Sportbike World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that you get what you pay for. If this is true, is the R1 really thousands of dollars better than the FZ1? How about the ZX-12R v. the ZX-12 standard? It's hard for me to believe with all the fantastic reviews the new naked bikes have been getting that a sport bike of the same size would be worth the extra CA$H. Is this the case? I'm dying to know!
Thanks

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
If you like naked bikes then Hell no the fully faired version is not worth is for street riding. IMO :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I love having a naked bike and everyone that I talk to seems to like its looks. I like the FZ1 but I'm wondering if the hardcore sportbikers really accept naked bikes as sportbikes.

·
Registered
123 Posts
f_a_s_t_l_a_n_e said:
I love having a naked bike and everyone that I talk to seems to like its looks. I like the FZ1 but I'm wondering if the hardcore sportbikers really accept naked bikes as sportbikes.

I was also wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
GixxerSixxer said:
If this is true, is the R1 really thousands of dollars better than the FZ1? How about the ZX-12R v. the ZX-12 standard?
Do you meanthe ZRX1200R instead of ZX-12 standard? I've never heard of a ZX-12 standard before.

If you are however speaking of a ZRX1200R, I don't think you can draw comparisons to the ZX-12R. Unlike the FZ-1, which is based on the R1, the ZRX shares next to nothing, and is not related to the ZX-12 in any way.....as far as I know.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm not sure about getting your money's worth. Price is a relative thing when it comes to something you want. I can say that I was able to ride an SV650 while at the Honda Hoot in Knoxville, TN a couple of weeks ago and I loved it!! I have heard alot of great things about the SV but didn't realize it would be such a blast. It handled great, was extremely light and had good power.

Geez......I can't believe I have such good things to say about a bike that's not green!!

P

·
0 Posts
f_a_s_t_l_a_n_e said:
but I'm wondering if the hardcore sportbikers really accept naked bikes as sportbikes.
When a "hardcore sportbiker" on an R1 gets his ass whooped by a rider on an FZ1, then he'll accept it. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
I like the looks of my naked bike all except for the front, it's not aggressive enough.

Now is there a difference between a naked streetbike with the little half fair and one without.

On the bandit forum naked means the one without the little fairing but I believe when you classify bandits in general they are all considered naked streetbikes with or without the small fairing.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Re: Did you get your money's worth?

Hysyde said:

Do you meanthe ZRX1200R instead of ZX-12 standard? I've never heard of a ZX-12 standard before.

If you are however speaking of a ZRX1200R, I don't think you can draw comparisons to the ZX-12R. Unlike the FZ-1, which is based on the R1, the ZRX shares next to nothing, and is not related to the ZX-12 in any way.....as far as I know.
The ZRX1200r is basically a punched out ZRX1100. The ZRX1100 motor is based on the ZX-11 Ninja. The cams, carbs, etc for the ZX-11 can be are directly installed to the ZRX. Remember, the ZX-11 was the speed champion for years.

Not sure what all they changed for the ZRX1200. They got rid of the cylinder sleeves and electroplated the cylinders for one.

The ZRX is a great bike. Had a ZRX1100 before I got the 12R

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Did you get your money's worth?

Eric00zx12r said:
The ZRX is a great bike. Had a ZRX1100 before I got the 12R
Which bike do you prefer?

I knew the ZRX1200r was a decendant of the ZX-11, but I wasn't sure how much the ZX-12R had in common with the ZX-11 and therefore the ZRX.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Kawboy said:
Geez......I can't believe I have such good things to say about a bike that's not green!!
That's OK.... at least ya' didn't compliment a Honda. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you get your money's worth?

Hysyde said:

I knew the ZRX1200r was a decendant of the ZX-11, but I wasn't sure how much the ZX-12R had in common with the ZX-11 and therefore the ZRX.
The ZRX1100/1200 (standards) are not descendants of the ZX11 (sport/sport-tourer), they only share a similar motor. Everything else is vastly different.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you get your money's worth?

Hysyde[/i] [B] Which bike do you prefer? I knew the ZRX1200r was a decendant of the ZX-11 said:

The ZRX1100/1200 (standards) are not descendants of the ZX11 (sport/sport-tourer), they only share a similar motor. Everything else is vastly different.
Right....just the motor is based on the ZX11. The rest of the bike is based on the Eddi Lawson superbike that he won the Championship with in the early 80's (if memory serves corectly)
At that time Kaw put out a ELR...Eddi Lawson Replica. Looked just like the race bike. Think it was a KZ1000

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I think that most sportbikers would consider my SV a "sportbike," despite the insurance classification. It helps that it isn't a replica bike based on designs from the 1970's and 1980's. I think the same is true for the Fazer. While the FZ1 is being compared in tests to all the Retro Sport Cruisers, I don't know too many people who would see those bikes as sport bikes. It remains to be seen. The benefit to the FZ1 is that it's more R1 than not.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Did you get your money's worth?

Eric00zx12r said:
There really is no compairison. These bikes are for two totaly different functions.
Right...I guess I didn't word that question very well. What I meant to say is, if you had to chose again, between the two, and only those two, as your one and only bike, which would it be? I know personal tastes vary, and the two bikes are designed for different purposes, but I like to hear individual opinions.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Probably stick with the 12. It is total fun. My wife even likes to ride on the back of the 12 better. Since it has its own passanger seat, she can up higher and see over me.

If you can afford it, and have the experience, I would get the 12. Like the busa, it is NOT a beginner bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts