Sportbike World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A buddy of mine Low sided his monster 750 this weekend, and I thought I’d post how his gear held up. He was going about 30~35 when he lost the front (brain fart), and slid face down about 30 feet into some grass.

His OLYMPIA gloves failed to protect his hands. The seams ripped apart and he got a fair amount of road rash on both hands. IMHO, if you own Olympia gloves, toss them and buy real gloves.

Dianese Eyes jacket & pants. They are made of some type of ballistic nylon, maybe a little heavier then a good ski jacket. They are not heavy like a ‘stitch. After the 30-foot slide, both jacket and pants were toast, although they did protect him from getting hurt. They failed at the seams, and the material ripped. Another 10 feet and it would have been skin on the road. I know he spent close to $1k on the jacket and pants, IMHO…JUNK.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Olympia---HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA. I got a free pair with my first bike(that should tell you something when they have to giv'em away to get rid of them). I think they're great...I use them for doing oil changes and such. I wouldn't even think about wearing them on the bike though.

That jacket sounds like some I've seen advertised as paddock jackets. They have a high poser factor, but offer about the same protection as a Starter jacket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
How do you pay $1k for the Dainese jacket and pants? The jacket is routinely advertised for $339. Also, while it may not be the best on the market, it's not fair to say it's a "paddock" jacket. It does have armor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember right, he paid close to $500 for each (dealer prices). They definatly sell it a riding jacket, some armor, but too thin, and I think questionable build & design quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Crashed Gear

I fell during a practice session during my Beginners MSF course a few years back and I had a pair of Olympias with metal studs on the palms. It was during a figure eight excercise when someone in front of me stopped for no reason and being a newbie I hit the front brake while going too slow and went down.

What does this have to do with the gloves? I was wearing the Olympias and the studs wore down or were ripped off and some of the leather ripped slightly. Luckily I wasn't going really fast. During this same incident I was wearing my shinny new 597 Prexport Race Boots and they saved my ankle from serious damage because the bike landed on my foot/ankle. I received a badly sprained ankle but no broken bones, which I contribute to the armor on the boot.

I now wear HELD race gloves which are well worth the price in my opinion and from what I've hear they hold up well in accidents.

Good luck and don't skimp on protective equipment. :)

Marc

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can say my boyfriend and I have tested Spyke leathers and they are really good...mine withheld a highside on a track with a worn shoulder and cracked hard armor...I on the otherhand had bruises for 3 weeks but would have had broken bones from landing on my shoulder and elbow otherwise. I also had a good slide in a pair of Frank Thomas 1 piece leathers that were really good leather...no tears just asphalt scrapes. My boyfriend had the same Spyke leathers as myself and was pulled out on by an Audi last summer and the hard knee protection and knee slider saved his knee from being crushed...and finally last week he had an off in them on the track as well with only a couple of small holes in them. A bit costly but not as much as some leathers but I will stick with Spyke leathers myself from now on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey kids, new here but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents...Spend as much as you can on quality riding gear...gloves and leathers...I look stupid in me vanson leathers but I know I'm as safe as i can be on 2 wheels...I just ordered a set of galaxy's from held...expensive but worth it...specially if you make smashy crashy mash.

ButtWind
01 929
01 ex2fity

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I'll toss in a nickels worth..Crashed 3 times in my Prexport leathers, 2 lowsides, and 1 highside..Got one little tear in the rearend of the leathers..mind you, I paid $525.00 from newenough for these...sure they are a tad scuffed, but still in good shape..my glove are tecknic Violators..held up fine..my helmet never touched the ground..I always keep my head up..:D

get some quality leathers, a quality pair of gloves, I know..there are better gloves than mine..speaking of which..I'm due for a new pair..:rolleyes: :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts