Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how many people have actually run from the cops and what's the success rate? I recently had the urge after blowing by a speed trap at triple digits. I then thought of all the cops episodes I'd ever watched. Should I slow or go? I kept on it and made it to the exit and quickly got off the interstate, and flew the rest of the way home to put her in the garage.

I'm still kind of worried that they might have seen my plate or something....what are your thoughts?

Who has similiar stories or knows any loopholes in the procedure for cops pursuing bikes?

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
First off, it is incedibly stupid to admit to a crime you want to get away with online. Your local DA knows how to use google.

There are no nationally collected statistics on the escape rate of people who flee, for very obvious reasons. If you are going to do it, make damn sure you get away. Here is what your choices look like.

1. Get a ticket. Possibly a very expensive ticket.
2. Flee and get cought. Get charged with speeding, felony fleeing, reckless driving and anything else they can throw at you. Thats right, a few of them will be felonies. At the very least you will loose your liscence and it will cost you a shit load of money and get some community service. There is a good chance you will get some jail time, as well as loosing your bike.
3. Flee, and the office behind you blows a tire hits a tree and dies. You are now responsible for his death and are going to jail for a very long time. I dont think its right, but I dont make the law.
4. Get away completely free.

Make whatever decision you will, but this are your options.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got my first ticket about a month ago. 54 in a 40 in a rural area near where I live. The guy who pulled me over had a police SUV (which is why I didn't see it in the first place) and I just took the ticket and didn't say anything. I could've shot... there is no way a police SUV can keep up with my bike on a road I know pretty well but I didn't want to die or get caught so I pulled over. I went to court two weeks later and didn't say anything in front of the magistrate since I was wrong in every way for speeding and there wasn't anything I could say. They reduced the charges to 45 in a 40, no points, and I paid $110 and left.

Just grow up and take it next time. You're even older than me..

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree running from the cops is extremely stupid, and I would never do it myself.

But - I see nothing wrong with taking prudent and safe evasive action if you suspect you are ABOUT to be chased. That's common sense. My favorite move is to shield myself with a semi, pull over to the right and let him pass me as the cop flies by on the left of the truck, and immediately take the next exit.

If you have lights in your rear view mirror, you stop. If you don't but think you might shortly, then, hey.

DISCLAIMER: The Tee is describing hypothetical situations only. Any relation to an actual event is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Vash said:
First off, it is incedibly stupid to admit to a crime you want to get away with online. Your local DA knows how to use google.
Which is one of the prime reasons the Tee will never link his real identity to his online identity. Although the Tee doesn't have criminal intent, there are many other people besides the DA that can google, and the Tee simply doesn't want them to know what he's up to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
You're an idiot with absolutely no testicular fortitude. Please leave the gene pool immediately.

That is all.

·
Registered
460 Posts
if you think you might be being followed I don't see any reason to try to get off at the next exit and pull in to the gas station to fill up at a safe speed in all. But once the lights are on you pull the Frack over. aslo why where you doing tripple digits in a speed trap area. tripple digts are for the track only.

I'm not saying I'm perfect but

·
Registered
659 Posts
Vash said:

There are no nationally collected statistics on the escape rate of people who flee, for very obvious reasons. If you are going to do it, make damn sure you get away. Here is what your choices look like.

1. Get a ticket. Possibly a very expensive ticket.
2. Flee and get cought. Get charged with speeding, felony fleeing, reckless driving and anything else they can throw at you. Thats right, a few of them will be felonies. At the very least you will loose your liscence and it will cost you a shit load of money and get some community service. There is a good chance you will get some jail time, as well as loosing your bike.
3. Flee, and the office behind you blows a tire hits a tree and dies. You are now responsible for his death and are going to jail for a very long time. I dont think its right, but I dont make the law.
4. Get away completely free.

Make whatever decision you will, but this are your options.
5. Die trying to negotiate a turn too fast; make local headlines as an example of what not to do.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
6. Crash and dont die. Spend the rest of your life in a wheelchair, never able to get some again.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
Looks like running could be stopped with the right technology.
Potential hurdles to overcome

1. That thing isnt going to be cheap. Multiply its price by the ammount of police cruisers, and you get a nice chunk of change.
2. adding 200 lbs to the roof of a cruiser is not going to help its handling any.
3. The cost of training is likely going to be comparable to the cost of purchasing. Another chunk of change is going to be spent on maintaining this system. In other words, how many additional officers could be hired for the cost of such a system.
4. They touched on what happens when this thing misses, but no one mentioned pace makers
5. Wouldnt the cars metal body act a shield for its electronics?
6. Every cop that gets cancer from now till the end of time will sue the crap out of whomever they can.

I can see some sense in military applications, when one can afford a lower safety margins (Iraqis are unlikely to sue in case of a mishap), but those are ussually protecting stationary object, which takes away the systems greatest advantage over stationary barriers, being its mobility.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Just grow up and take it next time. You're even older than me.. [/B][/QUOTE]

Uh I've taken a few tickets already. I blew by the trap and didn't slow down to wait for the cops to catch up to me...is that so bad?

It's not the money I'm worried about. I know that it's stupid to be going that fast and it's rare that I do. The points that have piled up from the "50 in a 35" and the "32 in a 15" are what make me hesitant to take the shaft anymore.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Vash said:

1. That thing isnt going to be cheap. Multiply its price by the ammount of police cruisers, and you get a nice chunk of change.
2. adding 200 lbs to the roof of a cruiser is not going to help its handling any.
3. The cost of training is likely going to be comparable to the cost of purchasing. Another chunk of change is going to be spent on maintaining this system. In other words, how many additional officers could be hired for the cost of such a system.
4. They touched on what happens when this thing misses, but no one mentioned pace makers
5. Wouldnt the cars metal body act a shield for its electronics?
6. Every cop that gets cancer from now till the end of time will sue the crap out of whomever they can.

I can see some sense in military applications, when one can afford a lower safety margins (Iraqis are unlikely to sue in case of a mishap), but those are ussually protecting stationary object, which takes away the systems greatest advantage over stationary barriers, being its mobility.
good point...i didn't even think about pacemakers

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Vash said:
I will wildly guess many of those same concerns were brought as radar guns were brought to market.

The big negative I'd read by someone else was what happens when the vehicle loses power. Loss of control? A certainty on a bike I'd think and grounds for some lawsuits.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
kanwisch said:
I will wildly guess many of those same concerns were brought as radar guns were brought to market.

The big negative I'd read by someone else was what happens when the vehicle loses power. Loss of control? A certainty on a bike I'd think and grounds for some lawsuits.
Radars are low power systems, less dangerous than cell phones. This thing on the other hand, emitts 2 gigawatts (*doc freaked out voice*).

On the loss of control issue, on a bike, your engine will die. It will still brake and steer fine. On a car the power steering will go out, and the brake assist. But it will still be controlable.

However, manufacturers have been talking about going to a drive by wire system, which wouldnt like this device one bit.

tlosman: You wouldnt get cancer from being zapped once or twice. But the cop who has this thing mounted inches from his head and uses it multiple times a day might.

·
Registered
892 Posts
first of all you shouldnt be doing triple digits in anywhere where there could possible be a speed trap because i doubt that the trap was on a back country road. if you absolutly have to go that fast a back counrty road is the only place where a triple digit speed should ever be reached. obviously the track is the best place.

if you are going to get a ticket then ya pull the fuck over. but until that black and white is behind you i see no problem slowing down to the speed limit and taking evasive manuvers while following the law. but dont be a douchebag and get yourself into a high speed chase.

that car disabler is pretty cool....lets see....18 months till its ready...so that roughly translates to.....18 years till actual widespread use? LOL

That is unless that market it right at walmart...then were all in trouble :D

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
As soon as I see the signal from a police officer I stop on the shoulder of the road & usually have stepped off the bike, removed my gloves, to the glasses & then the helmet to probably be putting back my glasses on as the police officer arrives.

I never reach for my wallet or dig in for my proof of ownership of the bike till the police officer asks---for in some cases that could be like I was going for a h/gun though we Cdns do not pack h/guns, but a police officers really cannot tell, especially lately as two RCMP Constables have been killed up in the North West Terrorties within the past month, which is so new it is hard to believe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
kanwisch said:
Looks like running could be stopped with the right technology.

whoaaaaaa theres NO WAY that sh1t would pass. Say you're on your bike. You didnt see the cop in your mirror for a few hundred feet/yards, the cop decides to activiate thsi machine, WHICH PERMANATELY DAMAGES YOUR ELECTRONICS because he THOUGHT you were running. Law suit...good buy microwave particles from police enforcement.

if you WERE runing, and KNEW it, the cop could activate it, cause your bike to fail mid-turn or w/e the situation be, sending you to the ground with possible death depending on the situation.

Don't run.
If you decide to, be ready for the consequenses. People generally are not going to admit if they run, but Ill be the guinea pig. I've scooted away from an officer or two that spoted me going 10-20 mph over on a few occasions knowing very well what the consequeses would be. I turned out fine, but I could be in jail, or dead because of it.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts