Sportbike World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, the story goes like this....

About a month ago, my computer started randomly rebooting for no apparent reason. I went to work trying to find the solution to my problem...

Step one, Reload HDs... maybe I got a virus? Computer continued to reboot.

Step 2, replace HDs. Problem continued

Step 3, Replace MB and Processor. Problem continued.

Step 4, Replace Memory modules. Problem continued.

Step 5, Replace CD Drives and reload again. Problem continued.

Step 6, Replace video and audio cards. Problem continued.

I finally decided that in spite of everyone telling me the PSU wouldnt be the problem, I was going to replace it. It was the only part remaining that had not been touched. I went out and bought a new one today. I installed it, and booted my computer. after less than 5 minutes, the computer shut down AGAIN.

I am out of options for things to fix or replace, Ive loaded windows several times, Ive done everything I could possibly imagine, and the problem is still there.

I need advice, BAD. (and dont start with something like "buy a dell", there isnt a computer on the market that will do what I need.)

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
I was guess the PSU from the start.

It could be an overheating problem. Most processors will shut down and reboot at a predetermined temp.
Steps to analyze.
See if rebooting takes place at relativly regular intervals.
Get some software to monitor the cpu temp.

I had a simular problem in the past, the computer would reboot halfway into my favorite game. I simply adjusted the reboot temp up 5 degrees and it went away.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I agree with vash, if it's not the power source, then its overheating. Try one of these programs to check the temp of the CPU

Motherboard Monitor

CPU Eat and Cool

MBM will show you the temps from all your sensors on the MB, and depending on the motherboard, allow you to adjust the fan speeds and the CPU shut off temp. CPU eat and cool adjusts the sleep cycles for the processor which forces it to run slower and cooler, but does kill performance. Both are for XP, I assume thats what your running. For a more long term solution, depending on your mobo manufacturor, you should be able to perminatly boost the CPU and other chassis fan speeds. Also try taking off the side pannels of your PC to increase the air flow. You might just need a new case lol. NewEgg.com has pretty good deals on high flow casses. I have 5 fans on my PC and it still runs boarderline to overheating, only other option is a liquid cooling system, but that will cost a fair amount. Or buy one of the high end massive cpu heatsink fan combo's.

Good luck,
Sepias

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The side panels of my case have been off since this problem first started. Buying a new case would be a waste of money.

Ken, I cant figure out where to go to change what actions my computer takes when it senses overheating.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
A case might actually cool worse with the covers off (since it messes up the air channels)
Go to your bios (you know hit Del during the memmory test) there should be settings in there. One menu should show you the current temp, and another should have 2 different controlable set points at which it takes action. You cant control what action it takes, but you can control when.

Of course all of this is motherboard specific so it may be totally different for yours.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If he has a lower end mobo or one from certain PC manufacturors, they dont allow for the tweaking of certain apects like the operating temps. Have you reset the mobo via the dip switches? If you just bought a new mobo of the same model it could be a firmware issue that changed the running temp settings. Reseting the entire mobo would clear it back to the first version. Just an idea though, I doubt its the problem, but I've seen stranger things.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ZX6R1033-

Where is this computer located...is it a work machine or one you own personally? If at work, can you change your location to a server room that has ideal temperature/humidity controls as a short-term solution?

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its a home computer.

New Setup

Motherboard : Asus A8V
Processor: AMD Athelon 64
PSU: Unknown
HD: Maxtor 200gig 7,200 RPM
Memory: Crucial, 1gig
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200 Xtacy
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44

Old setup

Motherboard: Asus A6N
Processor: AMD Athelon XP
PSU: Okia
HD: (1) Maxtor 60gig 7200 rpm, (1) Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm
Memory: PNY (1)1gig, (1)512meg
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 9200 Dual Moniter
Sound Card: M-Audio Delta 44

I looked through BIOS yesterday after work, and I couldn;t find anything for changing the saftey feature for the temp. I pulled the heat sink off, wiped the old (3 day old, wow) grease off, applied new grease, and put it back together. I have a spare ATX case in the garage, I could put a second computer together with my parts from the first one, aside from the HD which was a total loss when the computer crashed the first time. Unfortunatly, I have spent all the money I care to spend on this thing for now... I have too many other things I want. I have replaced every single part in the computer, and the problem is still there. By my math, that means I have spent over $500 that I didnt need to spend in an attempt to get it up and running again.

On a side note... the computer only kicks off when I am trying to run a program that demands a rather high amount of processor. If the computer is ideling, it seems to work OK. The monitering software I was linked to will not even detect the sensors for the CPU, so it is of no help to me at this stage.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
definetly sounds like an overheating problem. Let me look into that board.

Another thing you may want to try is downloading a newer version of bios for the board.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
If its only that one peice of software, then it could be a driver conflicting with the program. Go through and update all your drivers, the ones that came with the components on CD may just be old. Anouther possible problem could be anouther program or software you have on there that could be conflicting. What program is it? If you dont mind me asking.

Sepias

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SepiasSoul said:
What program is it? If you dont mind me asking.

Sepias

Adobe Audition 1.5
Steam Server
Counterstrike Source
Nero
Mozilla Firefox
Mozilla Thunderbird
Limewire
AIM

Those are pretty much all the programs I have on there, too. I really don't believe its a driver problem, since every part in the computer was replaced, and is brand new.

Ken, I tried flashing the bios on the origional motherboard... It did me no good at all.

·
Registered
8,798 Posts
The only thing I could find so far is a place to check the temps in BIOS but not to change the set points. Here is something you could do.
Turn the PC off an let it cool down. Start and immidiatly go to bios, check the temp and record.
Let the computer run a light load for 10-15 minutes (just idle basically) Reboot, check temp and record. Do this a few times so you get some consistancy.
Start your favorite game and wait for the computer to spaz out. As soon as it reboots, check and record the temp. Do this a few times as well.

Now, I'm not too sure how long it takes the cpu to cool down, but I would think you should see some pretty high temps right after it shuts down. I'm going to guess its set to reboot at either 50,55, or 60C. Mine board was set to reboot at 50, and I changed it to 55 to solve the problem.

BTW, did the new MB come with a new fan?

Or save yourself some pain and google up a temp monitor program. There are lots of them out there...

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well... My second computer is officially fked. It bluescreened me this afternoon, and will no longer boot. This was what happened to the last computer. This is the reason I started buying new parts. I dont understand how this could happen again, and in exactly the same way as the last computer. There isnt one single part in there that is from the origional computer. There goes $500 down the drain.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
It has to be some freaky overheating crap, or could the board be shorting to the case? I usually line all the high points on my new cases with electrical tape to prevent shorts. It's unlikely, but since thats the only peice thats been unchanged you might take a look.

Sepias

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hi ZX6R1033-

Do other electrical appliances operate normally in the outlets that you're using for this computer? It seems bizarre that an entirely rebuilt machine is having the same problems. Maybe it's just a "dirty" electrical line.

~ Blue Jays ~

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
All other electrical items I own function fine on this outlet. Including, for the past 6 months, this computer.

In a strange twist, I am currently running my old two HDs that I had believed were totally destroyed. My new HD, however, Is making loud clicking noises (magnet hitting the disks), so I will be returning that tomorrow for a replacement.

I have to keep this short because firefox and my computer arent getting along too well at the moment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts