Sportbike World banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend literally cut off his exhaust on his Busa. He cut both silencers and some of the pipe off and welded up a flange for both sides of the exhaust to exit under the right rearset. I argued with him for almost an hour that it is not good for the bike. He insists that lots of people with Busa's do it. I tend to disagree and I would think that he is at a high risk of burning some exhaust valves. The bike is incredibly loud. Probobally the loudest bike I have ever been around. I can't even ride next to him, and the sound isn't even a nice one. I can't imagine why someone would want to do this. Can anyone give me some feedback on this? I would like to show him what others think about the idea of this. I just don't want him to destroy his fairly new bike.

·
Registered
980 Posts
The exaust provides back pressure to the cylinders. When you modify the exaust you mess up the back pressure, thus messing up the intake/exaust process which can mess with performance. I believe that is why most people with aftermarket exaust have the the ECU remapped or get a Power Commander with a special map made for the exaust. However im definatly not a mechanic this is just my best assumption based on readings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
slick1537 said:
The exaust provides back pressure to the cylinders. When you modify the exaust you mess up the back pressure, thus messing up the intake/exaust process which can mess with performance. I believe that is why most people with aftermarket exaust have the the ECU remapped or get a Power Commander with a special map made for the exaust. However im definatly not a mechanic this is just my best assumption based on readings.
Seems like pretty good assumptions.

I would hate to have a really loud street bike. For several reasons. In fact, I short-shift a lot so I don't disturb people living close by. Motorcycles have enough "image" problems.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
AND to think HD is suggesting that riders start to "pipe down" the exhaust note of their personal bikes. Though some of us, with far more riding experience then other, are still riding with STOCK exhaust systems.

I have never heard of anyone butchering the exhaust system of their Busa like this fool has done. Still the longer you are in the sport/hobby of m/cing the more idiots you tend to bump into or hear about.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
clutchslip said:
Seems like pretty good assumptions.

I would hate to have a really loud street bike. For several reasons. In fact, I short-shift a lot so I don't disturb people living close by. Motorcycles have enough "image" problems.
I almost always short shift, unless I'm on the highway or doing a decent take off. Ofcorse I live in a retirement comunity so they complain enough about me as is. I feel sorry for you steve not your friend. Its his fault if he ruins the bike but you have to console him and try not to laugh your ass off and say I told you so:twofinger Your also stuck riding next to him. I cant stand riding next to HDs I would hate to be by him.

Sepias

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Slick1537 is absolutely correct how wholesale changes in the exhaust system (especially just hacking it off...) create significant changes to the important backpressure reaching the engine. Even if it didn't negatively impact the operation of the powerplant, it would just be incredibly uncomfortable riding that beast with all that annoying racket blasting one's ears. I'm talking to the point of causing permanent hearing damage. Take a look at some of the various earplug threads for background information.

Count me in as another rider who attempts to make as minimal a footprint out on the road as possible. I ride courteously and quietly, yet declare my space with proper lane positioning. We are all ambassadors for the sport, so all it takes is a few knuckleheads with incredibly obnoxious bikes and/or riding habits to undo our good efforts.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
straight pipes are, when at full throttle, can reach 140 dB. My friends ninja 600 makes about 130-140 dB with his 4" straight pipe. People can hear him a mile away and it sounds not that bad. He has a full muzzy system and says he can notice a significant power loss with the straight pipe on.

Also, back pressure is important to the valves as it provides pressure for the valves to close on time. If you don't have then engine mapped correctly for the difference of exhaust flow, you could be seeping in exhaust gases back into the engine chamber and cause a reduction of power. But this is my understanding as I'm not an engineer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
JBaz said:

Also, back pressure is important to the valves as it provides pressure for the valves to close on time. If you don't have then engine mapped correctly for the difference of exhaust flow, you could be seeping in exhaust gases back into the engine chamber and cause a reduction of power. But this is my understanding as I'm not an engineer.

Yes its true. With a reduction in back pressure you have more air drawn into the combustion chamber then normal. This basically results in a lean burning effect as which we all know is damaging to an engine and thus the result of burned valves. As the fuel/air mixture becomes leaner, the resultant combustion will produce progressively less and less of the force needed to produce torque. Which is why people sometimes equate back pressure with torque.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am a mechanic so I definately know that burnt valves could be the result of an open pipe. I told him that he at least needs a power commander to make is somewhat work properly. He says the bike runs smooth without the powercommander but I think he's full of it. I noticed that My bike even ran rougher with a D&D pipe eventhough I have a power commander because of it's straight through design and reduction in backpressure. Therefore a hacked exhaust couldn't possibly be any good for the engine. When he gets on it real hard then decelerates you can see some blue flames come out of the pipe. He told me that there could be no negative effects from doing what he has done. I can't wait until he blows up the engine and his fairly new hayabusa is junk yard material. I can tell you one thing, I wouldn't want to be the one on the bike at 12K+ RPM's when the combustion temp goes so high that it melts the top of the piston and then seizes the motor and then results in a rod being thrown through the crankcase into the side of my leg :) I guess time will tell, he will be crying when he has a useless bike:crying:

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Its gotta sound down right nasty. I pulled off my slip on to clean it and decided to see what my bike sounded like. It was loud and sounded like crap. I put it right back on. Have fun with the "I told you so"s

Sepias

P.S. send picks of the bike when the engine blows. I want to see the shaft through the side of the bike. It would make a nice poster. Take a before and an after. This is your busa... This is your busa in the hands of an idiot.:D

·
Registered
310 Posts
Doesn't anyone have police where they ride? They have calibrated db meters or can get one real fast. The cops here will pull over anything with straight pipes or just sounds loud. I know my neighbors would turn me in if I were running anything close to an un-muffled bike. I often wonder how the bikes on American Chopper get registered, which I personally think are rolling hemroids, handling wise.

·
Registered
462 Posts
wheelie_steve said:
When he gets on it real hard then decelerates you can see some blue flames come out of the pipe.
What he's doing sounds pretty stupid, and like everyone's saying, will probably end up with a dead engine much sooner than normal. Although, the blue flames thing sounds bitchin'! Get some video footage of that :p. It's kinda like the situation with a squid: You know he and his bike are doomed, and no matter how hard you try, you can't talk him out of it. But untill then, enjoy the spectacle. :thumb:

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
holy myth jungle batman! the exhaust valves wont close in time?

Alright, backpressure. At full throttle, top rpm run, its the enemy. His bike may show a few ponnies up top, or will once its retuned. However for transients back pressure is necessary (sp?).

The valves are timed to overlap. That is, the intake valve opens during the exhaust phase, and both vavles stay open at the same time. This is done for high rpm, when the air has so much velocity it has no choice but to go the right way. At lower rpm, the air can get in the intake and come out of the exhaust without staying in the cylinder, which is what the back pressure keeps it from doing.
I'm going to guess his bike has much less midrange, no low end what so ever, and bogs down if you go to WOT at low revs.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will try and get some video of the flames. The open pipe really doesn't sound nice at all. Way too loud and raspy. It is only a matter of time before the engine starts to act up. I told him that there is a reason why full motorcycle exhausts cost $1200. I said "Think about it, If a cut-off exhaust was really good sounding and good for the engine don't you think people would just cut off their exhausts instead of spending the money for a full system".

·
Registered
892 Posts
he'll spend the money on new pipes when hess going 14k rpm and his ears start bleeding...lol

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Back in the late 40s so many rode around with the can removed. So in a discussion at out shop, & since our head bechanic was such a good tuner. We got the okay from the RCMP to use a pretty vacent piece of an old hwy though still used by farmers, of where we had our club, customers & anyone else up for a demonstration.

As singles were popular we picked a Matchless 500cc single. ran a one mile stretch both ways & times were recorded.

Then the bike with can removed & all felt it was so much louder faster due to the noise. Of all things it was quite a bit slower. A few felt I was slacking off along that one mile run so the did the same only their times were even slower for with my comp expereince I was faster upon the signal.

Most knew Curly was great at putting on staight pipes for my dirt comp bikes & he had measured a specail pipe, & set-up another carb which was easier then change in slide, needle, jets & such. Ran it in such a form with said staight pipe & just a few seconds faster then stock exhaust system.

That pretty well had the rest going back to stock exhaust systems again & those buying new bikes did NOT take off the cans or try to put on their own straight pipes.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have another friend that is big into car audio. Next time we all meet I am going to try and use his decibel meter to get a # on how loud the hayabusa exhaust is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts