·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Its magic!

And then wait to hear their explanation when they have record profits again at the next quarter.

Again, magic!

Be glad that you are not pumping diesel!
I was able to get cheap cheap cheap diesel this afternoon! Only $3.999 a gal! Cheaper than the $4.15 a gal average as of late.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need to see if my car will run on Jim Beam, sounds like the cheaper alternative fuel vehicle :wtf:

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
They gotta get control of it.
Lock out the hedge funds, dismantle them, windfall tax them.....something...
Nothing can be repaired till then.
Not housing, not health care, not employment, not inflation, not the credit industry,...nothing

This is not a true recession with oil outta control.
Poor comparision.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I dont see the article saying anything about demand going down, just that its not rising as much as it did before. But yeah, the higher gas price could very well be driven by a falling dollar (wether its because of investors, or because dollar lost is hold on the oil price). The easy way to check would be to see the price of oil in other currency, such as the euro, and see if the price of oil/gas has been going up there too.

This is the only graphic I could find quickly on the subject and its rather ambiguous. True, oil prices are increasing more in dollars, but they are increasing in euros as well.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
How about this take?

Oil is being speculated and used as a hedge against inflation and economic declines (recession anyone?) just like gold is. This fits with the term "black gold" and a friend who's been investing in gold for several years now had also been exploring the use of oil futures for the very same purpose.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Yes it is. Realstate used to be a safe wedge against inflation, but not now. But is that whats causing the price increase? There is no question that speculation is going on, what I do question is wether there is enough to justify the price increase. We are talking about a shitload of money here.
FYI: Recession is defined as two consecutive quaters of a shrinking economy. All we had so far was one quater of reduced growth, economy still climbed 0.6%.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
How about this take?

Oil is being speculated and used as a hedge against inflation and economic declines (recession anyone?) just like gold is. This fits with the term "black gold" and a friend who's been investing in gold for several years now had also been exploring the use of oil futures for the very same purpose.

I was aware of this in 2001, when people were blaming middle east countries and home oil companies for gouging.....and china for draining supplies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts