Sportbike World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying not to laugh at myself while posting this. Well here it goes. I have read plenty of other threads in the past regarding brake locks, and i should have listened to other people experience. I went out with some friends the other night. We were in an area i didnt know very well and planning on leaving our bikes there for a couple hours. So i bust out the trusty brake lock that i never use, everyone arrives and we decide to leave ( I forget about the brake lock ). About a foot of travel and BAMM my bikes is on the ground. This was very upsetting because it was the first time I have droppped my bike! So this is where I listen to other peoples advice, either use the brake lock evrytime you get off your bike or never use it at all!!!! I amm gonna vote for never use it,...................

Not much damage to the bike. The engine case was scratched a little along with the left blinker,.......no damage to the plastics YaY!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dayuum...

Dude, I'm sorry to hear about your bike. This is my third time reading a post about those dayuum brake locks. That's the reason why I refuse to put them on my bike. I know I'll have a couple brain farts (especially in the morning) and it will by costly.

Brat

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I broke a caliper bracket by doing that. :eek:

I made a little clip to use with my brake lock. I made it out of a small binder clip with a ring attached. When I installed the lock I would put the clip on the starter switch to remind me that the lock was installed. No more problems. :)

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Have owned one of those brake locks ---

--- since 1999 & never used it. Not even tried it. So money down the drain!!!!!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Sorry about the bike - that stinks.

When I take my lock out of its little bag, I drop my keys in the bag. That way I can't start my bike without seeing the lock's case. It's worked so far.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Have owned one of those brake locks ---

Smitty said:
--- since 1999 & never used it. Not even tried it. So money down the drain!!!!!
PERHAPS:

you have in fact saved money by not joining the crew of unfortunates ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
I sold my FZR with a broken front fender.
The day after I got my bike I pulled away forgetting about the U lock i put on the night before...
I was pissed to say the least

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think brake locks were created by motorcycle companies to GUARANTEE an increase of parts sales. Seems like everyone forgets them and ends up with their bike on the pavement and spending as much or more in parts than just paying the deductible for a stolen ride.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I bought one of those yellow reminder cables and always use it. the cable also comes in handy if I need to lock up helmet or jacket. when I need to take tank bag, helmet, and jacket someplace and leave them, the cable has loops on both ends so I string it through helmet, jacket sleave, and tank bag handle, lock all this to something. Like at a picnic to a table.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ronin369 said:
I bought one of those yellow reminder cables and always use it. the cable also comes in handy if I need to lock up helmet or jacket. when I need to take tank bag, helmet, and jacket someplace and leave them, the cable has loops on both ends so I string it through helmet, jacket sleave, and tank bag handle, lock all this to something. Like at a picnic to a table.
I am stupid. I have seen thoose cables, and they are only like $5. For some reason i didnt pick one up. Oh well, you live and your learn,..............

I am just glad that my learning experience didnt cost me anything more then a slightly exbarrassing moment!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts