Sportbike World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not get the memo?
I have been riding to work a few days this week and I seen on 2 different occasions a bike just ride the shoulder for a mile and a half to get to the exit in traffic? Now traffic was not completely stopped but just crawling at 10-15 mph on freeway. The one guy rode the shoulder on southbound 75 from just past the rochester rd exit to the 14 mile exit. This is way over a mile!
Apparently he does not understand what kind of rude inconsiderate prick drivers we are in Michigan. Someone's liable to just rub him into the guard rail for those actions

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
I witnessed that the other day...basturds! But how nice would it be to lane split? I was in California once and it is legal there, bikes were zipping through the lanes....this was a few years back, not sure if it is still legal. Just doesn't seem safe to me.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
I wouldn't do it only because there's too much shit on the side of the roads and I wouldn't want to get something in my tire.

Jen

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i've done it before (come to think of it, a few of you guys were there...) but only if traffic is dead stopped, and we sure as hell didn't go too fast. i try not to make a habbit of doing really unsafe or really dumb stuff

·
Registered
428 Posts
i seen a guy on a Harley do it the other day when i was coming home from work. i was over by 696 and Telegraph area and this guy rode the shoulder for miles and miles. It was at that point i wondered was that legal? It must be the cool thing to do now.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Never done it as far as I can remember...It's possible...
I'd refrain unless I had fuel issues, temp issues, hot clutch chatter, or a emergency of some sort.
Then again, I'e rode on sidewalks quite a few times, so I'm not perfect.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Duner said:
Never done it as far as I can remember...It's possible...
I'd refrain unless I had fuel issues, temp issues, hot clutch chatter, or a emergency of some sort.
Then again, I'e rode on sidewalks quite a few times, so I'm not perfect.
but that was for chasing down 17yr old girls with tiny clothes on...

:twofinger

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
jjkGURU said:
but that was for chasing down 17yr old girls with tiny clothes on...

:twofinger
No,
Just the hot college chicks you blow off, in favor of jurassic aged women.....:D :twofinger :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Headlight said:
Yeah I've done it a couple times this year VERY carefully. A guy at work rides the shoulder everyday to get through the lodge crap.
HEY!! Don't put my business out there! ;) Dealing with Southfield and Lodge being closed sucks. I only ride up the ramp from Northwestern onto 696.

Headlight, where your gear when you ride to work. I don't care how hot you say it is. Haha.

·
Registered
354 Posts
lane splitting

I lived in California for 8 years and had a bike for that whole time. Yes, lane splitting is a legal practice. The law states "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

I participated in lane splitting on the surface streets to get in front of traffic at stop lights and on the e-ways when traffic was bumper to bumper going 20-30mph stop and go.

Now that it's legal for motorcycles to travel on HOV lanes you don't see as much lane splitting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Re: lane splitting

Blue Z said:
I lived in California for 8 years and had a bike for that whole time. Yes, lane splitting is a legal practice. The law states "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner."

I participated in lane splitting on the surface streets to get in front of traffic at stop lights and on the e-ways when traffic was bumper to bumper going 20-30mph stop and go.

Now that it's legal for motorcycles to travel on HOV lanes you don't see as much lane splitting.
Too bad it's not like that here.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Soulja said:
HEY!! Don't put my business out there! ;) Dealing with Southfield and Lodge being closed sucks. I only ride up the ramp from Northwestern onto 696.

Headlight, where your gear when you ride to work. I don't care how hot you say it is. Haha.
ssshhhh No comments from the commuter gallery! :laughing:

·
Registered
163 Posts
I was just in Cali last week and yes its still legal. Freeways surface roads...all is fair game for a bike in Cali. Considering how bad the drivers there are I would not do it. People riding the white to see how far traffic is backed up and such. There was still shit for biker consideration out there. Makes for an excuse though when someone pisses you off. "Ya I took his mirror off he was in my white line lane.":twofinger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts