Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I've already formed a little bit of an opinion here but I am calling on the collective experience found here to help me decide.

The question is: Slightly used RC-51 or new 929? Something to take into consideration is that I know and ride with the guy on the RC-51. He owns the dealership and the bike has been meticulously maintained and properly broken in. It has 1400 miles on it. He is selling his used one to claim one of the new ones he has coming in. Why? I guess because he can. Anyway, he's giving me first dibs on his because I missed out on his last allocation of 51's. The other new one he is getting has already got a deposit down on it. He is asking 10,500 for the used RC and list ($9999) for teh new 929.

I'm looking for valid arguments here not just opinions based on what you chose. Give me some reasons you decided the way you did. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Well you ride a 1100xx right? What I would do if I were in your shoes is buy the 929rr. Why you ask? I would buy it because the weight of the RC51 as compared to the weight of your current ride is not drastically different. The weight of the 929rr as compared to your current machine IS drastically different. That is to say, lighter. I would keep your 1100xx for sport-touring and super high-sppeed if that's your style, and get the 929rr because it is an ultimate twisties-thrashing machine. That's my logic and my answers. Did I present my opinion in the manner you wanted? Hope I helped...:)

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's exactly the kind of response I'm looking for. I was just trying to avoid the responses like: "Get the 929!!! It rocks!!!" Because I already know it rocks. That doesn't help me.

Also, I will be selling the XX to do this. Money may grow on trees but mine is still a sapling.:D:p I was originally on a quest to turn the XX into a corner carver with good ergos by updating suspension, and losing weight. But the cost of doing that appear to be too high considering I can buy something like the 929 etc... for less than I would have had in the XX. I know the 929 isn't as comfortable as the XX but I haven't done the miles I thought I was going to do and I've heard from people that own the 929 that it's not all that uncomfortable. The only thing they complain about is monkey butt which happens on just about anything. I even have to stand up on the XX every once in a while. Besides, I'm young (26) so I don't find myself complaining about my back or knees or wrists.

P

·
0 Posts
James, how do the two bikes fit you? Also, do you have a preference between v-twins and inline fours? Just a couple questions you might want to consider.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If ergos aren't a concern of yours then I would give the nod to the RC... Anyone who has ridden an RC knows that the weights published in magazines etc. are jibberish and the bike carries it's weight well. It feels quite like a 929.

The v-twin is such a better street machine than an inline in my opinion. The sound, looks and the fact that not everyone has them is reason enough in my book.

From a performance standpoint, they are neck and neck. I don't think a stock 929 will get around a track any quicker than an RC. Plus the 929 isn't all that as far as looks go IMO.

A friend of mine has an RC and with 5300 or so miles it's every bit the bike it was when it was new, so considering yours would be essentially new I would jump at it. But then agian, what would a new RC cost?

I'm sure you will be happy with either. It just somes down to what you like, looks and engine configuration. I personally think v-twins are the nuts.

Ian

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Definitely consder Pete's question, and if you don't have an engine preference, I'd still go with the 929rr. I just think that in light of the fact that you've been on an 1100xx for awhile, the dry weight and raw power of the 929rr will please you to no end. The RC51 will have the low-end grunt obviously, but at 130+ rwhp, I'd say that the rush of the 929rr @12,000 will kick ass beyond belief.

Either bike you choose will give you immense pleasure I'm sure. I've had the chance to ride a 929rr and it was totally bitchin'. I have NOT logged any time AT ALL on the RC51 so my opinion here is purely based on reading and what not. It may feel lighter than it is. Either way you're gonna be thrilled with your ride. Keep us posted on your decisions, decisions...:D

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pete said:
James, how do the two bikes fit you? Also, do you have a preference between v-twins and inline fours? Just a couple questions you might want to consider.
A couple of good questions there, Pete. On the first, it's a little hard to say because I live in a small town so there aren't many opportunities to even sit on a bike like these much less ride them. There are currently no 929's in town and the only RC belongs to the owner of the dealership. I do ride with him and we are acquaintances if not friends but I haven't asked to swing a leg over it yet. At least on the road. I did sit on it at the dealership but it was on a stand so I was pitched forward quite a bit. Of course, now that he's getting a new one and he knows I'm interested it probably wouldn't be difficult to get a ride. Although now it's 29 degrees and only going to get worse for the next three or four months.:(:( We've already had snow!! :eek::eek:
I did sit on a 929 at a dealer in another town but the salesman wasn't comfortable supporting the bike so I could sit with both feet up. But from those limited experiences I think the fit nod would have to go to the 929 but just barely.

As for motor preference that one's as close as the presidential election. Before the XX I had a TL-R and loved the way it sounded. But I never did get used to the extra mechanical noises it made. I did only have it for three months though. I do have to say that the RC's motor may not be as smooth as a four but it definitely sounds tighter than the TL did. I think fours sound better when the throttle is WFO. And the fours are smoother while riding. Range is better on a four. Although, I did a 1200 mile trip with a friend on his Super Hawk which has the same dreadfull range as the RC and I don't remember it ever being an issue.

I could probably flip flop all day on this one. I was hoping someone in here would let me off the hook by enlightening me with an absolute gem of knowledge that no one else has ever thought of and would decided the issue conclusively.:D:D:rolleyes: But like so many other things it's going to come down to personal preference because both candidates are equally good. Right now I am leaning ever so slightly toward the 929. But once I get a chance to ride the RC it may speak to me. I think that is what it will come down to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
and I'm having the same issues with a decision on a 929 or R1... I'm almost scared to make a decision. I would have thought buying my second bike would be easier than the first but it isn't at all...

It's really a sad state of affairs when you have to make a decision on spending upwards of 10,000 dollars by just sitting on it for ten minutes and not even being able to do it with both feet up.

It's really rather irritating IMO. I am petrified of walking away in the spring with an R1 and immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have went for the 929 and vice versa.

Ian

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey Birdman, "Get the 929!!! It rocks!!!" Seriously, sounds like the 929 might suit you better-coming from the XX. I can't speak much about the RC-51--never rode one. They are probably more exclusive at this point; but who knows how many Honda will produce this year. They look pretty sweet--except for that stupid tach-what's up with that :rolleyes: . The handle bars seem a good deal lower on the 51, which would be enough to deter me. And that guy that wants to sell you his used bike for a mere $500 over MSRP--tell him to kiss your ass :mad: . Damn, I hate dealers that think they're sitting on a piece of gold with there new bikes. If I were you; I wouldn't buy anything from this guy. Seems like you said you're from a small town; that's probably the mentality of your dealer--"I'm the only game in town and I can do whatever I want." Prove him wrong and find another dealer.

Good luck with your decision--I know it can be tough. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with either bike--especially the 929 :D .

P

·
0 Posts
2000VFR said:
I am petrified of walking away in the spring with an R1 and immediately thinking I made the wrong decision and should have went for the 929 and vice versa.

Ian, IMO, the odds of the first scenario happening are very, very slim; the odds of the second scenario happening are even slimmer. There, does that help? :) Just picking on ya; I honestly think that any regrets you might have would happen with both of them, as in the ergos are too "raceresque", or you get addicted to wheelies, tireslides, and stoppies, or too many speeding tickets, that kinda stuff. ;)

·
Registered
468 Posts
There is only one answer to your question, but you will have to come up with it yourself. Here's how: Ride them both, and buy the one you like the best. They are both excellent motorcycles, and you can't really go wrong either way. ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Birdman,
Both bikes are very nice. IMO having owned a 916(its no
RC 51) and a 929 i would go w/ the rc. To me it comes down to geting a twin or a inline. And Most of my riding was in mts and in town so the twins powerband suited my needs better. The 929 was sweet, very flickable, light, turned easy, tons of power, etc. but the thing i liked most about my twin was having the power whenever i needed it. In the mts. and twisties is were i noticed the biggest diff. I think in addition to seeing which one fits you best you also have to decide what kind of riding you will be doing MOST of time. That should play a big role on which machine you take. You are buying HONDA however so you really CANT GO WRONG. ;) :p

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Of course I am partial to the RC-51 since it was my decision over the 929. I wanted the torque and sound of a twin.

The weight advantage of the 929 is not that great. The RC-51 carries its weight well. That's the bikes weight... leave my weight out of this. :rolleyes:

With about $750 the RC can have more horsepower than the stock 929. Just a statement for reference, not necessarily an advantage for purchasing.

Everything I've heard is that Honda has no plans of a significant increase in the number of RCs imported to the US so exclusivity should still be there. Exclusivity has its downfalls too. Aftermarket items aren't as readily available as the 929s and they usually come at a premium do to the limited market out there. It will get better in '01 though.

Do not let the fuel range of the RC be an issue. I don't know why anyone really gives a shit... your ass can't take much more than the 120-130 miles it allows. The bike sucks in town because of the tall first gear. The thing is a SPORTBIKE, not a sport-touring bike. If you currently plan to do any sport-touring like many do on the XX, then I would stay away from the RC.

Now that I'm done with that jibberish. Tell the guy, who wants $10500 for a used RC, to kiss your ass and don't buy a 929 for MSRP. :eek: You do not have to. You can get them for quite a bit less than MSRP. Also, back to the RC, alot of the BS about people paying big prices for the RCs is just that, BS. I have yet to meet another owner that payed more than MSRP+tax+title+tags. I haven't met them all but have met many from various parts of the Southeast and Midwest(Ohio). If you really want to pay over MSRP for an RC then buy mine for $12000, it's already safety wired. That's worth at least that much. :rolleyes:;)

If you like high revving fours then go for the 929. If you like torquey twins then get an RC. Go to another dealer though. ;)

If you would like any specific information on the RC then feel free to email me off-line. I will say that I love my RC-51 and am very glad that I bought it instead of the 929RR. :)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I don't see any safety wire though. :confused::rolleyes: They look really cool with safety wire. :D

It looks like a pretty neat machine although I'm not a big fan of flame graphics. The RC-51 looks good with any graphics of course. ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Four months ago I noticed two ads in the picture post advertising RC51s that had never had gas in the tank. Only $13000 and it could be yours. I guess they were still under the impression that the 51 was going to be a one year only collectors item or something. I bought a copy of the post this weekend and 1 ad was still running, but his price was down to $11000. I guess he hasn't been swamped with calls like he thought he would.

Back on the subject, I would really push for a test ride on the RC. And if you really like it, haggle over that price like an Egyptian Camel salesman. He's definetely got a lot of room to come down in price.

Later,
Eric

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info guys! I have no intention of giving him asking price on either of them. If he won't deal I'll go somewhere else, it's just that simple. I ride with him and we all get together at his house to watch videos and stuff but business is business. When it comes time to spend my hard earned money all that other stuff is out the window, I won't spend an extra $1000 because he's a nice guy. As far as sport touring goes, that is what I bought the XX for but I just haven't done the trips like I thought I would. Also, I just got hooked up with some people that did four track days last summer and are looking at doing at least six this next year. The Bird is great at what it does, but on the track it's heavy and soft. I also want to find a 650 Hawk, or SV650, etc... that I can thrash at the track. I really look forward to riding something like the RC at the track but when it comes to really expanding my personal limits I want something smaller and less expensive to crash. It's wierd contemplating doing something when you know that sooner or later you will crash.

·
Registered
137 Posts
RC vs 929

Hi James,

I own a xx, and recently had the chance to ride the 929 & RC back to back.

As most of the other people have said both bikes are great.

The things I took from my ride were:

The 929 is easier to ride, smooth power.

RC51 felt like a race bike, it had a growl and was quite twitchy, need better tech skills to ride it fast, if your looking for a challange.....

Ross
CBRxx

·
Registered
241 Posts
929 or RC51

I have an RC51 and have ridden the 929. I bought the RC51 because the V-twin power characteristics are perfect for the riding I do on the tight mountain roads of NC, TN & GA. I also chose the bike because it was designed to be a race bike. The RC51 also has a brick for a seat and very limited range (125miles). The problem with the RC51 is that Honda just gives you the starting point and it takes a fair amount of modification to get the bike in race shape. The 929 is a delight to ride. It is very light and nimble and has very good power characteristics. It is also comfortable enough and has decent range for sport touring. It also has plenty of performance to the point where it depends on rider ability if you compare with the R1 or any other bike. I believe that you might not be happy with the RC51 however I have never heard of anyone dissatisfied with their 929. Looks like Honda created a worthy successor to the legendary 900RR. (P.S. buy a steering damper for the 929, suggest Scotts rotary damper)

·
Registered
66 Posts
i hope you don't ride alot if your geting the rc51, its a great bike but not a everyday bike, if you ride alot i would go with the 929 its more comfy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts