Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience or know where to read about any of the superbikes (busa, zx-12 etc) at extreamly high speeds? Like over 200mph? :eek: Just wondering which bike has the best aerodynamics/stability at high speeds. I have this crazy dream of going over 200mph someday and am wondering what bike is going to be the best for it.

Of course It'll probably never happen but it makes for good discussion right? And of course I still need to get a few more years of experience under my belt before I even dream of buying a bike like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
top speed

I've read mixed reviews between the Hayabusa and Kawasaki 12r. To my knowledge the Hayabusa is the fastest high speed machine, but alot of kawasaki owners thing different.

Fastest ive been is 155mph

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Unless I am wrong or things have changed from last yr I think all said bikes can do around 179mph.
Believe Germany put it out to the m/c makers to make that their max speed was no higher then 179MPH (possibly it was 197), otherwise they would do it from their end. Seems the Big Four in Japan stuck to said max speed.

·
Registered
164 Posts
They limited them to 300 kph/186 mph. The latest mag I saw put the 12R at 186 and the Busa at "only" 184 mph. I also saw a mag that put the Busa as a speed record holder at 221 mph I believe it was in some type of class, not sure what though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw a video of a guy in the red at 220 on a busa. I would luv to say i've been that fast but i'd prolly sh*t my pants....

·
Registered
492 Posts
krsteen said:
Does anyone have experience or know where to read about any of the superbikes (busa, zx-12 etc) at extreamly high speeds? Like over 200mph? :eek: Just wondering which bike has the best aerodynamics/stability at high speeds. I have this crazy dream of going over 200mph someday and am wondering what bike is going to be the best for it.

Of course It'll probably never happen but it makes for good discussion right? And of course I still need to get a few more years of experience under my belt before I even dream of buying a bike like that.
Check out the new issue of Sportrider. They put a turbo on a Busa, changed gearing and got 203mph on Honda's test circuit. The bike was left stock except for those 2 changes. Add about 4 grand or so to the price of a Busa and you'll get to 200mph. If I remember correctly, the bike was dynoed at 200hp.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I saw a program awhile back about bike aerodynamics. The Busa is BY FAR the most aerodynamic.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
cmd954 said:
I think the air force makes some good ones, try the F-18 ;]

F-18 is NAVY but nice try.:twofinger

BOT, i'd go with the busa for the bigger screen and body work (at least it seems bigger). Better protection at speed from the serious wind.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The endless asinine quarrel

Here it is in black & White:

http://www.qsl.net/n5mya/testdata.html

UNRESTRICTED the Busa is faster 4-7mph depending on conditions. Kawi fans say, "The 12 wasted the Busa in the Mach 3 video!" Yeah! Do they tell you that they modified the Busa's gear box in hoping to increase top end, but since they didn't know what the hell they were doing they actually hurt the bike.

It's really a matter of preference. Both bikes can't be used to full speed on 98% of US roads. And unless the you go all the way tp the top, the 12R is pretty much just as fast and probably a better handler. The Busa is a smooooooooth machine, reliable and so stable I made it a regular practice to stand on the seat at 130-140mph and the bike held a line like a laser!!
:eek:

Personally I'd choose "The Big Bus"...But to each their own, the 12 is also a devastating machine.

Be Safe:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
apexismaximus said:

F-18 is NAVY but nice try.:twofinger
Don't forget the Jarines fly 'em too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
krsteen

Depend's on your size Darling, If your a tall girl then the big bore Kawi will take anything. If your short, Then ya may want to go with a busa, Lowered, I can't tell ya how the busa feel's on a highspeed run, But the Kawi feel's at home when you stretch her leg's. Very stable on the Zed X 12R. And yes the ZX12R waxed the Busa on Mach 3. And the Kawi looked good doing it. :D

·
Registered
199 Posts
Buy Brit mags

It seems to me, that accross the pond, they are more into building the 200+mph bikes than here. If you go to a Borders Books or Barnes & Noble, they stock Euro mags (about $7.50 apiece:eek: ) Try Performace Bikes and Fast Bikes or SuperBike Mags. I am constantly seeing mods to Busas and ZX-12's in those mags. There are lots of ideas and ways to make it to the 200+ club. Everything from NOS to special "black boxes"

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Not a girl dammit.

ZX12ROutLaw

Well I just have a f*cked up name anyway. Not the first time this happened to me but just so you know your talking to a guy with the misfortune of being named Chris Steen. And yes I did get a lot of shit in school about it. :finger: And to make it even worse when I was a lttle kid in first grade I started spelling my name Kris because it was a letter shorter. Trying to change back to Chris now but I often slip up and use the K anyway...

But aside from that it's looking like the Busa would probably be my choice at this point since it has better Aerodynamics. I'll get one and slap a turbo kit on it a few years from now. :)

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hayabusa has the best aerodymanics for top speed runs. You'll require less horsepower (and thus less money) to break 200 mph than a ZX-12. The Busa is scary stable at 150+...like a cruise down main street.

BTW, your weight and bike weight have little to do with top speed...it has to do with acceleration. F=ma of course.

Go to http://www.suzukihayabusa.org Many members there have 300+ hp Busas. Crazy as shit...but they got 'em.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Cycle World ran a road test of the CBR1100XX, the Busa, and the Ninja. It was a very well done article IMHO. The riders (all 3 of em) didn't like the windscreen on the Busa saying it hid the instruments too much.

The Performance was pretty spectacular on all the bikes. The Honda was the slowest with a top end of 176 mph if you want to call that slow! The top end king was the Ninja that did a true 186 mph. The Busa did the top end thing at 184. Apples and oranges in my book. The Busa's supposed to have more severe top end limiting than the Ninja. And it shows too. When you put the bikes into an acceleration contest there's no comparison to the Busa. It did the quarter in an astounding 9.44 at 144 mph I believe, the Ninja was next at 9.80 around 140 mph and the Honda did it in 10.37 @ 137 mph. Not shabby at all for street tires, stock exhaust roll'em off the street onto the track! There ain't many street cars that can do that. And if they can I'd love to see them drive down 217 in Beaverton Oregon on an August afternoon at 95 degrees in rush hour traffic. I get real tired of reading about these so-called 9 second street machines. Not so with the scooters as they really will do it.
I really think that the Honda has the best Aero of all the bikes however. Seems that I read something in a magazine somewhere that Honda has spent more time in the windtunnels with their machines than anyone else. Makes sense when you consider how much racing they do. My XX handles better at 100 mph than it does at 60!
I looked at a new Ninja (don't know what the big one is called 12R?). It sure was a great looking bike, but I didn't think it was finished off as nicely as my scooter. (am I prejudiced? :) Probably,
The Busa I also looked at seemed to be finished better than the Kawasaki and about on par with the Honda.
If I had the money I'd own all three of them. I love them all. They each do something well and better than their contemperaries, in their own areas. I am brand loyal but only to the point that if I see something that's designed better and I think I need it then yeah I'll switch. These three bikes are done so well in there areas that I'd have to have all three of them.
I looked at a new Triumph Daytona Speed Triple centennial edition in green. Nice bike! Don't know how they ride out, sure are a sweet looking thing though. Anybody ride one out there?

For what it's worth

Silverbird.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Silverbird said:
I really think that the Honda has the best Aero of all the bikes however.
The Busa has the lowest Cd of the three bikes, this is one reason why the screen (useless for normal street riding) is so low. A lower Cd equates to requiring LESS horsepower to go the same speed as a bike with a higher Cd. Before the Busa and 12 were limited this is how the Busa was able to spank the 12 (stockers) in tops speed with less horsepower.

If thread starter is REALLY interested in top speed runs, you owe it to yourself to read up on aerodynamics and fluid dynamics. Breaking 200 mph barrier without spending lots of money is not as easy as it sounds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Top speed is regulated by three things: Aerodynamic drag, contact friction, available engine torque.

Drag and friction try to hold the bike back. If you have sufficient twisting force (as in torque), you will overcome the other two. It's just that simple. Now before I get into trouble with all the horsepower flag wavers, you guys need to understand something about horsepower. It's a rating. Just like torque but a little more ambiguous. Basically horsepower is the rate of work an engine can accomplish in a set amount of time. That's all.
Torque on the other hand is the actual twisting force applied by the engine to the drive train, and is rated in pounds/feet. Of course the greater amount of work an engine can do in a given amount of time the faster it will be. When you get into really fast engines you are talking about lots of torque and horsepower. They both have to be there. Given a choice, I'll opt for a big with more torque any day. They are lots more forgiving on the street or the track and will get your butt from point A to point B in great style.

Going faster in any endeavour whether it be top speed or elapsed time becomes more difficult at the inverse square of how fast you want to go. Put another way, (I'm an ex-drag racer so bear with me) to get a drag car to run 12 seconds isn't so hard. To get the same car to run 11 seconds may require an increase of 100 horsepower. Now if one wants to run 10's another 100 horsepower isn't gonna do it. It may take 250-300 more. Same thing applies with motorcycles, either with top speed or ET.

It just boils down to how big your pocket book is and how much courage you have to ride something that fast.

Any vehicle whether it be a car of a bike that will run down a quarter mile in 10 seconds or less it extremely fast.

Silverbird

1 - 20 of 30 Posts