Sportbike World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Smart Ass!
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who thought that CPR was some thing you are on the fence about getting, I hope what I am about to tell you pushes you to learn it.

This happened today, October 4th, 2009 at 1:30 pm.......
Around 1:30 this afternoon, I was at my parents house. I was working on something when I heard a strange noise. I went to check out only to find my step father laying on the ground gasping for air. My mom found him first. I went into EMT mode, ran and grabbed the land line phone, dialed 911 and started compressions. He was down for 5 minutes until paramedics showed up. This was a long 5 minutes. You never think that you would have to perform CPR on a loved one Once the medics got him hooked up, they shocked him and got his heart going. After a few moments they got him on the gurney and to Watsonville Hospital. He is there currently. It is not known whether or not he suffered any brain damage, as we don't know how long he was laying on the ground. We assume 1-2 minutes. They have him sedated and keeping his body cooled to 32 degrees to help the brain regain normal function.

Like I said, you never know when you might need that skill, this was the first time in 10 years that I had used it, but I hope that it's the last.

Like I said, if you have been on the fence about getting CPR certified, GET IT! The life you save, could be someone close to you. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
5 minutes is a long time to do cpr by yourself. I'm certified, but have never done it on a person. It's good to know. I always considered what would happen if I had to do it to a family member.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Wait till you have kids. The idea of what you need to do for infants is outright scary to think about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts