Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone from this area thinking of going on the trip to Deals Gap?

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/index.html

I have never been there and it seems pretty incrediable. A little daunting, but what the hell, right?

If there was enough interest I would be willing to take a trip with some locals. I figure it is about a 6-7 hour drive. I have a 4Runner and we could chip in for a trailer to rent. I figure my bro would go so I could take 1 or 2 more.

Bob

·
Registered
236 Posts
oh baby!

I can grab a three bike trailer to borrow.

Ditto an SUV to pull it with... Me and my bro would LOVE to go.

There are about 11 weekends between now and Thanksgiving.

We should start voting on what works for who. Bob, you and I can proxy vote for our bros.

Good to start thinkin' about this.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allright, now we are cooking with gas.

I have consulted my great crystal ball and the only weekends that do not work for me are 28/29/30th of Sept and 9/10/11 of Nov. In Sept I am going to VIR in Alton, VA to see the final race of the 2000 AMA Superbike season. (More on that below).

Anyway, I was originally thinking of going on the 15 of Sept when half the frigging site seems to be going down. However, if we can get enough locals together we can roll ourselves. The only thing to be aware of is to deconflict our visit with any scheduled events.

At this point the only cager rally is on the 12/13th of Oct.

Now, as to the race. Anyone else going down? Weather permitting (and brother not having wrecked his bike for a 3rd time this summer) we are rolling on the bikes Friday morning. If you were thinking of getting a nearby hotel room.........GOOD LUCK! I think I got the last hotel room for 25 square miles. Anyway, we may be able to work out a floor space arrangement if anyone is desperate.

Get tics from the VIR website http://www.virclub.com/

If I get lots of response on this I will start a new thread.

Bob

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I posting in this thread again to move it to the top. Anyone think anymore about this? I would like to try to pin down a date soon if we are going to since I am now thinking of going to Keith Code's school at VIR on 10/2. Anyone else thinking of this? It is the on their bikes version. Check out http://www.superbikeschool.com/us/index.shtml for more info.

Bob

·
Registered
157 Posts
Hi Bob,

Sorry we missed you @ Rockville last night. Had to have been 80 bikes there.....

The school sounds fantantic but I'm supposed to be out of town so I'm a no for that one.

In an attempt to mirror you comments about moving the Deal Gap Weekend along let me throw out the date of OCTOBER 6,7.

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
let's do this

I am totally ready to do this. we gotta get it set up for sure. that weekend mike suggested is good for me. let's put this together so we can arrange for hotel's and what not.

later

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. That seems doable. That is a Katana weekend down there. I met a guy last night who just came back from there a week or two ago. He is ready to move down there he said it was so good. He said it is about an 8 hour drive. What would you guys think about leaving Thursday after work like 7-8'ish and driving thru? That would give us mos of the day Friday and Saturday and leave on Sunday.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Right now I am a 1, my bro is a tenative.

He did have a good idea though as we were talking about where to beg/borrow/steal a trailer.

What do you guys think about renting a big U-haul type truck and stuffing all the bikes in it and taking that and say 1 car down and back? We can all split the cost of the rental and gas. The bikes are protected and we could lock them all up at night and take any tools we might need.

Bob

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm still a maybe....I have to see if I can take off that Friday...and have to consult my girlfriend. Now if I can talk her into...maybe driving up also and bringing her friend along, they can sight see or what ever....

Mike, that guy in Rockville with the R1 and highmounted exhaust said that the town near by was "like a little Hollywood" right?
That will be a great selling point.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
....also we might be able to get someone form the southeast post to show us around or maybe tell us some spots to stay.....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Good idea on the Southeast post for info.

Checked mapquest. looks to be 600 miles one way.

Called Uhaul, A truck for 4 days and 69 cents a mile is going to run us about $ 900.

Mike

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Updating:

Tenative date: 10/4 (leave in evening) thru 10/9.

Participants:
Myself
Cliff and brother Todd
Kneeslider
Bracewater

Anyone else?

Anyone going to be in Rockville tomorrow (9/20)?

Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts