Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one carry when they are riding? if you do what is the safest and most comfortable way? sorry if this is the wrong thread.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
awesome! Don't forgot to include the hidden surface to air missiles behind the headlights, the flamethrower built into the exhaust and the smoke grenade launcher in under the passenger seat cover.

All silliness aside. I would probably recommend a pistol shoulder holster as that would probably work for daily riding a lot better than a hip or back belt holster. Some do make a chest holster vest, but that looks to be a bit too much. A drop leg pistol holster may also work, but it's not very concealable.

·
Registered
452 Posts
are you talking about guns? or someting else . . . (420):D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i have a shoulder holster just wondering if anyone rides with one i don't mean all the time just trips and stuff.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I try to look like a demon when I ride so that others will run off in fear as I roll up. Many people often say I look like a swat member... or power rangers. Hey, power ranges are scary! They are Japanese and they kill monsters for a living! lol

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I have a number of good holsters for my variable revolvers & semi-autos in PPC to IPSC to something I learned on like besides stong-arm side with draw out or break forward to cross draw, to under-arm holster rig with mags on the other side to SOB, being small of the back.

Unfortunately being a Cdn I can only use them AT THE GUN RANGE in competitions when allowed to also being used while practicing. The under-arm holster rig is good for all guns while the SOB is good for my Colt Det. Spl 2" snubbie six shot.

Friend of mine has several 32 cal semi-autos & he is deadly with them. Yet has a very old Browning probably built in 1903 or 1906 with just 3 diget S/N on it. Still shoots tight groups, of his loads & can be concealed on strong arm side so easily.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Small of back is a good choice, as long as your jacket doesnt ride up, check that. Even if open carry is legal in your state you dont need the headache of freaked out sheeple calling the popo. Strong or weak side works, I recomend outside the wasteband for comfort, once again check for concealment with your riding jacket. Shoulder holster is in my opininon one of the best ways on a bike, only prob is when you get of the bike and take of your jacket you need a better cover garnment than small of back or strong/weak side. One note is if you decide to go small of back, get a left side in the wastband holster if you are righty, or right side if you are lefty, that will place youre piece for correct draw. Another option is to ride with a backpack, then transfer to on your person of your choice when you stop. This does leave you vunerable when riding, at lights, parking, etc, as you dont have immediate access.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks jab i usually carry with the in the pants but never rode with one. plan on doing alot of trips this summer and feel like i left one of my kids home without it.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
First, I'm not really into guns, so +grain of salt.

Second, how wise is it to ride a sportbike, which naturally draws police attention, and add a second attention-getter for police, a concealed weapon? If you get pulled over, my guess would be that you'd be highly likely to have a much rougher time with law enforcement.

Third, police are trained to spot concealed weapons. Sportbike gear is generally tight fitting so it can actually protect you in a crash. That same tightness will dramatically help in noting weapons and could, at least in my head, cause you to be pulled over for just that reason.

Its seems to me to not be so good an idea.

:2cents:

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
If you have a permit for it, cops can't do shit. They'll hassle you if you are in an area that is sensitive. Btw, if you get pulled, it's a good idea to tell the officer that you are carrying and have a permit for it. That reduces any assumptions by the cop and they always assume the worst.

I can see the use of a concealed weapon for a trip, but not for DD. Especially in a metropolitan area, unless you live in the Bronx or something...

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
You are right JBaz, BUT if you are out of your State then good chance your CCW is NOT valid in the other State. Also the USA is not like Canada with ONLY 10 Provinces so not as easy to accidently find yourself in another Province.

Still is the case of Cdns they do NOT hae the right to CCW, mind you some use to ONLY if you were in danger & the police could not give you coverage for of 24 hrs a day for so many weeks or months though that has been scratched.

Mind you many of us are pointing out to the Fed Govt that some of the more skilled Club h/gunners & often that means ex-RCMP or city police would fit in that "skilled" bit for sure, but then some of the non ex-police are far superior shooters the the police ever were. So chances of this are basiclally NIL.

·
Registered
352 Posts
ATTN SMITTY

how are u 76, if your birth year was 1969?!!?!?!

and oh yea, i would carry a handgun while i ride, if i owned one. i dont think the cops would be to happy with me riding around with a SKS or a mauser slung on my back, prolly would be to hard to shoot a muthafu*ka if needed to.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
LOL @ the AR15 post. This wouldn't be half as funny without a small story...

I HATE driving my cage in the summer time. Since I spend about 3-5 hours a day at the range EVERY day in the summer, this creates a slight issue. Last summer, I REALLY didn't want to take the cage, so I threw my AR in a drag back and slung it over my back, threw my 9mm and some ammo for both firearms under the rear seat and headed to the range. :D

As to the first post... Yes, I carry. Shoulder holster.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Well Smitty, I guess I got a few years on ya... It's not such a good idea to carry a gun next to your body while riding. Your chances of crashing are much greater than your chances of needing a gun. So, unless you're looking to gain a new internal organ....

Being from the south, I have at least one of each gun - revolver, semiauto, carbine, long rifle, and shotgun. I used to carry, but experience taught me a few things about carrying a gun.

Guns whisper to you....If someone does something that you wouldn't care that much about normally, like spill something on you, or cut you off in traffic, that gun will whisper to you, saying 'Hey, we're not going to let them get away with that, are we'? Lots of people never learn how not to listen, with tragic results.

I'm sure packtec could give you precise numbers, but it seems to go like this -
Chances of handguns being stolen are pretty good. I've had three stolen & gotten two back. It's not the monetary value of the guns so much as thinking about what might be done with your weapon.

The possibility exists that you or a loved one will be accidentally shot.
You can minimize the chance of any thing like this happening with good protocols the same way you minimize risks while riding. Minimize, but never eliminate.

Finally, the possibility exists that you will save your life, or someone else's by having your gun there when you need it. If it goes like this, maybe you'll be considered a hero like the guy in Texas who killed the two kids burglarizing his neighbors' house. Or maybe you'll be convicted of manslaughter like the guy in Long Island was for defending his family from a mob. Best not to put yourself in the position of having your future decided by the justice system.

Won't be selling my guns, but I won't be carrying them around. Best to depend on the finest weapon available, your brain. The complete saying goes, 'Better to outsmart 20 than to be judged by 12 or carried by six'.

Just my thoughts. Everyone has to make their mind up for themselves....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my permit i can carry in almost all surrounding states. the cops that have pulled me over when i have it in my car treat me better when i tell them i have my ccw. The reason i got my ccw in the first place and always carry is my exwife got into meth really bad and have been chased my kids and my life threatend by drug dealers. so i didnt make this i just deal with it the best i can. I tottaly agree about not putting your self in that type of place but some days you can't.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Good point RD, but then I am a Canadian & we in Canada do not have the right to carry a firearm. Fact is to obtain a f/arm one has to go thought a Cdn Firearms Safety Course or challenge it which is in writing & physical, but then one also needs to have apply for a Possession & Acquisition License which is done in writing plus proof of the CFS they passed about 85%.

A lot of personal questions that probably stopped ovr 50% of fellow Cdns from even attempting to apply for the PAL as we call it & this must be renewed every 10 yrs again answering personal questions.

Try this simple one out being: During the past two years:
Have you experienced a:
i) divorce, separation or breakdown of a significent relationship?
ii) magor failure in school, loss of job or bankruptcy?
YES a maze of qustions like the above, you never being wrong with the law, drugs, & so much more.

Then said PAL takes around 8 to 10 months to receive PLUS one then must belong to a certified h/gun club & apply for a permit to carry said guns, in a locked gun case, with trigger locks on them directly to the range & back home again. Plus even belonging to a Club they do not want a crazie that might us said PAL & transport permit to kill his wife with the gun used at the range. So one has to work along well with the gun club in safety & outlook on life in general. If they are continually talking about killing someone then not to good as gun club members talk about nothing more then their guns, reloading, their scores or grouping, politics, club matter & such.

Yes I even yatter about m/c riding to some & others will talk about the dangers of travelling the hwys with their cages. See the difference to possibility of a Cdn with a CCW!!!!!!

You see someone mentioned about h/guns & I answered, for in fact I am the Club's h/gun director/instructor & have been so for a number of years. I do not respond to a wife matter, or a dog problem or riding horses or such.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
ZX6R1033 said:
LOL @ the AR15 post. This wouldn't be half as funny without a small story...

I HATE driving my cage in the summer time. Since I spend about 3-5 hours a day at the range EVERY day in the summer, this creates a slight issue. Last summer, I REALLY didn't want to take the cage, so I threw my AR in a drag back and slung it over my back, threw my 9mm and some ammo for both firearms under the rear seat and headed to the range. :D

As to the first post... Yes, I carry. Shoulder holster.
This gives me some idea's on a photo shoot... :p

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
While the gun laws were pretty strict in the 70s I use to go to the old range with my PPC holset rig on me, plus an under arm holster rig wile my guns would be with trigger locks on them & in individual soft gun bags in my rucksack along with ammo, tools, target & ammo in the other pockets.

It was when I was carrying the riot shotgun that I got some strange looks for it was held just under the ruckstack flap & so out to the left & right of my body on a cafe racer to a Yamaha RD-350LC screamer.

Shows our love in f/arms, but also I love in m/cing for once I had ordered a number of cases of primers along with 8 lbs of powder. It was in so hauled out my 350 Yamaha with a tank bag on it & rucksack for the rest. As I purchased all the owner asked "Are you really going to haul all of that on your bike" for he use to ride m/cs I confirmed I would-----it was more t hen most would haul in their cages for most never bought 4 cases of primers & 8 lbs of powder---like a few hundred primers & 1 lb of powder was normal.

I did tell him if he hear of a loud bang & word on the radio about said possible boming he could ask about colour of the bike & if same then he could telll them he might know who was with said load of powder & primers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts