Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to fire up the F4 and it seems I have a dead battery. It hasn't been started for a week and the temperature had been into the teens at night (has been garaged, but still cold). Can I use regular jumper cables and jump it with my Civic or my truck?? Or should I invest in a battery tender?? And if I get the tender, will I need to remove the battery or can I charge it while it's still connected to the bike?? Any advice is needed since I need to change the oil and put it up for the winter. :( Thanks, Drew.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
don't jump it off the car, you can cause serious damage.

G

·
Drew said:
Went to fire up the F4 and it seems I have a dead battery. It hasn't been started for a week and the temperature had been into the teens at night (has been garaged, but still cold). Can I use regular jumper cables and jump it with my Civic or my truck?? Or should I invest in a battery tender?? And if I get the tender, will I need to remove the battery or can I charge it while it's still connected to the bike?? Any advice is needed since I need to change the oil and put it up for the winter. :( Thanks, Drew.

If the battery is 12V then you can hook it up to your civic... But dont start the civic! Keep it off ..I just want to say this is not recommended! And could cause serious damage to your car / bike. But i've done it with no problems yet ...
If you dont have a tender get one !!!! When your battery goes dead it's a good idea to fully charge it, Properly!!!

Why is your battery dead .. Get out there and POSE!!!!:D

[Edited by Squidwannabe on 11-03-2000 at 02:11 PM]

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squidwannabe said:
Drew said:
If the battery is 12V then you can hook it up to your civic... But dont start the civic! Keep it off ..I just want to say this is not recommended! And could cause serious damage to your car / bike. But i've done it with no problems yet ...
If you dont have a tender get one !!!! When your battery goes dead it's a good idea to fully charge it, Properly!!!

Why is your battery dead .. Get out there and POSE!!!!:D

[Edited by Squidwannabe on 11-03-2000 at 02:11 PM]
You say don't start the Civic?? Sorry, don't understand. This kinda pisses me off since it's only 7 months old. The bike that is. I guess I'll invest in the tender. And it's rather hard to pose when it's snowing and freezing ass cold.:( Utah sucks.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
the reason for not starting the car is to keep the volts down. seriously, jumping off a car is a bad idea.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Battery Life

Originally posted by cbrf2boy:" seriously, jumping off a car is a bad idea." I agree!!!!
Get a motorcycle specific charger!!!!Start the bike at least once a week and warm it up a good ten minutes.Otherwise pull the battery and winterize the bike and put it up for the winter.(Or): Check the battery levels are they OK??If not,top it off with distilled water,if u have it,then charge it.Are the connections clean and tight??Check these also.Is the battery clean??If not mix some baking soda and water,pour this strong mixture on the battery to clean it and neutralize the acid that forms on the battery,using an old toothbrush helps.Doing all this helped my original battery last 5 years.Hopefully your bikes' charging system is functioning ok??!!?? Remember: start the bike at least once a week through out the year otherwise,do pull the battery and put the bike up for the winter.

Jim

[Edited by katana600 on 11-04-2000 at 02:52 PM]

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yeah, and don't just let the bike idle for 10 minutes. That's not doing your battery or engine any good. Get the rev's up to recharge that battery. I made that mistake last year and almost killed it.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I've never had a problem in 30+ years with jumping any bike from any car. 12V's is 12V's. I have even jumped my car from a Gold Wing once when I had a low, but not stone dead, car battery. It is probably best not to start the car as previously mentioned because their charging systems can be a little on the powerful side but other than that I don't know where any harm can be done. The hardest part is getting standard size jumper cable clips onto the battery terminals but some ingenuity there will get the job done. Just be careful to have all of your rigging done on the low bike battery BEFORE to connect it to the good battery because a low battery emits excessive hydrogen gas and a spark in that vicinity has a chance of exploding the battery blowing acid everywhere. This is not peculiar to bikes but anytime that you are jumping any battery. Always complete the connection to the low battery before connecting to the good one.

[Edited by Dad on 11-05-2000 at 10:40 PM]

·
Registered
938 Posts
Drew said:
...Or should I invest in a battery tender?? And if I get the tender, will I need to remove the battery or can I charge it while it's still connected to the bike?? ...
Definitely invest in a battery tender. The battery tender comes with a quick disconnect that is wired to the battery terminals. It's a small plug that easily tucks out of sight when you are not charging. Plus, you can leave the battery in the bike with the tender attached for the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts