least, so i felt a little better about taking the hose to my bike.

Rundog - are you talking about auto soap and water in a bucket? if you are, how do you rinse your bike off without getting water all over it??

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vash said:
LTNS rundog. Not to tell you how to take care of your bike, but you arent going to hurt the electrical connections by spraying water on them, even if you decide to park the bike in the swimming pool. Sunlight will damage them a great deal more than water.

Oh, if its salt water, thats a different story.
What's LTNS? Probably won't hurt 'em, Vash, but old habits die hard..electrical connectors haven't always been as good as they are today. No doubt sunlights' about the worst thing you can do to your bike....

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Indeed.. we need some new material... how about the new suzi stratosphere? an 1100cc inline 6... thats worth a few posts...

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Originally posted by ESanders2
I thought spraying water on the bike was also a bad idea, but after asking the dealer service center they said it couldn't hurt it in the least, so i felt a little better about taking the hose to my bike.
The only thing you might want to be careful of is not to spray water into your exhaust or air intake things..

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Unas_the_Slayer said:
The only thing you might want to be careful of is not to spray water into your exhaust or air intake things..
Unless you drown them, there is nothing to fear. The engine can handle abit of water in the intake, it will evaporate before it reaches the cylinders. Any water in the exhaust will evaporate as well.

Now if you drown the bike, you will hydrolock the cylinders and bend your crank...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts