Votes: 88 35.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1-21-02

I personally feel more set up going into left-handers. I know that my father prefers right-handers because he is flowing away from on-coming traffic. Which do you prefer and why?

·
Registered
193 Posts
i like left handers the best.i think it has a lot to do with that i'm right handed.ben bostrom was asked why he was so fast last year at( i forget what track).and he said "cause it goes left":confused:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Nice poll...:D

Almost ever since I learned to ride, I started racing dirt track(short track 1/2 mile) and all ya do is turn left, which made riding in a TT event for me, a major task, never did learn how to slide real good goin right...:D So tuning left is just second nature to me, but I've been workin on them right handers, in fact, it was a right hand turn that I first scrapped my knee pucks...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Left because I grew up riding dirt bikes with the brake on the right side. So, when I went into a left turn I could use the brake to set up the slide. On right turns, my rt. foot had to be put down for the turn, so I couldn't slide as deep into rt. turns. Back then I was on a 125 and didn't have enough thrust to bring the rear around with just throttle.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
desmo079 said:
Left because I grew up riding dirt bikes with the brake on the right side. So, when I went into a left turn I could use the brake to set up the slide. On right turns, my rt. foot had to be put down for the turn, so I couldn't slide as deep into rt. turns. Back then I was on a 125 and didn't have enough thrust to bring the rear around with just throttle.
A brake to start a slide ?..Bro..ya gotta PITCH that thing into the turn...:D

·
Registered
482 Posts
naefearjustbeer said:
I allways prefer a nice left hander (I ride on the opposite side of the road than most of you) I had a bad crash involving a right hand turn early in my biking life and seem to have a mental block about commiting to right handers.
Funny I figured rigth hand drivers would prefer right turns... because your right turns would almost always be wide turns... as with our left turns here in the States...;)

I prefer left handers.:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
iccarref1026 said:
ben bostrom was asked why he was so fast last year at( i forget what track).and he said "cause it goes left":confused:

He said that he grew up riding dirt tracks(flat) where all there are is left hand turns so that is what he is the most comfortable with.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I would definetly have to say lefties. I believe it's because when im far over on a righty im putting more pressure on the gas, therefore making it more of a balancing act with the throttle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I like lefts best too, and I think it's because I can see further around them, I can set up outside without worrying about being clipped by on coming traffic, and if someone is crossing the line, it's easier to get out of the way.

then again, it may be because I lost the front on a tight right hander this weekend... :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Gixxerdude said:
I would definetly have to say lefties. I believe it's because when im far over on a righty im putting more pressure on the gas, therefore making it more of a balancing act with the throttle.
Why would you be putting more pressure on the throttle..? if that's what your doing, you need to RELAX your grip some..:D

in fact, you should be able to take one hand off the bars, even when scrapping hard parts..like this

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
One other thing to think about. Most right handed people are left eye dominant. This is one reason our road systems are set up for us to drive on the right. Anyway left eye dominant means you should be able to see better into a left hander. I think Robert could attest to how much this can make a difference. Just some thoughts on the subject :).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts