Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me and the guy before me we both passed our road tests at the VA dmv in newport news today. It was my 2nd time. I tried one day ago and failed bad. I went back today on the R6, and passed by one point. I don't know what all I was marked off for but I didn't really care. The guy before me had a ff600 in blue. That thing looks hot to.
I know I know MSF MSF. its booked for 3 months. But my seat is reserved, course is paid for. I will be there.
I did practice the course that was layed out before I took it for the 2nd time. I wasn't perfect, but I was good enough. So I'm happy.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey I lived in Newport News for 5 years while I was in the Navy still have some friends there. I didn't know it was that hard to get a mc license there. I liked living there but found a better job up here in Wiconsin. Well just thought i'd chime in.:cool:

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I think it really depends on a few different factors. The particular state, the person giving the exam (and how harsh they are), the particular bike, and of course the skill of the rider.

·
Registered
370 Posts
YUP

I did it on my first try on a friends GSXR..... Lost 5 points for putting my foot down during the u-turn (bike didn't like 2mph turn)

I had been riding for years and had taken the MSF course about 6 years before in PA and had the endorsement as well but it wasn't transferred over to FL when I moved here for some reason, so I had to get the endorsement (after I got caught in a DUI check point) in a hurry...

Not that hard if you "know" how to ride and accident avoidance...

·
Registered
129 Posts
In MN you have to wait a week to take it after you fail and good luck getting an appointment in the twin cities area. The test is very doable on a sportbike, i passed no problem the second time, even managed to throw a stoppie in the mix during the exam. I was doing the quick stop and the guy said i let up the first time and asked me to do it agian so i stayed in the gas and the second i crossed the line layed into the brakes pulling the rear up about a foot. I stoped, it set down, the instructor said, "that was cute", i responded with, "well i stoped and i definitly didn't let up", at that point he signed the sheet and told me to, "get out of here".....lol

·
Registered
352 Posts
Definately depends on the marker. I don't know how your tests are but up here they're done on public roads with an earpiece in under your helmet. I passed mine with only 1 extra mark because I "didn't shit enough".... all on 40km/h roads with a sportbike, 1 shift was lucky to get in.

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,434 Posts
I passed on my first try with an F4. I'd been riding for a little over a year at that point though. I got my permit the first time and let it expire (why I couldn't find time to get the endorsement within the first year I don't know), so I had to get my permit again and wait 30 more days. :laughing:

The instructor said that any production bike was capable of completing the course with a perfect score. He said the bike cops had to take this same test from time to time on their Harley's and not one of them could get less than a perfect score.

That being said, he didn't have anyone actually do it and prove it to us, so it may have been :bs: about the perfect score thing, but I do believe that any bike could pass the test in Indiana at least. :2cents:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Yeah, the wrong bike can really make it hard, I tell everyone to go borrow a 250 or 500 to take it. I did mine on a BMW tourer, it took me 3 times, the instructor let me rerun it on the spot, she knew I had a hard bike to take it on.

James.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My wife passed WA test on CBR600 only 3 weeks after learning to ride any bike at all. Got a better score than I did, too. :finger:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
In B.C. Cdn., if you passed the Provincial test on a bike under 200cc then you were allowed to have up to 200cc max in size bike. So most take it with over 200cc bike.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I opted for the motorcycle safety course

In cali you can take the motorcycle saftey course and recieve your license without taking dmvs riding test. It was a good refresher after being off two wheels for ten years. I would recommend it to all riders regardless weather they have thier license already or not. Ive heard many long time riders say that after a while they tend to forget about some of the little things that is taught in the course that could be real life savers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh yea, I fully intend on taking the course. My seat is reserved for july 9-11th. I have allready paid for it. So unless something major comes up I will be at it. I just could not wait that long to ride I had to get my license. But with a part time job it als makes it hard to get in on stand by. So I'm just going to have to wait untill then to take it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts