Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking up motorcycling books on Amazon.com and came across "Proficient Motorcycling." Here is one review:

David L. Hough's book "Proficient Motorcycling" showed me how little I really knew about the mechanical dynamics of a motorcycle. While I have been riding for a while, and am a safe rider, with Hough's book it has become a lot clearer about what a motorcycle is really doing as I ride. Hough covers, in detail, many topics of safe riding, but he also helps you understand the mechanical dynamics of the motorcycle, in depth. By knowing what the machine wants to do under normal conditions, and under what conditions the machine fails us, we can better ride within the the margins of the bike's design and conditions. No matter how proficient you think you are already, Hough's book will help you understand what the machine is designed to do, and not do, and how important the rider is to it's safe operation. With the book in hand, plan on reading a chapter and wanting to go for a ride just to relate Hough's points to real riding.

Has anyone read this book and is it worth $17?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've got it. I'd say it's worth it:thumb:

He goes into all different situations you may encounter when riding, and uses real-life situations and stories. Different road conditions, obstacles, ect.

And it's an easy book to read & follow. One of those books I just pick up once in a while as a reference, read a few pages.

If you even pick up one pointer that makes you ride that much safer, it's worth it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll get it from Amazon. It doesn't hurt to keep refreshed about other people's knowledge, especially if they are experienced.

·
Registered
423 Posts
It's a good book, very easy to read. It took me about one afternoon to plow through it.

If you are interested in a more high performance orientated book I'd highly reccomend "A Twist Of the Wrist II" by Keith Code.

Link

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read the reviews on Twist of the Wrist and it looks good. In off road riding straight aways require just as much technique (whoops, dropoffs, ruts, etc.). as turns. On pavement there is usually no problem since just about anyone can keep a bike going more or less in a straight line. It's the turns on pavement that separate the novices from the experts. After all my years of riding I admit I take turns better than a novice but not like an expert. I think I get this book also. Thanks. :thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts