Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

as you all know, my F4 was stolen last week. now i am in a dilemma deciding on my next bike. unforunately, my choices are several :) (cant you tell i am being greedy!!)

a/ i have never ridden a V-twin and am seriously looking at the **ahem**, dare i say it!! - RC51 !! i have heard people say that once you ride a twin you will love it and there is no turning back? is that true?
apparently, there is tons of low end power/torque on these guys. however, i was wondering how the RC fares on the twisties, given that it is approx. 470lbs wet. coming from an F4 (400lbs or so) what is the major differences that i should expect.

b/ initially i was not too fond of the 929 but after looking at it closer it has emmerged as a contender. it's got a great power/weight ratio and should be similar to the F4 in terms of ridability/comfort / reliability.

c/ finally i can just stick with the 600cc class and opt for the R6.... did i say Yamaha!! :) oops...i know .. i know... even though it IS a yamaha and thus i should be forewarned, yet the bike is unbeatable in several aspects! great performance and handling for fewer $$$.

so thats my small wish list at this point. i know that i have pretty much covered all the different classes thus making the decision very difficult. but i am sure that some of you might be able to help me out through your experiences.

the main question is what kinda riding am i doing? most of the time it is 200 miles or so of canyan crafting on the weekends plus some (very little) daily commuting during the week.

so start throwing information my way... everything will be appreciated and would make this decision alot easier.

p.s. i would REALLY appreciate views on V-twins and the RC-51 since both are fairly new to me...

-----------
arif
'99 F4 (stolen)

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
The RC 51 carries its weight well. It turns out that the RC 51 is putting out almost as much HP as the 929... only about 2-3 HP shy. The RC has more torque. :)

I love the 929 but I doubt that I will go back to an inline 4. Maybe a large bore V-4 if one is built with the Honda name on it. ;)

The RC is not likely to be faster than the 600 in the really tight stuff due to the added weight. I am talking hairpin turns. Anything more open than that and the RC will win. :) I am talking about in the same riders hands.

The YZF 600 my wife had was pretty fast in the tight stuff but I am faster on the RC than I was on the YZF. In the really tight stuff the R6 can run with about anything but so can the SV 650.

The RC will probably hold its value better but it will go down after the '01s come in. The R6s are a dime a dozen and every 19 year old with gullable(sp) parents has one. :rolleyes: Once you've had a twin you can never go back. :D :p

Now getting to my point. Buy the one you like because you can't go wrong with either bike you mentioned even the R6. :)

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
The RC is not really a good streetbike. If you've got the bucks ($11,300) look at an Aprilia Falco. To get an idea of Vtwin power delivery, test ride a VTR- the dealers have lots of them and therefore encourage demo rides. The handling is not as sharp as an F4, and the performance is about the same albeit with totally different delivery.
Personally I'd get the R6.

------------------
'98 Superhawk

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I must agree with Tristen. The RC is not what I would call a great street bike... unless you live as close to the Smokey Mountains as I do. :p :D

The RC is miserable as a commuter. :(

The Falco and the VTR are good V-twin power but not the kind of V-twin power I was referring to. ;) They are both excellent bikes but I would take the VTR for the much lesser price and it's a proven platform. :)

If you have plenty of money and want a V-twin, then the Aprilia RSV Mille it is the most beautiful thing out there once you ditch the stock can. That thing looks like a Polish cruise missile. :D :p

------------------
Ride Hard!

John

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey Arif,

For starters, sorry about the reason why you are in this dilemma <---If that is what you call this). Personally I would say the 929, if you were completely happy with your F4, 929 is the answer! I was always happy with my 600's but, I have driven my friends TL and it was fast, slightly uncomfortable, but a nice bike, but all around I love the 600's, Never too much, never too little. Be it commuting, whatever, however, when I got off my friends 929, ughhh! Test drivr one if you can, too me like an F4 with alot more power and hooliganism ability <---(if that is what u r into) with all the comfort and feel of the F4. Even the weight isn't much of a difference. But I am biased I already have a down payment and my F4 as a trade-in. By the way, how did you make out with the insurance thingie, did they pay with no problems, and did they give you street value, and did they give you money for the x-tras?

------------------

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have taken the 929 & RC51 for a spin, I would agree that the RC is not much of a round towner, it needs very good throttle control. Having said that, it is a weapon.

I took a corner in a 50kmph area @ 125kmh, without realising I was speeding, gave me quite a fright.

The 929 however, is a dream to ride.
It is smooth, light, fast.

Of the two, the 929 would be my choice if I was using it everyday, roundtown, rides etc.

If going hard and working on my style & tech, the RC would come out on top.

Ross cbrxx

------------------
He who dies with the most toys "wins"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Were it me, I'd go for the RC51. Having had a twin, I really don't want to go back to an inline! I loved the power delivery of the TL, but the suspension left a lot to be desired. I understand that the RC doesn't have this problem, and Honda has a reputation for doing it right. Then again, if you have the means, the Aprilia RSV Mille is gorgeous. I'm actually considering one myself.

------------------
Mojo
http://killersurf.com/mojo

"I always get screwed by the system. It's my job.
I'm the universe's bitch." - Drew Carey

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Which bike to get.....if that's not the $39.95 +SH&H question. I struggled with this one for months myself. First I wanted an F4--couldn't find a yellow one, then I was thinking R6-too many on the road already(+ it's a Yamaho), or how about that beautiful RC51 (don't get a big head Johnny)--couldn't justify paying $2500 over MSRP and handle bars look painfully low. Damn, was that a run on and on and on sentence--my old bag of an English teacher would be proud. Anyway, when all was said and done I got the next better thing to a yellow F4---and now you know the rest of the story.

------------------
Clark

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hey mojo,

How's it going???Hope you're feeling better...Your bike was it an s or an r????The r is TOTALLY different from the s, suspension wise...I ride my buddy's TLR all the time, and that thing handles like a dream...All I have to do is turn my head and the bike is fully leaned over...UNREAL!!I agre with you about the Mille!!!WHAT A KILLER BIKE!!!Great looking too!!!Jimmy G

------------------

1 - 9 of 9 Posts