Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im going to be deploying for 4-5 months and im wondering if there is anything special i need to do in order to keep the bike up. it will be in a storage unit, and the wife is going to start it once a week or so, but should i just disconnect the battery instead and not have her start it? plus anything else i need to know?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Bike storage

For only a 4-5 month period, I would just put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and connect a charger (such as Battery Tender) to the battery. I store my bike that way over the winter for about that long and never have any problems. I start my bike every now and then as well, but there is some debate on whether this is good or bad.

Good luck on your deployment. Keep your head down if you're going to Iraq! God Bless.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea im going to iraq... :( right in the middle of shit. and ive heard of a battery tender where can i get one, as this is short notice and im leaving in like a couple days if not sooner

·
Registered
526 Posts
walmart

walmart sells one pretty close to the battery tender out here its a bell one I think. its like $19.00 bucks. I use it on my four wheelers and never had a problem so far.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so do i take the battery out of the bike? and hook it up to the tender or does it hook up to the bike/battery as one? wouldnt it need power this way? because my storage does not have power

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
No just buy a small container of fuel stabalizer & READ the instructions for most are aimed at large trucks. Put in about half of what is required then ride down the closest fuel station fill up & the fuel will be stirred around propely. Put in the reaming few ounces & that is it. Bar putting the bike on its prop stand.

Since there is no electricity then you will have to remove the battery & plug it up at home in probably a cooler part of the home. The BT will charge, then put the battery on storage kick in again when the battery shows it is dropping, onh storage again & charge during said time.

When you are back all you have to do is pop the battery back in & hook it up, check your tyre pressure, dust off the bike, hit the starter & the bike will start up like it was to-morrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SkinnyJ said:
hey guys im going to be deploying for 4-5 months and im wondering if there is anything special i need to do in order to keep the bike up. it will be in a storage unit, and the wife is going to start it once a week or so, but should i just disconnect the battery instead and not have her start it? plus anything else i need to know?
you don't need to start the bike every week, you'll just drain the battery. your bike needs to be running over 2000 rpm to even get a charge. you can put fuel stabilizer or you can do the cheap thing and just drain your tank. when you come back your going to need an oil change because you'll build up diposits from old oil. as for the battery, take it out of the bike. most bikes have a constant running clock on it. that negative charge is enough to drain the battery if it's not ran for 4-5 months. and you should always have a battery charger anyways. good luck over there man, i just came back.

SEMPER FI

·
Registered
526 Posts
DRAIN TANK?

wouldnt draining the tank actully cause condensation in it? I always thought when you did the fuel stabilizer you should also have the tank as full as possible to not have condensation. course this is just what Ive done cause thats what I was always told. could be BS for all I know

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Re: DRAIN TANK?

97yzfinwyo said:
wouldnt draining the tank actully cause condensation in it? I always thought when you did the fuel stabilizer you should also have the tank as full as possible to not have condensation. course this is just what Ive done cause thats what I was always told. could be BS for all I know
I've read more than a few times this is a best practice if, for no other reason, than to protect the tank from rusting internally.

EDIT: The best practice is tank full. Sorry for any confusion ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: DRAIN TANK?

97yzfinwyo said:
your right, it could cause condensation, especialy if you live in a humid place. maybe i've just been fortunate but i never had that problem. fuel stabilizer is extremely smart, and in no way am i saying not to do so, i just didn't.

·
Registered
376 Posts
One question I had about bike storage is, do you need to change the oil before you store it, or just afterwards? And do you think I need a battery tender for only two months of storage?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Preferrable before you put the bike away for said storage is to change the oil.

I am giving you suggestions for this is what I have done for past 59 yrs bar fuel stabalizer untill it came on the market. Allso in our shops we would store the customers bikes & the same was carried out. So it worked without a spot of trouble or a single complaint for really it is so simple.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hey thanks guys found out im leaving tomorrow thanks for the help i just put it in storage today. got a battery tender and someone to rotate the tires/move the bike so they dont get flat spots

and im in the Air Force

·
Registered
264 Posts
Don't forget to contact your bank. If you have any loans that are above 6%, they will have to lower the rate while you are active. Good luck, Stay safe, and givem hell.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You do not even need to roll the tyres with the feeling they might have a flat spot. Honest to gosh it is as simple as I said & forget all the "old wives tales" of how to store bikes for remember I have been storing bikes for 59 yrs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts