Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago I needed an oil change. No problem, I've done it plenty of times this year. I drain the oil, had a really tough time getting the filter off even though I torqued it to spec, then started filling it back up with GN4 oil and a new K&N filter like I've always been doing.

So I put 3 quarts in, start the engine to fill the filter with no problems, then add more to get the level between the indicators. However I run out of oil just below the lower indicator. No problem, I'll just leave the bike alone and pick up another quart within the next few days then fill it up and start the engine and check the level again.

So I bought 4 quarts of HP4 oil, the sorta semi-synthetic Honda oil, since that's what I was planning on using in my next oil change, whenever that would be. So I topped it off with HP4 then started the engine... sortof. The engine started but idled rough and at about 1000rpms. Oil level seemed fine... I thought, well that's odd, so I drained a little oil thinking I overfilled it then started it again today with the same result. So then I drained all the oil and put my new HP4 in and measured how much I put in this time. All seemed fine and normal but when I went to crank the engine I didn't even hear any combustion whatsoever this time. It cranks over but it doesn't sound like an engine is attached.

What the hell did I do to my bike? The only thing I did differently was top it off with about .2 qts of HP4 instead of GN4.

·
Registered
369 Posts
If you filled the oil correctly to the right level, or are reasonably close, I'm sure oil isn't the problem, and you have something else going on. If you overfilled it, it would bog down and it might blow smoke, and if you underfilled it nothing would happen, unless it was so low that the oil pickup was uncovered, in which case the engine would seize.

Check the usual... fuel, spark, codes, etc...

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Did you drop the bike by any chance? When the bikes gets tipped the oil can pour into someplace it isnt supposed to, and when you start it, it will sounds very very badly for a little while.

But it should still start. There is something else going on. Chances are you unplugged something while you were messing with it.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Mister Tee said:
If you filled the oil correctly to the right level, or are reasonably close, I'm sure oil isn't the problem, and you have something else going on. If you overfilled it, it would bog down and it might blow smoke, and if you underfilled it nothing would happen, unless it was so low that the oil pickup was uncovered, in which case the engine would seize.

Check the usual... fuel, spark, codes, etc...
+1. Pull a sparkplug. If its wet with oil, you know what to check. If its wet with gas, you have to check the ignition. Any chance you disturbed an electrical connection while you were struggling with the old oil filter? How about a pinched fuel or vacuum line?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Rundog said:
+1. Pull a sparkplug. If its wet with oil, you know what to check. If its wet with gas, you have to check the ignition. Any chance you disturbed an electrical connection while you were struggling with the old oil filter? How about a pinched fuel or vacuum line?
Wet with oil? What do you check in that case? Assuming the rings arent shot (shouldnt be, new bike) the only other explanation I can think off is that there is oil in the air box, from either being tipped over, or PCV valve or something...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Could be totally unrelated. I know one of my buddies had a F4 and keep getting water in the tank from condensation.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, I may have been a little over zealous with my oil change. I pulled the #4 plug and got this:

So... how do I fix it?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm positive. Its in neutral, I haven't dropped it and everything is plugged in just fine. Apparently I'll have to clean out the oil from the cylinders and replace the plugs and try to crank it over until it starts.

It genuinely sucks since I've been doing an oil change for the past week while the weather's been fantastic. Initially I had to keep going back to the hardware store to buy progressively larger tools to remove the oil filter with. I've only had a few minutes a day to work on it which might be why I forgot how much oil I was putting in it... Oops.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Vash said:
Wet with oil? What do you check in that case
Running the engine with too much oil can cause oil to be forced up through the breather tube into the airbox, etc. Doesn't take much to ground out the plugs, making starting difficult. You got them brakes straight, V.?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
Right, I may have been a little over zealous with my oil change. I pulled the #4 plug and got this:

So... how do I fix it?
Clean and dry all 4 plugs. Verify the oil level and go have fun!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so an update. I took the bike apart today expecting to find oil everywhere but everything looks fine. I looked into the airbox; filter is clean, it doesn't look like anything came through the breather tube, and the throttle bodies are clean except for a small amount of oil around the top of the butterflys. Removed all four plugs and all are similarly wet with oil. Haven't tried cranking it yet and I'm still trying to swab the inside of the cylinder to see what's inside. I'm going to bring my spark plug to the Honda dealer and go... well, wtf do I do now?

I suppose I should take advantage of my bike being in pieces so I can work on some of those projects I had lined up... while the weather continues to be very, very nice. Damn damn.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
you dont need to get everything cleaned, just change your plugs. Once you have dry plugs in there, the engine should fire, and it will burn the oil from everything else pretty quickly. Might smoke abit while its warming up, but thats about it

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I figured. Essentially the dealer said the same thing and I ended up walking away with some plug contact cleaner so I'll clean everything up, put everything back together, and see what happens. Thanks all

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
When I was a kid I had a couple of Suzi 2 cycle cycles. ('72 TS90 and a '75 TS400). I'd be riding along and wham the bike would just quit. Change the plug and off we went for another 2 or 3 thousand miles!

Just the slightest bit of oil/carbon will short out a plug and there ya go. No sparky.

I found that sometimes just pulling the sparkplug cap(s) back so there is about a 1/8" gap will sometimes help with dirty plugs.
If she starts be sure and shut the engine off before touching the caps or you might get knocked on your ass.:p

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another update. Had a friend come over today to check it out and its still a mystery. There's spark on the plugs at least #4, gas is getting in the engine, no computer error codes, and there's still zero combustion. Any new ideas? I'll have new plugs in a few days, maybe that would do something. Since everything was already taken apart I put in an Ohlins rear suspension so I accomplished something.

·
Registered
892 Posts
OSUrid3r said:
Since everything was already taken apart I put in an Ohlins rear suspension so I accomplished something.

Ahhhhhhh.....See good in bad....

·
Registered
272 Posts
When you crank it do you hear a slapping or tapping sound from the starter? If not, the starter might be working, but not engaging onto the flywheel to turn over the engine. good luck mate:cheers:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts