Sportbike World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this post on a bike-specific forum and was floored at the pictures. To me, these guys had a level of dedication I haven't seen in some time. Particularly interesting to me was the mountain pass shot, and as the note points out, the bike had a foot clutch :eek:

These pics look familiar to any of you more "senior" folks?

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
i've never seen a harley do that before.

definately hard core. what a bunch of squids! no helmets. :laughing:

did you notice that his dad kinda looks like Sean Penn?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
That is back in my time of riding like 5 yrs after I started. In our area most had shifted to Brit irons for dirt riding & even street. A group of us were deep into most forms of competition & we had some of the first dirt comp irons from the UK along with modifications to street bikes so they were competitive in dirt comp & yes even road raceing. Yet a few times I saw an almost stock HD with crash bars front & rear to even saddle bags actually trying to compete in dirt comp. So VERY Club like & a maze of fun.

Riding gear was almost identical though by '48 I was wearing Brit Barbour & Sons waxed cotten m/c gear basically as a jacket while trousers were jeans or ex-army wool battle dress pants. Crash helmet was the "puddin' basin" thing in AMA & CMA events like flat tracking, dirt hill climbing , Scrambling (MX), Enduro, & Cross Country. YET often in hill climbing I would see older Americans wearing an O-L-D football leather helmet that would date back to the 30s!!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts