Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thinking of getting a new can in the next two weeks. Just wanted to know what the difference is between slip ons and bolt ons, or if it's just different terminology.

Also, is it easy to install? I'm mechanically inclined, but don't know if you need to "procure" (which is a bad word in any manual meaning "Good luck finding this tool") a special tool. Thanks all.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mostly, same but different. "Slip-on" has become the generic term for replacing just the can, whether the union to the header/ lead in pipe is slip-fit pipe or a bolt-on flange.

Some bolt on cans just use standard hex nuts or bolts, but some use Allen head bolts.

The slip-ons I've seen use either springs or band clamps.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ZR RIDER said:
Mostly, same but different. "Slip-on" has become the generic term for replacing just the can, whether the union to the header/ lead in pipe is slip-fit pipe or a bolt-on flange.

Some bolt on cans just use standard hex nuts or bolts, but some use Allen head bolts.

The slip-ons I've seen use either springs or band clamps.
ZR:

What would be the better? I was leaning more towards the bolt on... Gracias for the info.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are just replacing the can and leaving the factory header pipe, you will get whichever style your factory system already uses. The exhaust manufacturers know what style to send you from the year, make, model info you provide them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts