Sportbike World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been trying to become smoother in the turns but I'm having trouble with my technique. I'm not really sure what I should be doing.

Right now the only thing I know is to look where you want to go, but I want to know what I should be doign with my body? Where should I be on the seat? Where should I be placing my body, forward, towards the rear, center?

I'd like to get her leaned down a little more than I have.

·
Registered
316 Posts
ahh the art of cornering my favorite topic: :D ok below is a list of the things I do when hitting the twistes.

P.S. >> I don't nessecarily come off the seat around town only in my favorite twistes when I am hauling ass ;)

1: First find a nice U turn like corner on a lonely road were you can practice without interuption.

2: First I BREAK HARD
You will only need to break hard if you a going an excessive speed, I cannot tell you when to brake that is something you will have to feel out and become comfortable with as you practice. The better cornerers are the one that are able to brake late keep that in mind, but again this comes with practice don't rush it..

3: LOOK THRU THE CORNER

Breaking and looking I do these almost simultaneously remember even these are listed as seperate steps you will have to do these thing very fast as close to one smooth motion as possible.

4: LEAN

Leaning when practicing leaning I prefer to do what I call the superman technique, when superman wants to go right he pushes his right fist outward vice versa when he want to go left this coupled with slightly shifting your one ass check off the seat and yoiu will be getting your knee down after one full day of uninterupted practice and concentration
:D
P.S. > It's always better to lean too much than to not lean enough remember that..

5: Then ROLL ON the trottle.

Now the roll on this is the fun part this step and step 4 are also done in almost on smooth motion. once you are in your line nice lean don't be scare to roll that trottle ..

Practice these steps over and over again both on right and left hand turns and you will achieve the glow

peace :twofinger

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
go take a race school. and read TOTW II. Your ass should be off the seat. You should be kissing your elbow that for the directions of the trun your are taking.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TOTW I & II= Twist of the Wrist I & II by Keith Code

Both are a must read if you want to ride better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information! Funny thing is that I put that book on my christmas list this year. Maybe i'll go out and buy it and take it off the list.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got out a little this weekend and worked on getting my butt hanging off the seat and kissing the mirror and i really felt like I was getting down further and turning a lot faster.

One thing I noticed is sometimes when i'm cornering I tend to feel like i'm wobbling a little. Its like i'm starting to straighten up then go down again. Any thoghts? I'm thinking it has to do with my eyes, and subconsiously looking down at the curve instead of through the turn but i'm not sure.

Maybe its due to a lack of practice as well. Dammit, the winter is coming up so fast here in WI. I need to move to a warmer state, preferable one with some nice roads.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi All-

Dad (the SBW poster, not my father) did an excellent post on cornering technique that would be worth using the search feature. It was about two or three months ago.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It's possible that subconsciously, you're putting pressure on the outside bar or rolling off the throttle. Keep the throttle one and look through the turn as far as possible, and remove weigth from the bars as much as possible, only keeping a light pressure on the inside bar in case you need to adjust. When bike is settle, mostly it will track itself, you should only keep the throttle on and look far ahead.

Also, I try to work more on braking, and entrance speed on the corner, and getting the bike more and more leaned (when the road is safe). This way, I know the limit before the pegs drag and would better apply the hanging off technique. Essetially, it's all the same whether you're on the bike or hanging off, move your head from the fairings and to the mirror, shoulder pointing on the turn, head over your wrist, and eyes matching the curve, etc. Light pressure on inside bar, and no pressure on the outside bar (except initiating a quick flick).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Good responses in my opinion, not much to add. check out dads post. Wobble could be do to shift in body position, on throttle input, both can cause this, when i was first learning hard cornering i would sometimes freak a little and let of the throttle, and this always made things worse, any change mid corner, be it body, throttle, break, etc will cause the bike position/feel to alter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts