Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know about the Warranty?

I'm just TOTALLY :rolleyes: excited to take my bike into the dealer for the $200 oil change.

I called them up and asked them if I changed the oil myself, took a pic of the odometer, etc. would that suffice for the warranty, and they said no.

Is there some documentation backing them up on this?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
From what I know its dealer dependant. Some dealers will let you work on it, some wont.
Then again, kawi is going to have a hard time denying you warranty work, should something happen. The dealer might BS you, but you can always take it to another one.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unless your a good customer buying a new bike and a bunch of parts every year or two at my dealership. And if I found you had worked on you bike. I would advise Kawasaki Motor Corp. that you had voided your warrentty. Unless of course you are a factory certified tech or an M.M.I. grad. And why not your taking food from my mounth. I would have no problem sleepping at night.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Look at your paperwork. There is a contract in there that states everything you need to know.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
molebaby said:
Unless your a good customer buying a new bike and a bunch of parts every year or two at my dealership. And if I found you had worked on you bike. I would advise Kawasaki Motor Corp. that you had voided your warrentty. Unless of course you are a factory certified tech or an M.M.I. grad. And why not your taking food from my mounth. I would have no problem sleepping at night.
Then why does the company publish the manual? Not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth here, but the readily available shop manual takes you through things like oil changes and regular maintenance quite easily. Now, if you can prove that it was done incorrectly, by all means, call it a warranty void. But if it was done properly according to the manufacturers accepted manual... well... then I would phone my attorney.

·
Registered
156 Posts
DanQ said:
Then why does the company publish the manual? Not trying to take food out of anyone's mouth here, but the readily available shop manual takes you through things like oil changes and regular maintenance quite easily. Now, if you can prove that it was done incorrectly, by all means, call it a warranty void. But if it was done properly according to the manufacturers accepted manual... well... then I would phone my attorney.
Maybe kawasaki changed there policy when you went thru factory service dept. training . But when I went thru the training at Irvine Cal. they told me unless the services are done by a factory trained tech or some one the factory considers cable it violated the warrenty!
As far as the manuals well the warrenty doesn't last for ever. And just because you can read doesn't mean you can do the work right.
Lawyer Call who ever you want the firm of comeon were going to get you and how is wait for your call.

·
Super Moderator
704 Posts
molebaby said:
Maybe kawasaki changed there policy when you went thru factory service dept. training . But when I went thru the training at Irvine Cal. they told me unless the services are done by a factory trained tech or some one the factory considers cable it violated the warrenty!
As far as the manuals well the warrenty doesn't last for ever. And just because you can read doesn't mean you can do the work right.
Another reason I wouldn't own a Kawasaki I guess. I'd sooner have my wifes Buell than the best thing they have to offer.

molebaby said:
Lawyer Call who ever you want the firm of comeon were going to get you and how is wait for your call.
Can you say that in english? I'm not even capable of guessing what you were trying to say.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I believe there is a law that states warranties cannot be denied based on whom the maintenance was done by as long as it was properly performed. I forget the name of the ruling and am unsure if it is true or not. Does anybody know?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by molebaby
Lawyer Call who ever you want the firm of comeon were going to get you and how, is wait for your call.

Can you say that in english? I'm not even capable of guessing what you were trying to say.

Sound it out, I know you can do it!

·
Registered
183 Posts
They cannot void the warranty, its covered by various state and federal laws.

Molebaby where is your dealership so I can be sure never to visit it. Its people like you that cause the term "stealership" to be coin.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Angrypenguin said:
They cannot void the warranty, its covered by various state and federal laws.

Molebaby where is your dealership so I can be sure never to visit it. Its people like you that cause the term "stealership" to be coin.
Thats what I was told in 92 by KMC.. Like I said maybe Kawi has changed there policy when you went there!
Thank you very much I don't need people like you at my shop. .:finger:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Go a head and do your own work, your taking food out of my mouth when you do. I may have to hornor your factory warrenty but I don't have to put you in front of my paying customers. And maybe one day after you do all your own work you will go to a shop for some thing and guess what we won't be there. You will drivin us out of bus.:twofinger
I will no longer talking to fools.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
molebaby said:
Go a head and do your own work, your taking food out of my mouth when you do. I may have to hornor your factory warrenty but I don't have to put you in front of my paying customers. And maybe one day after you do all your own work you will go to a shop for some thing and guess what we won't be there. You will drivin us out of bus.:twofinger
What about dealerships taking food out of their customer's mouths by charging ridiculous prices for work that can be done by almost any backyard mechanic just as well? You don't seem to mind that. If I have to choose between taking food out of your mouth or mine it's a no brainer. I just can't justify spending $50 or more for an oil change (actually at the dealership I went to it was closer to $70-$80) when I can do it myself for under $10. Same goes for any number of basic maintenance items. Stop with the whining....if you want more business you can lower costs, improve customer service, etc. Don't just expect business to fall in your lap, or you will go out of business. Based on your attitude in this and other threads I've seen, I don't think that would be a bad thing either.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
Mystery Squid said:

Or is it just that the warranty payment isn't inflated nearly enough?
:twofinger
B I N G O and Bingo was his name-o! :thumb:

·
Registered
624 Posts
molebaby said:
Seriously though, I don't own my own m/c business, so I can only guess. Please tell us why "paying customers" go in "front" of the warranty people?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Stealerships are the reason I learned to change my own tires, and do all my own maintenance including an upcoming valve check.
My dealership charges $60.00 PER TIRE to mount and balance. Come on, it takes 15min. I don't want to rant but I trust my own expertise on oil changes over someone who doesn't really give a damn about my bike or my safety.
Honda oil filter $18.99
Fram $4.99

I'm no Fool.

·
Registered
624 Posts
hoopster said:
I don't want to rant but I trust my own expertise on oil changes over someone who doesn't really give a damn about my bike or my safety.
:thumb:

Yup, first time I took my bike to the STEALERship for service, I cam home and found a gas tank rubber dampner/stopper, stuck in my rear spring...

The second time, they completely ignored a weird idle issue I was having,

And the third time, two of my mirror screws were missing, AND my kickstand switch was left unplugged....

I know, I shouldn't have gone back after the first one, but I gave them another chance. The third time, I specifically asked for a carb-synch ONLY, as I didn't want to dick around with it.

Looks like I'm getting a synch tool now...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have had pretty good luck with the two dealerships I have dealt with. I too perform maintenance on my own bike due to what they charge. I took mine in for the initial maintenance/check up because they said Kawasaki wouldnt honor the warranty if I didnt! I did mine at 1000 mi. though...
As for things you cannot do..check local bike shops. I have one that I buy tires and have them mounted at because they sell the tires very reasonable and dont charge half what a dealer wants to mount them!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts