Sportbike World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a college student and plan on buying a sport bike next semestar, but i have one problem. I will only have about 4k to spend on one and some people say that i could get a honda cbr f4i for that or an older gsxr600 for that. When i look at prices online ( ebay for example) they are like atleast 5k or more so my question is could i pull off getting a f4i for 4k or is it gonna be too difficult? If so where should i look. I went to a bike shop and they had used ones but they were still too expensive. If you had any input or advice from past experiences i would really appreciate it....thx

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
You could find a descent bike for $3k. Is it going to be your first? Look into Suzi SV650S. I've seen an '02 for $3k...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea this is my first bike and i reallylike the look of the honda f4i and so far people tell me that is a great bike, but i just don't know if i can afford it. Where should i look when i am ready to buy cause ebay just seems too expensive unless i am just missing something.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know about in your kneck of the woods; but up here I look at craigslist.com which has locations all over the country as well as cycle trader mags usually found in most gas stations. I have found quite a few bikes for around $4K. Remember you don't want to get a perfect bling bike etc for your first due to the fact that you will crash or drop it.

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
twist the wrist said:
...Remember you don't want to get a perfect bling bike etc for your first due to the fact that you will crash or drop it.
+1 Finding something that is mechanically sound should be your priority at this stage in your riding career.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess my biggest problem is that i wan to get something that i am happy with not only when i buy it, but the next year and the next. I was originally thinking of a gs500f, but i can't find them very easily so i just figured it would be easier to get a 600cc bike, but some of those are too expensive so i am trying to find a bike to fit a newbie like me so i won't get hurt but also will be fun.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 04' CBR600f4i from my dealer for $6800 out the door. But it came with a full yoshi exhaust,fender eliminator kit,new brake lights, frame sliders, and 2400 miles. I wouldn't count on finding a f4i for 4k, but you never know.

·
Registered
609 Posts
m3atwad said:
I guess my biggest problem is that i wan to get something that i am happy with not only when i buy it, but the next year and the next. I was originally thinking of a gs500f, but i can't find them very easily so i just figured it would be easier to get a 600cc bike, but some of those are too expensive so i am trying to find a bike to fit a newbie like me so i won't get hurt but also will be fun.
If you're shopping on Ebay, I'd think you'd be able to find GS500's....you should also seriously consider the Suzuki SV650, and even look for the SV650S(which has fairings). It "looks the part," is plenty powerful enough where you won't get bored, reliable, and a great handling bike. It's very popular on race tracks, if that tells you anything. Better move over a CBR for a first bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have been looking at the sv650s and i actually really like it. The fact that it has so many aftermarket parts is really nice too. I think i will probly try to get my hands on one of them in the future, especially if i can get one for 3k. Thanks a lot for the reply!!!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Don't forget about insurance, parts, and tires! Buy something cheaper (the 600 is good) , Graduate, get a good job, and then buy the R1 when you can comfortably afford it.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Should I be so out of line to also suggest that you take the FIM Course.

Also to point out that a m/c is NOT like a car in that you can be riding it numerous yrs later on. Check with others & you will find many switch bikes within a year or two.

So why not the 500cc vertical twins by Suzuki & Kawasaki which are ideal bikes for beginners.

Sportbikes are really for experienced riders as they are with peaky engines, dramatic stopping power, & are not forgiving bikes to try & learn on.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you guys think a sv650s is too dangerous for a newbie to start on? I really don't know myself because this will be my first bike and I was thinking in the beginning of getting a gs500f used, but some people said just to go with the sv650s cause it is pretty cheap and a really good bike.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My buddy has one for his first bike and has done great on it. They do have a lot of acceleration for someone who's not used to bikes but if you take it easy it'll be a good beginer bike you won't get tired of soon. Also being half faired if you do drop it it won't cost as much to fix. I'd say go for it!:thumb:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey, I am 6 feet 4 inches, do you guys think i would fit on this bike?? I dont' want to look like the bike is too small. I only weight 192 so i am not overweight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts