Sportbike World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was at the car wash and latley i have been using castrol super clean to get the grease off my rims, I had a bit of autosol on the clutch cover of the engine and not thinking gave it a squirt with the super clean,,big mistake!! now there are big streaks going down like a bunch of oil spilt out. I tried using soap/water and a brush and some other cleaners and nothing. Does anyone know what might work to get it off?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dude that sucks.............the same thing happened to make last week.........i was psssst off!!!!

I used the same freakin cleaner.
SIMPLE GREEN WORKS BEST!!! :finger:

·
Registered
101 Posts
3M makes a general purpose adhesive remover, it can be found at any car parts store. I think its about the same as brake cleaner, just easier to apply. I useally use it on the sprocket, rotors and really grungy brake dust off the wheels. Just dont get it on the rubber as its a pain to get the discoloration off... but it does a GREAT job at getting off the greese and grime on any metal surface. avoid dripping on paint it will haze it. it will really dry out your hands also so try to keep exposure at a minuim. I just apply with paper towles and keep wiping with a clean spot. that SHOULD do the trick...Good luck!
~Melody

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Autosol?

Autosol is a company that makes (very good) car care products. Do you mean that? Or do you mean you spritzed some grease or oil?

If you cannot find that 3M product that Melody suggests (3M is top notch stuff!), you might try going to a hardware store and buying a quart of Toluene. It works well for removing adhesive material but should not remove any clear or paint surface coating. Use rubber or at least latex gloves, and no fair huffing the stuff!

Another possiblity would be to use Trisodium Phosphate in hot water. Buy it in the paint section of the hardware store. It will remove grease from anything. Only warning is: DO NOT LEAVE ON PAINTED SURFACE, REMOVE IMMEDIATELY. But you won't need to worry about fumes.

In the future, I suggest if you need a spritzing thing to remove the grease on your bike, use Turtle Wax (or comparable) bug and tar remover, as it is safe on all paint surfaces, but first try using soap and water or a spray detailing wax like Saeng's "Can Do", or even Fantastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts