Sportbike World banner

Dissed by fellow riders

2K views 22 replies 22 participants last post by  Reign 
#1 ·
Gentlemen and ladies. I usually don't whine too much, but this one kind of got me. I was riding Sunday, just cruising along in a really good mood. I was waving at anyone on two wheels, getting responses from most. I come upon three sportbikes, not sure what they were, but I throw a wave, the guys look right at me and just keep on trucking. I guess because I'm only riding an SV that "real" sportbikes can look down upon me. I can understand it from Harleys and cruisers and have even come to expect it, but not from other sportbike riders. Am I not in the same category as sportbikes because I don't have a $10K liter bike? Just wanted to know.

#5 ·
Waving:

Most do, some dont.

The sport attracts all types of personalities and he could have just been in a bad mood or caught off guard ~like I have a few times, and even though I see you, its just too late to throw out a wave....

Dont sweat it. :)

#6 ·
Do not fret.

Some do & some do not. It is up to them. Man I am into my 56th yr of riding & getting tired of waving back to beginners to those with experience. I truck along & so do they. Most, in this area, are not fans for waving.

#8 ·
Hopefully they were just having a bad day or missed the opportunity to wave back. I've noticed that alot of people on this site really appreciate the SV so it appears that the bike is respected as a sportbike by most & only the very ignorant would "dis" the ride just because it doesn';t have an "R" in its' name. You're riding man & that means alot in my book.

#10 ·
I wave at everyone, Harleys, sports, mopeds, and kids riding in the backseat. Most times I get a wave or a nod back. Sometimes I don't. But who cares.

I do know that sometimes people wave at me but I see it too late to acknowledge it. That could be what happened in your situation. Don't let it bother you.

#11 ·
arseholes

arsehole... probably...

I have noticed that "outlaw" harleys, newbies and old farts on goldwings are the worst about returning a wave... outlaws are jagoffs, newbies probably don't know better, and the old guy are suffering from senility.

sportbike riders around here are good about returning the wave, but subtle. usually just a nod, or they'll sort of raise a couple of fingers off the grip.

#17 ·
if someone not waving back at you causes you enough grief to start a thread over it, dont wave at anyone ever again. its called stress management. so what? maybe he was using his clutch and brake, thats the main reason i dont wave at people, bikers, cagers, and peds. just unwad your panties and keep riding, later
dash

#18 ·
I wonder if they realize that a really good rider, may actually out-perform them on their "real bikes".

The SV is a great bike (although I've never ridden one, but considered buying one); and maybe even more practical for your needs. Screw 'em. They were probably squids concentratin too hard on looking cool.

#19 ·
oldgixer said:
It's generally agreed upon out here that:

Harley dudes can't wave back, they'd drop their tools.:D
Thats good. Can I use that line sometime?:)

Someone else in these forums once said that HD riders don't wave back because their too busy shoveling coal into the engine.

These two lines are just too perfect.

#20 ·
I'd wave at you, no doubt. I get snubbed by more and more sportbike riders each season. I hate to say it, but there is a growing faction withing sportbike riding that seems to have copped an attitude from some of the snobby Harley riders (a lot of whom DO wave back at me). If you look down on any rider ONLY because of the bike they ride, you are a pathetic life form. ;) You don't have to like their ride, but you can still like the persona and acknowledge that he is a fellow rider.

#21 ·
I'd wave

:) even when my hands are busy I throw out a 'node'(as good as a wink to a blind bat),even though $10k is alot to most people,I've noticed a growing number of new riders that its no big deal to, and have zero knowlege of the motorcycle community, just keep wavin they will catch on (or provide parts for us:p :p )

#22 ·
There's a bar in Elkridge, MD that attracts Harley riders like flies to shit. I'd pass it every saturday in the early afternoon on my way to ride, and there would be a bunch of the leather-chapped dudes hanging out. I always gave them a big wave as I passed. They ignored me (BMW K bike not cool enough?).

3 hours later I'd roll by again on my way home, and THE SAME DUDES would be sitting on their bikes. Big wave... ignored.

So, every beautiful saturday afternoon these doofs would park their bikes and pound beers all day while the rest of us were busy riding the things. Huh.

#23 ·
I wave to all bikers, little kids starring at me, and even give head nods to cagers in the intersection for not cutting me off or hitting me.
When I don't get a wave back, usually I think "what ever" or on ocassion " what a dick head".
After a while I came to realize that most Gold Wings (winabago of motorcycles) don't wave back. Their to comfortable riding there couch.

Don't sweat it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.