Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I stopped in at the BMW dealer to see if they had the new K bike in. Well as I'm talking to the owner about a multi strada that was there from a trade in and I hear crunch. With out even looking I know what it was. I run out the front door and see my bike laying on the ground. I was hot..... The owner helps me pick it up and We look it over. Tank dented, blinker smashed, clutch lever bent,Mirrior,hand grip and fairings top and middle all scrathed up.
I'm fully insured so all I'll have is the $250 deductable to worry about but what the heck. I live in Wisconsin and It hasn't even been that hot so I don't know why it sank in so fast. I have noticed that when it is hot the small kick stand sinks in almost right away normally i carry a small piece of stainless steel but I must have missplaced it.
Has any one else had this problem with Ducatis? Is there a aftermarket kick stand with a wider base?
Well I just wanted to vent thanks for listening.........
:crying: :(

·
Registered
251 Posts
i live in AZ it gets like 115 out and im sure the streets are way past that and i have never ever heard of that! you got me scared now though...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's easy to forget about the soft pavement problem. Having your bike fall over is not actually a common thing around here, but it does happen. :(

I keep a small plate in the bike or my jacket. I have one of those spring like key chains attached to the plate, then the free end goes on the grip when I park it.

I'll also park close to a curb so kick stand is on cement or in the shade if possible. Parking with the front pointed up hill chocked against the curb, will take some of the pressure off the "prop" also.

And... There's the ole flat rock or crushed can trick. :)

·
S370HSSV 0773H
7,437 Posts
Re: Kickstand pad

BCebrian said:
Learned the hard way a long time ago aboutt the same problem. My SBK kickstand has a pretty broad base but I carry a pad in my pocket just incase. I got this one free from a Ducati event in Richmond, Va.

http://kickstandpad.com/index.php
I'm cheap, I just use a piece of plywood or a crushed soda can. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
That is one problem with most bikes nowadays. They only come with a side kickstand, where as in years past a side kickstand and a center kick stand were standard. My kat is one of the few bikes left that has a center stand and side stand. I always engage the center stand so I don't have this problem. I can't imagine lifting 500 lbs of bikes off the ground if it ever fell.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Damn bro, I'm sorry to hear that.
In my expirience a bike has to be parked on something fairly shady for this to happen in the first place, perhaps the kickstand was set in a crack, or maybe on abit of grass or something like that.

Crashed soda cans work, and frame sliders do too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts