Sportbike World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to my first track day this weekend and have a couple of questions. Glycol-based coolants are supposedly not allowed on the track. I'm told to use plain water or add in water wetter.

My first question is do they even check this at the track?

Second question is does plain water cool the engine sufficiently without boiling? The temperature has been over 100 everyday here and even with normal street riding my engine temperature is 220-225. I know water boils at 212 and water wetter doesn't raise water's boiling point. Am I missing something here and it would be safe to use just water? Just seems wrong to me. Is there non-glycol based coolants that have a higher than water boiling point?

Guess thats more than two questions.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
I'll tack on another question to your thread for someone smart. I have never flushed my coolant, although I'm about to. Someone told me not to use straight coolant, but to mix it 50/50 with water. Any thoughts?

Sorry for leaching onto your thread smoooth.;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
1st, if you go to the track with glycol and they DONT check it, and you crash spilling glycol all over the track, you will get your ass kicked by the racers who spent all that money to race cause of the ammount of down time (clean up time) it takes to remove glycol off the track. dont be an ass, do it by the rules.

now thats outa the way.
distilled water and water wetter is legal on most every track. engine ice is allowed on a few tracks. glycol is NOT allowed on any track.

i run water (distilled) and water wetter in my street bike. its track ready in case i get a chance to go. plus i run cooler with this coolant setup than when i had glycol in. i run about 7* cooler at stops.

tippman-- i usually just buy the honda glycol. its already pre-mixed.

·
Administrator
676 Posts
Some track day providers do check for coolant...

I agree - Distilled water and Water Wetter (an actual product by Redline) is the way to go... Only caution if you live where there are freezing temps, then you should revert back to anti-freeze in the winter or be sure to keep it warm.

Water Wetter is designed to reduce the boiling temp. I live in SoCal and use it year-round in both street and track bikes.

Oh.. since I'm relatively lazy about bike care, since I work to much... I flush my bike by pulling a lower hose off ond running the bike while adding fresh water through the radiator. Care is taken with the hose. Done in 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
i just opened the drain bolt, had 5 gallons of distilled water ready to go. started bike, let run while pouring distilled water into the filler neck. did this till ran clear, then 2+gallons more. filled her up then added 15 cap fulls of water wetter. total cost 20.00. total time -1hr.

·
Strength and Honor
6,143 Posts
DemonRR said:
now thats outa the way.
distilled water and water wetter is legal on most every track. engine ice is allowed on a few tracks. glycol is NOT allowed on any track.
I thought this too, except that California Superbike School is telling me that I don't have to change out my coolant! I am still baffled and may call back for a second opinion or post to their forums asking. It was the first time I had EVER heard that.

Tippy, I'd recommend against ever using straight, 100% coolant. Water is a much better conductor of heat and the only reason you use the coolant is to prevent freezing and provide a bit of lubrication to your water pump. There's actually nothing particularly wrong with running straight water if you live where it never will freeze.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
There's that alcohol based coolant that my friend uses on his water cooled computer. Wonder if that'll be legal for track use. The thing cools an extra few degrees better than distilled water and is UV green reactive... :cool:

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
The info above is good on what to be used during track days.

As for my sportbikes at least every 2nd year I dump & replinish two things being the brake fluid & coolant & use one of he many m/c coolant materials for they will stand up to Cdns coldest of weather.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts