Sportbike World banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a bit of help from someone who knows more about computers than me.

I have a program that is open-source. I screwed it up a bit, so I decided to uninstall and reinstall. The problem is... I can uninstall it and get rid of the folder in program files, but when I reinstall it, it still has what I screwed up as well as all of my preferences still saved.

How do I get rid of EVERYTHING and start fresh and clean? What is it that I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Lol, sorry. Would the registry have anything to do with it? There's gotta be links to another file (provided it's not saving your changes online and accessing them).

BTW, what program is it that you messed up?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lol, sorry. Would the registry have anything to do with it? There's gotta be links to another file (provided it's not saving your changes online and accessing them).

BTW, what program is it that you messed up?

Probably is the registry, but I am having an insane brainfart right now... I can't remember where any of that shit is stored.

It's flight gear. I installed some scenery wrong. It read it, but it won't load it. I tried setting it back to default via the game, but got an error and the game closed. I deleted the folders, but it still reads them. I uninstalled the game and installed it again, but they still show up in the menu.

I'm getting kind of sick of that program anyway. I cant figure out any way to change your control options via the game, and half the time when I try taking off, it will randomly turn the rudder full-left. It has one helicopter, and I can't figure out how to get it off the ground. Their help system sucks, as does their HTML "Manual" online. Typical open-source game. :(

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
What did you expect for that price? Besides, I told you to try it, not tweak it (and frack it up).

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
You have to learn on the prop jobs, grasshopper. That's how it goes.

You should've seen the sardine can with wings I had to learn to fly in. A Cessna 172 would have felt like a 747 at that point.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
I figured that one out a long time ago. ;)
One thing that will stick with me forever is something a buddy said when flying with me a few years ago while we were scraping canyon walls (my controls) in a Piper Warrior 161 (keep in mind he is now a fighter jock in the air force)

"you sure do take your liberties much closer to the ground."

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing that will stick with me forever is something a buddy said when flying with me a few years ago while we were scraping canyon walls (my controls) in a Piper Warrior 161 (keep in mind he is now a fighter jock in the air force)

"you sure do take your liberties much closer to the ground."

lol. I'd do the same thing. I thought seriously about getting my license, but it seems too expensive for me at the moment.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
It's definitely worth it. I'm gonna work on my helo rating as soon as I get current in fixed-wing again.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's definitely worth it. I'm gonna work on my helo rating as soon as I get current in fixed-wing again.
I have a tendency to get as many endorsements as I can on any license I have ever gone for. Started that way with Hunting when I was 10. Then Boating when I was 12. My auto license is a CDL with everything but Class A and Hazmat, and has a Motorcycle endorsement, too. If I ever got a Pilots license, I'd do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
You might bight off more than you can chew if you get a pilot's license, cause there's a LOT more to it than and driver's license. Single/Multi engine, High performance, Commercial/ATP, seaplane, IFR, CFI, CFII, rotary, it goes on.

·
Strength and Honor
6,144 Posts
Back on topic, the vast majority of open source projects have help forums. If you haven't already tracked those down that's start A. Start B is a Google for the software name and "uninstall". Start C is a perusal through the Registry (Start->Run->regedit) and ensuring you've got all the files and directories showing in Windows Explorer, which is not available by default in XP, and deleting them all.

Good luck.

You did do a system backup before messing around, right? Then Start D might be a recovery operation.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back on topic, the vast majority of open source projects have help forums. If you haven't already tracked those down that's start A. Start B is a Google for the software name and "uninstall". Start C is a perusal through the Registry (Start->Run->regedit) and ensuring you've got all the files and directories showing in Windows Explorer, which is not available by default in XP, and deleting them all.

Good luck.

You did do a system backup before messing around, right? Then Start D might be a recovery operation.
Start A: Been done
Start B: Been done.

Despite the tendency for snake and I to wander off topic nearly all the time... I'm still not a total nub. :D

System restore would back me up 5 days, and I have installed a TON of software between then and now, so I really don't want to do that. The game isn't worth the aggravation at that point.

I'll check out the regedit. I remember going into that part of the system in DOS, but I don't think I've ever even looked for it in windows. Hopefully it will work. Thanks for the walkthrough. :thumbs2:

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Brand new question, but I might as well keep it here, since it is still a computer thread.

I haven't built a computer in a while. To be exact, it was just before the Duo core motherboards came out. Here is my question: Quad core MBs with 2.5gig processors... Does that mean 2.5gigs split up into 4 processors, or does that mean a 10gig computer?

For example... would This be a 10gig computer?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
From what I understand, it all uses a single processor, so I'd say it's still a 2.5gig.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts