1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
I've always wondered if these kinds of things won't actually cause more tumbling and thus increase the likelihood of breaking a limb's bone. Time will tell I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Why do you say that? looks to me like it would have little effect on tumbling. As far as the activation, does it work via a tether, or what?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
Seems to me that a fault like that one would result in little injury with just a set of leathers. And it would do little to protect the rider from something like hitting a car. I think the honda airbag works much better for that.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Having pranged a lot, especially in competitions, I knew the first to hit, most often, was my hip as you see this demonstration also show.

Once I had broken my left hip by coming off the roof of my home to challenge the concrete of the driveway only to find out the hip broke. THAT told me there is a good chance I will do it again in practicing or competiting in comp events.

The sheer love of m/cing I decided to stick to the streets, for less chance of numerous prangs, to you see often in practing or racing a rider will come off one to several times they practice or compete while not to many in street riding come off.

I came off in '05 (five yrs later) of said broken hip & tested out the right hip, though nothing broke yet four yrs later in walking around the corner to the front of the Post Office I actually knocked myself out & broke my right hip due to slipping on black ice. Tends to make one wonder about human nature.

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
While I am a m/c rider I am not stupied enough to be counting on something happening like that teener sitting on some explosive. Fact is even when in competition or in practicing for comp., I was not aiming to prang. Like most of your pavement riders, as I am not, one is not aiming at having a stupid accident----one of the reasons we do not do stupid things & keep our eyes on the crazies driving cages.

Like each time I have clocked ANOTHER year without having a prang or being taken down by some dim-wit with a cage. Which I am thankfull for believe me.

·
Registered
452 Posts
or how about . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:project_Grizzly_%28film%29.jpg
---OR
that ice jacket from James Bond, the zorb like thing
=====Im kinda ripping in the invention sarcastically with the 'other options'

Yea I dont think that invention is going to far, I dont even think the inventor rides bikes. I mean when you fall; the fall is what, like 4ish feet. I think anyone can handle a 4 foot fall, so the inventor (i hypothesize) does not ride. The rest of the injury is momentum, sliding in the road surface. Like smitty mentioned, there is also hip impact, what about that Sir inventor?:huh:
PLUS- when you see GP riders fall, they dont roll if they could help it. They rather skid along in a controlled fashon, shifting weight here and there so that the leathers dont eat through to their skin.
~~2 Thumbs down~~(speaking of thumbs down, where's a little animation thingy?)

snakesht, my guess is . . . maybe its like a tread mill, you know when you fall off that cord attached to you disengages and turns off the treadmill

Vash, what honda airbag?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/08/video-honda-gold-wing-airbag-in-action/

This honda airbag. The idea has its limitations, namely being
1. It does nothing for the no.1 cause of crashes, failure to negotiate a turn. The classic newbie stab on the rear brake mid corner crash
2. It does work for the no. 2 cause of crashes, driver turning left in front of a motorcycle. But that it all its good for.
3. It adds a shit load of weight to the bike.

Ok, here is a very difficult to implement idea for safety developers. Make the suit from two layers of material, with a layer of ferromagnetic fluid between them. Place a capacitor pack somewhere that would discharge into the fluid during a dismount. Hey, I did say it would be difficult to implement.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
When you prang a bike, things happen so fast, like you cannot even recall what started it all OR you can, to you might be rolling, but then possibly not & actually skidding, to sometimes seeing he bike coming at your, to concussion & you cannot remember a darn thing. Fact is in the latter you sometimes do not know where you are, or you name it YET again you might recall a great deal of pain to actually you did not notice you had broken or toren a part till later on.

Like when I came down this gully I was aiming at doing a bunny hop over this fallen tree (which is no chore with an Observed Trials bike even if everything is downhill), around 3-4' tall only realized error as the hop was not high or long enough to clear the r/wheel from the fallen tree & noted all the rocks I was headed into---terrible pain & thinking I had broken my neck.

Something snapped & the pain eased off believed broken neck. Got up looking for the bike & note a big fresh circle around the place I had just got up from. Seems I had dislocated my left shoulder & done some damage to the neck muscles----my mind had put the body & feet the feet into action to push the body around till the shoulder dislocation snapped back into place.

The bike needed nothing done to it bar correcting the clutch & front brake levers so I could ride home & did not try any tough sections after that one or that day going home.

Went to work the next day on my Yamaha FZ-750 & not till I went to pick up a wooden plank with right hand, did I realize I had, again, broken my left thumb. So you see, prangs can be so darn different.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts