Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to school last night when a suicidal mockingbird divebombed my front wheel! He just came out of nowhere and was so close I think I hit his tail. I've also encountered this deathwish in squirrels. Another time I had a duck fly within a foot of my head. Still another mornings ride found a dog guarding the apex of one of my favorite corners(missed him but it was close). Has anyone else had close calls with animals or am I just a critter magnet?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought a bike from a guy who had lightly crashed it. It was one of those kool kawasaki 750 twins. Anyway, the story was that he was blasting along and a dog ran out in front of him. He hit the dog, which caused to pooch to eject a huge dump that splattered all over this guy's visor and caused him to crash. ewwww.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a small contribution to the conversation but my REAL reason for writing was to say that Lord Tim is totally sweet and if you don't think so, better watch out or he will flip out and cut all your heads off! Ninja's rule...

http://www.realultimatepower.net/

Anyway, I haven't hit any critters on the moto yet but I have hit a slough of different things in my old bicycle racing days. T-boned a dog once and ripped my front wheel off. That sucked. Others have tried to bite my bike and sent reeling off into the under brush. Squirrels might not be as dangerous to a moto but to an 18 lb bicycle they make quite an impact.

-Kemosabe

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Would suggest you do not try out a deer---

----- for they really do mess up a bike & the rider.
Dogs are also a bummer & can take you down fast, as you automatically try to avoid them & so comes the crash.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Since I have been riding (more years than I want to say), I have had the following encounters:

Hits:

1 dog, medium sized, reduced to somewhat smaller (or at least much less active) after the collision. This resulted in one thoroughly totalled Yamaha RD400.
1 large Bluejay...it collided squarely with the center of my chest while I was travelling at about 70 mph, removing all ability to breathe (in me, the bird was pretty well toast too, though). Did not crash, but I don't know how I kept from it.
1 Rabbit, medium sized, cottontail...did not crash, but resulted in a fairly exciting ride for a few seconds.
2 Cats (within 2 weeks of each other in the same stretch of road)...small to medium in size...did not kill either because I did not hit them squarely, just sent them sliding in a sort of rotating fashion across the road, legs outstretched...no crashes.
1 VERY large, VERY fat Easern Diamondback rattlesnake..I didn't crash and I didn't kill him but man, was he pissed.

Near misses:

2 Deer...one large buck and one doe. Those things are FAST.
1 Cow...this animal gave me a very dirty look, even though I missed her. They can be quite sarcastic.
Numerous other dogs, cats and squirrels.
1 large box turtle...he was right in my line at the apex of high speed corner...I just barely missed him.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Squirrels definately have a deathwish, and I don't move for them either! :twofinger

2 dead ones to date, one close encounter with one of them florida turtles that are endangered that love to cross busy streets. Do note, you'd be better off financially wrecking the bike avoiding one then not wrecking and hitting it and having the police see it. :eek:

Not as bad as one of my buds... he hit some wet leaves a few weeks ago, went offroad and it a tree. He broke the tree, and when the police arrived, they gave him a ticket for $5000 for damaging the tree, because it was some kind of historical significance :rolleyes:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Pigeon @ 100+ mph. Thought I was dead & the only thing that saved me from crashing was it was on a straight section & I saw it a split second before it hit me & I braced for the hit. It was with another bird on the side of the road & tried to fly away after it's buddy. As it passed in front of me it came up over my windshield, kinda glancing off it before it hit me. For such a small, soft little bird it left a large bruise right above my sternum & knocked the wind out of me. I was wearing a heavy leather jacket with a sweater underneath.
I hate pigeons:mad:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I'm not alone after all! One would think that it would be damn near impossible to hit a bird, but they seem to be well represented. Another interesting incident I had with a bird was an Osprey. He had been fishing in a nearby lake with much success. He flew about 5 or 6 feet directly above me. This was close enough to see the Bluegill wriggling in his talons! Cool! I remember thinking...I hope he don't drop that fish in my lap.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Took a crow dead center of the chest and nearly crashed.

Nearly got a skunk last year, missed the bugger by inches. Let me tell you, THAT will make you pick up the seat cushion with the 'ol sphincter :D

We have a herd of nearly tame deer in the neighborhood and I've nearly clipped one of them. Now I stay very cool and keep it slow in their turf.

·
Registered
110 Posts
suicidal deer

Interesting thread considering a riding buddy of mine was T-boned by a deer last Saturday. He was running about 70 mph when the creature launched itself from the woods into the side of his just broken in GSX-R 750. Now it's really broken in, as well as his collar bone.

The deer in this area seem to have a death wish. If you dont see them they will blind side you, and if you do see them, they will try to fake you out and dart back across in front of you. Also, it's no fun rounding a fast sweeper on the BRP and finding yourself in the middle of a flock of wild turkeys!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
627 Posts
BanditBoy said:
Another interesting incident I had with a bird was an Osprey. .......close enough to see the Bluegill wriggling in his talons! Cool! I remember thinking...I hope he don't drop that fish in my lap.
Now there would have been a "fish story" I would have loved to tell. You know how fishermen tend to exaggerate;) ... & I can already hear the part were his says..... "I caught a 15lb bluegill using the shiny reflection off my Bandit's mirrors :D but he got away when this Osprey the size of a pterodactylus swooped in & stole it right out of my hand" .... Damnedest thing you've ever seen:p

·
Registered
165 Posts
Pepe le puke!!

One time years back on my 1st bike (Harley FXDWG) I greased a skunk at 80 MPH. A little thud and brief headshake that's all. The bike stunk pretty bad for a while.

Looking back on the troubles I had with that machine, I realized I may have ignored a revelation from God that the bike I had STUNK!! (mechanically):D

Put your own safety first, but try to spare the not so bright rodents whenever possible:cool:

Later All:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
And the score is...Blur 4, Critters 0

So far:
1. 'Possum-old 750 Honda with one of those EZ Rider front ends eveyone used to run (hey, they didn't make sportbikes back then). Wuz cruzin' at 80mph at night with only one hand on the bars, when the sucker ran in front of me. Musta nailed him dead center, since I got a big whump as I went over him, with nary a headshake. Didn't have time to get my other hand on the bars, but I was tryin'! NOTE TO SELF: keep both hands on the bars!
2. Guinea-on an '85 600 Ninja. Damn things will put a head fake on ya that would do Micheal Jordon proud! I swear I saw the windshield buckle when he hit, but no damage. 'Course, my buddy on his GSXR 750 came screamin' by me and he also nailed him, ripping off his mirror (said he saw my brake lights come on and thought I wanted him to lead for a while).
3. Rabbit-on the Concours. Wuz at the end of a group of riders when a rabbit hit the edge of the road at full steam. Tightened up on the bars for the initial hit (you're mine, sucker!), and darn if he didn't stop on a dime. Fellow behind me said he stopped, then tried to jump back, and I hooked him with one of my lower wind wings. Ripped it off, and broke the middle fairing ($250)
4. Mid-size dog-on the Concours. At night, damp dual lane highway, eyeballing a car in the median to make sure he wasn't going to turn in front of me. Right when I got to him, a dog stepped out from his left side, right into me. Couldn't see the dog until he stepped out, as he was hidden by the car, and the car's lights shining across the road kinda hid everything out of their beam. Grabbed a handful of brake, the front end tucked (damp road, I guess), snatched it back and overcorrected, front end tucked the other way, snatched it back and released the brake as I was on him. Didn't want to hit him with the brakes on, and apparently slowed enough that he almost got by me, but I nailed him in the hind quarter. Saw him outta the corner of my eye doing 'bout 60rpm as I went past. Didn't go down, but it knocked both feet off the pegs, and the folks in the car got a good show, as it all happened right in their headlights!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have hit a squirrel, nothing else. Birds, close but haven't hit any yet - from what I read here, don't want to either.

Other wild animals have run across the road in front of me, but none were exceedingly close shaves: deer, wild turkeys, coyote. Also a wild boar, rounded a turn and there he was, mighty quick on those stumpy legs and he was gone before I was upon him.

Also diamondback rattlers - had one bite me in my yard a couple of months ago but haven' t had the urge to take revenge upon them with my bike, though I've had chances.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hit a small deer last year.. that sucked :finger:

Also have had close calls with groundhogs, a bald eagle, crows, lots of different birds and a few dogs.

The more I think about it the more I love the track :thumb:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts