Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Would like to own '03 R6

Votes: 54 22.0%

• Total voters
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I rode my buds R1 for a while, its got a full exhaust, and different sprockets. It seams like an awesome trackbike as its light, very agile, and has a nice powerband. Plus I really liked its looks when it had the stock blue paint.

Down side in my opinion... Going through curves left to right and sometimes raising the front tire a bit, caused tank slap. (perhaps a defect in this bike???) The other problem for me, would be having to drive it anywhere on the street for more than 20-30 minutes. Its stance was far more aggresive than I'm accustomed too.

:2cents: :D

·
Registered
471 Posts
time revive an old thread...

i've seen numerous people on this board (and others) say the R6 is a better track bike, and the R1 is a better street bike. can someone please explain this to me? I hav a 2004 R6 and i can't imagine a better street bike (well, maybe a throttle that wasn't quite as twitchy). how could a bike less nimble (R1) be better on street? i'd figured nimble handling would have the biggest pay off when your trying to deal with crazy cage drivers.

and please, please, please don't tell me the R1 is a better street bikes becuase it's better for wheelies.

thanks in advance!
-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
22 Posts
English mag Performance Bikes compared ZX10, GSXR600, Buell, an older Yamaha 400, and one other bike which I can't remember and found very little difference (1.6 sec if I remember right) between them in the time it took to get from point A to point B in three different corners that they tested. The Buell was actually the fastest with the ZX10 second and the GSXR 600 third. They offered several reasons for this but the bottom line was that the bigger bikes finished the distance quicker. My point is that the feeling that 600s are faster in the curves may not be true. Even my 02 R1 felt better to me in a curve than an 01 CBR F4i that I was trying to decide to keep, although the 600 was lighter. I felt the R1 was very flickable although a little harder to get straight up again after the lean, but the extra power made up for it. If I was going to ride track a lot, I'd get a 600 IF there were no long straights at the track. For the street with long sweeping curves in the country with long straights in-between, I've got to go with a litre bike. Just my .02. I think I'll go check out the lap times at USSuperbike.com and compare supersport with superstock and see if there is much difference.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Laguna Seca AMA (I didn't look at Mid-Ohio because that track sucks): Fastest laps:

Supersport (Tommy Hayden) 1:27:773 (600s)
Superstock (forgot name) 1:28:518 (1000s)

What does it mean? Go out and have fun on whatever you ride.

BTW, if you don't think the R1 is nimble, you need to try it sometime.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a 2001 R6 and just sold it to buy a 2003 R1 I havent ridden the R1 much yet due to weather but I did love my R6...

Hey I was wondering if you guys know of any good websites for motorcycle decal kits. I know of sportbikedecals.com but I was wondering of any others. Thanks Joe

·
Registered
525 Posts
1998 R1

I rode a friends 99 R6 a few years back at the track and was so amazed how it felt in corners that this had to be my next bike. Fast forward to present day Earth. I could not find a deal on any R6's in my area. Everyone wants 5-6000 bux for a 99-01 in great condition usally completely stock, so I found a 1998 R1 in exellent condition at a better price then the used R6's and the R1 came with a lot of mods. It feels great to ride in the city, but the verdict is still out until I get this to the track. The previous owner who put all the mods on gave me the dyno sheets, which states 148HP.:D :D

The bike:
1998 R1
21,000 miles
Factory jet/ BMC filter
Akrapovic full exhaust w/ Titanium canister
ignition advanced
BrakeTec cailper mounts
BrakeTec 320MM front discs
Goodridge SS front brake lines
RaceTech rebuilt forks and shock
Hyperpro steering damper (which leaks, so I took it off)
PIAA lights

what Ive added:
Frame sliders
Scorpio SR500 alarm with pager
Oxford 4' chain & lock

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
2004 R1. Had to buy myself a "leaving my job" present.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just picked up my 04 R6 yesturday, I haven't even got to ride it yet because its been raining like crazy here. For now I just enjoy sitting on it in the garage and getting used to it.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts