Votes: 14 100.0%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
mac020 said:
I don't think so.
I like how a deer is supposed to be so sensetive that it can hear this whistle, but apparently they aren't quite sensetive enough to hear a bike screaming toward them. Sounds like a gimmick to me.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I doubt it. I think they're all standing around the salt lick in deer heaven still telling the same three stories about how it went down. The ones that saw the light, the ones that saw the light that whistled, and then every fall, a rush of ones who saw the guy in the orange cap who reeked of doe piss.:)

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Dad said:
...and then every fall, a rush of ones who saw the guy in the orange cap who reeked of doe piss.:)
:hello:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have lived in deer country most of my riding life. Said whistles sell, but they do not work.

Year before last there was an operation on a hwy I often use some miles from home. With all the equipment that gobbled up the top few inches of the tarmac & did all the rest to come out with fresh material, some of you may have seen & realize it requires a number of machines sort of locked togeather SO a lot of men & other vehicles.

Single run does a lane. They had done one lane on each side & so on the south side again. I am rding along & slow down due to all the vehicles, men such as am going by all this noise ONLY I look down in the ditch & there are 3 Mule Deer peacefully eating away at the grass -----the noise & men did not scare them.

In fact nothing scares them for they live only a few feet or yards back of the ditch in the thick growth of pine trees & a maze of 18 wheelers & such are screaming past all the time. Many fitted with deer whistles!!!!!!!!!!

Fact is this is a busy hwy, for big truckers, from the lower B.C. Interior leading to Vancouver, B.C. along with many small cities & towns along the way & natch the other way as well---lots of vehicles.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I love how there are 108 views on this thread, and 6 replies. Fu**in lurker mother fu**ers:mad:

·
Registered
505 Posts
A couple of years ago i tried em for the hell of it,I did not see any difference.Heck wensday moring on the way to work I literaly pulled up to with in ten feet of a deer who rasied her head looked at me on my bike and didn't even think of running.Here in the burbs they are just too used to strange noises and people to be afraid.In that vein of though no way a wistle will work if my Triumph exhaust didn't startle it.:2cents:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I have learned that those dear whistles work for nothing than to make some really smart business man a lot of money from the people who but them.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have to agree on the money making bit of those that make them & yes you tend to find them in so many places it is simply amazing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i can't say how well they work at what they're supposed to, but they're not supposed to startle deer and make them run, they are supposed to get the deers interest, make them stop and look to see what it is, so if there's one on the road, you can swerve and miss it, or if they're on the side they wont' run on the road, it's meant to keep them from running infront of you, i hit one a year and a half ago on my bike, and the only thing i'd really trust, is not riding faster than my headlights can go, if i'm on a back road i'm usually not going any faster than 30mph, if nothing else, it's good for keeping the cops from following me home every night like they used to, one trip down that 3 mile road, only going 30mph, and they give up real fast

·
Registered
38 Posts
tt_four -- if nothing else, it's good for keeping the cops from following me home every night like they used to, one trip down that 3 mile road, only going 30mph, and they give up real fast.

Around here thats a reason for the cops to pull you over, "why is that rider going so slow- must be up to no good"
Sad but too true.

I have be wondering about them deer whistles for sometime and from the replies
it sure seems they don`t work.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I heard if you put them on backwards, deer will chase you.:dunno:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Dad that sounds like a good tip for hunters. Then thing is for one hunter be at the side of the road as another honks up the road & since deer chase a rider there is the answer ------ mind you in not hitting the deer with a shot, might be taking down your hunting friend on the bike. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts