Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy a Ninja 250r and I have just finished the MSF course so I think i'm all set. But on the other hand, I wanted to ask you guys a pretty simple question. Do you guys besides having a bike, have a car as well to do your shopping and such? And if so, what kind of car is it?

Or if you manage to do it all with your bike, how do you do it? Backpacks and such?

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I have always had a car in addition to my bike, but I started really late in life. Back in the day I could've gotten away without a bike b/c the University had free student busing to the stores. I use a tail bag on my ride to haul clothes or whatnot when needed. But I don't really like riding in the rain and won't pony up the c-notes to pick up gear required for winter riding, so those are out for me.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yes, I've always had a car at the same time. Going bike only is a pain in the azz. Some downsides include, shopping, hauling anything bigger than what will fit in a backpack, only room for yourself and 1 (adventourous) friend, bad weather, going out on a date, etc.

I remember my car broke down for a few months during a winter when I was a poor college student and I couldn't afford to fix it. So I went bike only for a while and it sucked!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I've always had a car and bike except for the time when my car died and all I had was the bike. That was a hellish month being late fall early winter cold in all without winter riding gear.

Right now I have the bike and a truck and won't have it any other way for the same reasons already listed. The big ones being going out and shopping, without getting into touring bike territory a shopping cart full of stuff won't fit all on a bike and how does one dress up for a special occasion/place without sacrificing protection or messing up their clothes riding a bike. Also you'll never be able to get a girl in a dress, made up all nice, with the hair all done to put on a helmet or ride without one.

It's possible to go without a cage but only if your young, dumb, live in a snow free place, and have no dress up clothes. Else wise, doing so is hard to impossible.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I would think in NY a cage would be essential, but I guess you could subway it, be careful no one steals your bike, ride it up the stairs into the building, into the elevator and up to your room

I would hate to be without my tail bag, it hauls lots of stuff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
She had a car wreck when she was 18 and now she doesnt like to go around corners, so she doesnt ride any more. She flipped her car twice tryin to take a 90 degree corner at 70. She braces herself in the truck on a corner even.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thanks guys for all your help. I will be forced to go bike only for a while and wanted to soften the blow to what was is to come.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
if its icy dont ride, other than that you'll be fine, 3 layers the first wicking (to remove the sweat from your skin} the next insulating and then your outer layer. Leather is best but hard to keep waterproof so I use textile if it looks wet. If you have a long commute you may need to plan stops to warm up. Good luck you can do it !

·
Registered
265 Posts
Cold weather is really not that bad as long as its not snowing or icing. I usually wear an under armour cold gear, a shirt, my leather jacket, gauntlet length windproof gloves, windproof pants, and motorcycle boots and I'm all good. If you have the right gear you'll be ok. But, havig a car I think is a necessity cause I wouldnt wanna ride when its storming, its not very safe. On spring or summer time you might be able to pull it off without a car.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Cold weather is really not that bad as long as its not snowing or icing. I usually wear an under armour cold gear, a shirt, my leather jacket, gauntlet length windproof gloves, windproof pants, and motorcycle boots and I'm all good. If you have the right gear you'll be ok. But, havig a car I think is a necessity cause I wouldnt wanna ride when its storming, its not very safe. On spring or summer time you might be able to pull it off without a car.
Of course it isn't but your down there the rest of us are up here. If your that geared up in the winter time down there imagine what we'd have to put on up here. When it's winter, cold, and freezing, riding I don't do.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would think in NY a cage would be essential, but I guess you could subway it, be careful no one steals your bike, ride it up the stairs into the building, into the elevator and up to your room

I would hate to be without my tail bag, it hauls lots of stuff
Don't EVER do that shit in an apartment building, or your own home even (if you want the fire insurance to pay out). The liability put on you is huge if a fire should start at or reach the bike, it's even worse if someone dies from a fire that started at or was fueled from your bike. Yea you don't want your bike stolen but I'm sure you don't want to be doing time for involuntary manslaughter more. In a less worse case scenario way, you can be evicted from your apartment/rental place if the building owners/managers see or hear about your little (more like huge) fire code violation. All in all get a garage, don't bring it in your living area.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Yeah I didnt really expect him to do it.....

But if he did I'd be proud !

·
Registered
16 Posts
it really depends on where you live cause in minnesota i could not live up here without a car i have to store my bike in the winter no way i am riding it when it is below zero and snowing

·
Registered
265 Posts
Of course it isn't but your down there the rest of us are up here. If your that geared up in the winter time down there imagine what we'd have to put on up here. When it's winter, cold, and freezing, riding I don't do.
I guess youre right. Easy for me to say that. But I guess what I was trying to say is that you need a car/truck no matter what.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMXKk6oQlU

1 - 15 of 15 Posts