Sportbike World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys? My name is Andrew, i am completely new to sportsbikes. I have rode dirtbikes for like 5 years now. (yz125&250) I raced for a few years but stopped about a year ago. Lately "the bug" has bit me again and i have the urge to ride- but this time i want to ride on the road, not on the dirt. I searched around the forum for a while but i never found reccomendations for new riders with advanced dirbike experience. I'm 5'9" and weigh about 170 lbs, when i did race i raced comfortably on a pro circuit engine yz 125. I'm just trying to get a sense of what i should start out with because i really don't want to end up seeing my dad (an ER doctor). Thanks a lot, and i hope to be posting on here much more often.
Andrew.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Welcome Andrew...:D

Your question re: all your dirty experience is a good one..and some of your dirt skillz can be used on a "road / sportbike"

What I'd suggest, is to start on something sorta tame, not a new 600cc sportbike, if possible ride a friends older 600 or a bike like a SV 650 twin, if you were a skilled dirt rider, you should have little problem getting settled in on road bike.

Keep in mind that a sportbike takes some different techniques to ride, vs a dirt bike ( I use to race Dirt track) mainly the difference is in the braking, and steering. The front brakes are 99% of your stopping power, so the rear is seldom used. Steering a sportbike requires countersteering, i.e. push left to turn right, and No, it's Not a good idea to try and get it sideways...:p

On the other hand, if you were a casual weekend dirt rider, I'd suggest a 500cc bike to start on...

if you could, give us an idea on what you'd like to get in the way of a bike....:D

Hope this helps ya some...

·
Registered
526 Posts
Florida

good luck and watch out for all those snow caps there in FL. they cant see shit, drive defensively!!! take the MSF before you even buy a bike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the quick feedback guys i appreciate it. I definantly plan to take the msf course sometime pretty soon. I was really into dirt biking (i rode my track every day for 2 years and raced every weekend). And i hope i can really get into sportsbiking as well. Looking through the forums ive got an idea that it might benefit me to get an older (pre2000) 600 cc as a good started and lead in to a newer 600cc in a year or so? is this a good assumption? In florida the sportsbike scene is pretty big and i hope to get involved in it and find some good people to ride with and hopefully this will become a passion of mine. another added benefit (for me at least) is due to a pretty bad driver history (in florida we also have a big import racing scene. which i was passioante about for a while :barf: ) my insurance is through the roof. as a student this really makes things hard on me. here in florida you do not have to have insurance if you own the title to the bike- so that was another (much less importnat) drawing factor to a bike (the fact i wont have insurance is also ia reason i will not be buying a new bike- im young, not completely retarted).

·
Registered
746 Posts
With your experience on dirt I would also recommend a 2000 or older 600. Then again I had years on a dirtbike and I still started with an old 500. I would say buy an old beater to smash on for a while then buy something worth waxing...

-M-

·
Registered
526 Posts
PavlovsVodka said:
here in florida you do not have to have insurance if you own the title to the bike- so that was another (much less importnat) drawing factor to a bike (the fact i wont have insurance is also ia reason i will not be buying a new bike- im young, not completely retarted).
unless you dont wear a helmet then you have to show some type of liabilty coverage if you ever get stopped. But we know better and your going to wear one:rolleyes:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also started like you Andrew. I came from lots of dirt bike/racing experience. I started on a 2000 R6, and while it took some getting use to, I have handled it pretty well. I am not dragging knees yet, but can get pretty low. The main difference I noticed was at slow speeds. Braking is really about the same. I know someone stated that on the street you use your front brake the most, which is true, but I did the same on dirt and got pretty good at stoppies. Just take it easy, take the MSF and buy the right gear. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I am fortunate for it was both dirt comp & street to hwy riding back in my start to '89 when a badly fractured hip finished me off for dirt comp. So by-by 42 yrs of dirt comp plus some road racing & when I start riding again this Spring that will be my start of 60 yrs of continual riding.

You might be able to shift over to a 600cc sportbike though I would say you might like the Yamaha FZ6 as riding position will be a bit closer to dirt though rear-sets will be up higher & to the rear. Possibly a used 600 or a new or used Suzy SV-650 yet if you are going new then take a look at the latest 650 by Kwacker.

I had no problem adapting to a sportbike for in the late 40s there were no road racers so we were modifying street bikes to road racers & liking some of the changes we passed those on to our street/hwy bikes later to find out we were building Cafe Racers & the same to the Jpn irons as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm definantly going to buy used first- like i said i dont plan to insure the bike- and i know that one rule of biking (Be it MX M/C or a freaking bicycle) is that you will crash at some point and i would hate to crash an 8000 brand new bike whos potential i couldnt even use. are the honda F3's a good buy?

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
Agree that the Honda F3 would be a darn good used bike to latch onto. Still got a lot of snap & go to them, but not to the extremes of the very latest bikes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
F3s are great bikes. I got a 97 as my first bike. Only crashed once my first season. :D I'm pretty much turning into a stunt bike now though.. but it has plenty of power to get you expensive tickets.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
'90s gixxer 6 or ninja 6R

You want to get a Honda though. :D They're reliable and easy to work on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts