Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a couple riding buddies and I were having a discussion about this after reading about a recent motorcycle accident. Surprising, we had differing opinions on the matter. I'm interested in your opinions.

The situation is: You enter a corner and realize that you are going too fast. (For the sake of discussion let's assume that you ARE too fast, and not just "feeling" too fast) What is the best action now? Assume that "standing the bike up and aborting into straight line braking" is not an option.

1. Get off the throttle, stay off the brake, look where you want to go, lean into it, believe the bike can do it?

2. Get off the throttle, get ON the front brake, look, lean and believe?

3. Other....

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well, when I took the test in real life, I failed. I got on the brakes, stood it up and ran off. That was not one of your options.

I say No 2. Stay leaned over. If "for the sake of disscussion" you are going to fast and are leaning hard, chances are this will lead to a low-side. Much more favorable to lose the front end than the other possibility.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I think we did this one a while back. I believe the commonly accepted correct answer envolved a handfull of throttle and some rear wheel steering to square off the corner dirttrack style. The concensus was also that 99% of us aren't talented enough to pull it off so you'd just be screwed. This assumes that you are in too hot and just leaning the bike will not get it done.

Yep, found it. Here you go:

http://www.sportbikeworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6812

·
Registered
115 Posts
Kinda depends on how far over you are when you realize "OH SH*T!!!".

Dont just let off the throttle, hold steady on it or let off VERY lightly a little bit.
Tap the rear break lightly if anything...dont squash it.
Look INSIDE the turn...you go where you look!
Pray.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Mongrel is absolutely correct (damn, man..you must be a racer, or something :))

Remember, if you ain't decking stuff, you ain't out of cornering clearance. If you can't stand the bike up and brake, then just keep pushing on that bar, and hanging off the seat. Just don't panic and quit riding. If you gotta go down, then lowside trying to make it. Your tires can take a lot more lean angle (assuming they are in good shape) than most of us are comfortable with. Your Tilt-O-Meter in your head will start sounding the "Oh, shit, we're gonna die!" alarms way before the tires actually lose traction.

You should also remember that you will scrub off speed just by virtue of the fact that you are leaning over, because you are riding on the outside edges of the tire, which have a smaller circumference, which effectively changes your gearing.

Unless you really have the feel for trail braking, feathering the front brake, etc..that should be a last ditch sort of thing. In a hard corner, the brakes will dump you on your ass before you know what happened if you don't know what you are doing. Plus the fact that if you don't kick the rear out just right to steer around the corner, what really happens is that the brake starts to stand the bike up a little, which decreases your lean angle and your direction change, which makes you run wider. It also will transfer weight forward causing your rear suspension to unload too much and putting too much weight on the front tire.

So, I vote for continuing to countersteer, staying off the brakes and chancing getting off on the lowside, assuming you have oncoming traffic and can't stand the bike up and brake hard, then back in to the corner.

·
Registered
577 Posts
:eek: :eek: more throttle, turn harder and enjoy the ride:barf: :barf: then listen to your friends giggle like hyenas because they watched you smoke your back tire all the way through the curve:p

·
Registered
623 Posts
Never say die, until you hit the pavement. I came off a corner when I was going too fast by pretty much giving up. I leaned it in hard and fast, the back end began to slide (centrestand hitting the ground perhaps??- I don't know why). At this point, I thought I'm screwed and I looked where I didn't want to go, and ended up there.
Sad thing was that by this time I was 75+% of the way through the corner (long blind corner) and if I'd just had the sense to just lean it in again, I would have made it.

Safe riding all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts