Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What differences, in terms of riding, do the 998 and the 900 have? Is one more agile than the other? Does one have higher quality parts? Or do you have a preference?

Your oppinions are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Rio,
you are looking at completely different bikes. Never ridden a 998, but.......
One is a 4 valve motor (998) one is a 2 valver (900ss). BamBam mentioned the HUGE difference in power. Both are uncomfortable agressive riding postures, but the 900SS is prolly a bit more comfortable.

·
Registered
329 Posts
:eek: Lets not even mention the 900 ss is air cooled and 998 water cooled. I may be a little misinformed, but I also thought that the 998 comes with "better" suspension components ie. shock, forks, adjusters. lifetime supply of chiorpractor visits:D :finger: just kidin.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Rio said:
What differences, in terms of riding, do the 998 and the 900 have? Is one more agile than the other? Does one have higher quality parts? Or do you have a preference?

Your oppinions are appreciated.
They're both available in the same colors and they both come with Ducati stickers. That's about it.

You're talking 2 different worlds. It's not a good comparison.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for any confusion, I noticed there was a 998, 998S, and 998R.....and then there was the 900 and the 900SS.

Paul, When I was looking at the ducati website, the differences weren't readily appearant. The air cooled & water cooled was something I didn't know, so that helped. If the bikes are really as different as you say, it really is a good comparison since I'm asking what the differences are and not what the similarities are.

funksouljon, so the 900SS is not a V-twin like the 998?

Again, thank you everyone for your input.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh, it was ineviable........
i knew somebody would set me off............
i'll try to keep it brief.......
both are: v-twin, four stroke, steel framed, italian, beautiful, agile machines.
both feature disc brakes and desmo valve operation.
the differences are...........for year 2002 bikes SUPERBIKES- 998 cc 4 valve per cyl. watercooled narrow valve angle "testastratta" heads. (new for 2002 998 +998s, cost a bloody fortune on 2001 996r)
race derived frame geometry, dual underseat exhaust, single sided swingarm, fully adjustable top notch suspension
a very capable racer, with plates, signals, emission gear.
SUPERSPORT 900cc two valve aircooled engine with a heritage reaching back 20 something years to the pantah 500
a sporty frame, more for tight road use than track, ugly exhaust (change for high termagoni's as soon as possible) dual side swingarm, suspension not what i'd expect for the money
to sum it up......both are exotic, beautiful italians.
one has the spirit and technology of 2002 (but will probably be a competitive racer for years to come....they have dominated production based superbike racing for ages)
one with the spirit of days gone past, more "character" (read rattles, bangs, shakes etc.) a simplistic machine that will not satisfy on the edge riders with it's (comparitively) limp output and suspension.
(if i seem biased, i'm a bit tech oriented. but i'd probably choose a half faired 900ss, aqua frame w/ silver paint (both metallic) brake and susp upgrades, motor work etc. it'd still cost less than a 998,
and i'm not fast enough to notice the missing hp.)
ps. if you want women, buy a 998.
pps i am very healthy, active, flexable. sitting on a 2001 996 for a few minuites hurt. these are not comfortrable machines. (and i ride a gsxr!)

·
Registered
7 Posts
having just posted, i went back and saw you ride an r1.
more focused reply follows..............
900ss has approx 55% your hp, will not come close to your handling or braking. (about 30-40 lb more, too)
998 has 90-95% your hp, similar braking and handling (numerically speaking) in the base version, but better feel regarding your limits (or rather, the bikes limits)
it stands out much more from every other mass built machine in feel, sound, and looks (mv agusta excluded)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Comfort...

I've ridden the 900SS for a year now - it takes a lot of getting used to - long stretch to the slipons but the tankpad thingy helps a lot!!
I've also ridden a 996SPS (similar to the 998) on a prolonged test ride.
Verdict: for my build, (6'2 220lbs) the 996 was MORE comfortable than my SS.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1 Posts
... yes both 900SS & 996/8 are great ride.
I've had a 748S Bi-Posto (similer to 996, smaller motor) for 3 months covering 7000kms & the riding position can be hard on your wrists & arse. Heaps of engine noise (rattle/clatter that sort of thing) on both 900SS & 998 I reckon, compared to anything from Japan that is.
If ride days (at race tracks) & Sunday afternoon scratching is your thing then the 998 the way to go, they love to corner. Chicks go wet at the sight of one too.
Test ride them both before go for either.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've had both, and they are completely different. My '00 900SS was louder and more comfortable, but my '00 996 is still pretty loud and less comfortable (I'm 6'3/255#).

IMO, the 900SS is a good all-around sportbike. Handles pretty darn good, great drive out of corners due to the usable torque, fairly comfortable ('cept for torturous seat pad) and looks....um.....Italian (love 'em or hate 'em).

My '00 996 is a totally different beast. Less comfortable (my right pinkie and palm of my right hand go numb sooner than on the SS), way more powerful, handles incredibly and looks the $hit!!!

The 996 is definitely a purpose built tool, and worth it if you can tolerate it's shortcomings and can afford it.

Ciao

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Rio said:

funksouljon, so the 900SS is not a V-twin like the 998?
Oh no, they are both twins, just different valve set ups and different displacements. Like Paul said, they are completely diff. No compairison. Gix11 has a complete list of diffs between the 2. The 900SS is a great bike, but I found that I was ready for more motor, the 900ss has about 79 hp stock. Not that i would want 150+ but around 100hp would of been nice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for your replies, particularly gix11 for that detailed comparison. I'm not sure if I'm going to get one in the near future, but at least I know the difference between the two now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
by the way........
I HATE YOU ALL!!!!!!!
just kidding........
but i wish i had the cash for an italian beast
(with mondial, mv, benneli, aprillia, and gilera building sportbikes now (or again) in addition to old guards moto guzzi and ducati (is laverda still producing?) italian companies will likely outnumber the rest of the world on the racing grids in the near future

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
gix11, If you want to sleep with the local dealer and his wife, they might be able to work something out for you. Only thing is you have to be able to stomach his profuse sweating and smelling life pastrami. And her poor grooming habits. Oh, and she wears the pants. You and he can take turns being on the receiving end of a strap-on.

·
Registered
455 Posts
More like an R1 to a YZF600.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts